Photo

Where is NANFA

36 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

I was working with our membership list and the question came to me... where are we as a group? So I found a tool on the internet that can show us. As of January we are 553 members in (6 in Europe, 13 in Canada and 534 in the USA (representing 43 states) spread out as shown below. I'm not going to draw (or jump to) any conclusions at this point, just wanted to share the data.

nanfa members.jpg
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#2 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

43 in Ohio! Buckeyes in the hizouse. :biggrin:

#3 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

Basically, NANFA members tend to be where the higher diversities of fish are found.

#4 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

84 in the NY/NJ/PA area? That's pretty amazing.

#5 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

Heck, it is amazing that we are international.

#6 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:21 PM

Yes, David, the application sort of automatically groups things. At this resolution I think the 84 represents all of NY, NJ, Phila, and even DC and Maryland.

Its like the 61 in the Atlanta area... at this resolution it includes all of north Georgia, SC, north AL and east TN
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#7 Guest_Owain4_*

Guest_Owain4_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

Jeeze i'm all on my own way up north haha

#8 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:06 PM

Just renewed my membership today (got AC saying I needed to a couple weeks ago). Wow, 18 in New England, we beat out Washington and Oregon by one member with less land area.

#9 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:59 PM

And a big thank you to all of the dues paying members who make this such a great resource!

#10 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

Is KY represented in the 63?

#11 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:36 AM

Man, looks like my fellow Carolinas/Virginia members need to get to recruiting!

#12 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:41 AM

Kentucky is kinda split. As I zoom in, it looks like the Kentucky members that are in the northern part of the state lump into the 63 in the general area of Ohio... but a few members are in the western part of the state and lump into the 32 over in Illinois.

This program does not group by state boundaries, it is doing it by distance, and grouping individual map points based on their distance to other map points.

#13 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

Well heres 2 of us wheres the rest? Thanks for posting the map!

Edited by exasperatus2002, 18 February 2013 - 01:06 PM.

#14 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

Well heres 2 of us wheres the rest? Thanks for posting the map!

Umm. Your status must need updated then, as it says "guest" or.........

#15 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

Matt is right. This is a map of NANFA Membership, hanging out here on the forum is cool, but it is not NANFA... it is just one small part of what we do and who we are... really more of a service that NANFA provides as an outreach. Head over to www.nanfa.com and join!

#16 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:45 AM

Umm. Your status must need updated then, as it says "guest" or.........

Matt is right. This is a map of NANFA Membership, hanging out here on the forum is cool, but it is not NANFA... it is just one small part of what we do and who we are... really more of a service that NANFA provides as an outreach. Head over to www.nanfa.com and join!

My apologies, keep forgetting I'm a nan"fan" & not a member. I really have to get around to joining sometime.

Edited by exasperatus2002, 19 February 2013 - 11:47 AM.

#17 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

My apologies, keep forgetting I'm a nan"fan" & not a member. I really have to get around to joining sometime.

It won't break the bank. Costs about 3 bags of aluminum cans. What is holding you back?

#18 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:28 AM

Wait, could that numbers on a map sorting system be used to map out fish species ranges on a regional map and show distinctive ecosystem boundaries?

If so I could use it to prove or disprove my 6 icthyoprovince theory of New England. A theory that divides the region into 6 distinct fish populations, 4 inland, 2 coastal. Western Vermont, Connecticut Valley, Northern New England, Coastal Drainage (Connecticut to southernmost Maine). Northern marine (north of the cape), and Southern Marine (south of the cape).

#19 FirstChAoS

FirstChAoS
  • Regional Rep

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:29 PM

I am curious how your mapping holds up after a couple years Mike. Have regional demographics of membership changed.

#20 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 03 December 2014 - 06:34 PM

Its a good question let me see what I can do... that software was something I had at my last job, have t see if I can still access it somehow...

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users