My Stream Tank Project

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:15 PM

Why not do something like a baffles or whatever they are called in salt water tanks. Use some larger "boulders" strategically placed to hold back the substrate.

#22 Guest_Ken_*

Guest_Ken_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:11 AM

That would be great. Will be a while yet as these temps are still cold around here. I can message you a couple weeks prior if you'd like.

#23 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:31 PM

That would be great! Thanks!

#24 Guest_Ken_*

Guest_Ken_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:30 PM

Second guessing my original design. This new design would increase the length 24" but would eliminate the center diagonal piece of glass. What do you guys think? Better or Worse? Would be an easier build for sure.... Demensions would be from front center to each end 96"X12"X18"

Attached Files

#25 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:35 PM

I don't know, I personally thought the diagonal made the tank even more appealing, but I'm sure it would complicate the build. I don't know, if I were you I'd stick with the diagonal.

#26 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:50 PM

Agree with keeping the diagonal piece... it adds interest and depth...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#27 Guest_smilingfrog_*

Guest_smilingfrog_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:54 PM

I would vote to keep the diagonal piece as well. If you leave it out (at least if I'm interpreting your diagram correctly) you'll have a corner seam right down the middle of the central portion of the tank. When I look at the picture that is where my attention is initially focused, and I feel a seam in that location would be very distracting.

#28 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:46 AM

I would vote to keep the diagonal piece as well. If you leave it out (at least if I'm interpreting your diagram correctly) you'll have a corner seam right down the middle of the central portion of the tank. When I look at the picture that is where my attention is initially focused, and I feel a seam in that location would be very distracting.

Totally agree! Design #2 would be the handsdown winner if you could get a single molded piece of acrylic for the front panel. Sadly, 16' long acrylic sheets don't grow on trees and they don't come cheap! However a well done joint on acrylic would be less noticeable than a silicone seam due if nothing else to the relative clarities of the materials. Glass just isn't as clear as most people think! Using low iron aka Starphire would help with that, and probably double the cost of the panels. Good masking could make the silicone joint itself fairly unobtrusive.

Edited by Subrosa, 24 March 2013 - 07:51 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users