Gradual lights to prevent headlong rush into wall?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_steve_*

Guest_steve_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:02 AM

I don't know if this will help with your situation or not, but I have trouble with my smallmouth bass being sensitive to sudden lighting changes(and he has the scars to prove it). I've played around with the lighting in the room so that there are certain lights that I always leave on until after the tank lights come on. So far, so good with that situation. With my fish, complete darkness is also a big problem. Any noise, vibration, or sudden light in the room sends the poor fish crashing into everything in the tank. Leaving the right light on in the room all the time seems to have taken care of these issues so far. We call it his "night light".

#22 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:03 AM

No thread-jack intended, but I gotta say... man, I knew that fish was spoiled... but this is a new level... way to go... really made him a part of the family
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#23 Guest_steve_*

Guest_steve_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:44 PM

No thread-jack intended, but I gotta say... man, I knew that fish was spoiled... but this is a new level... way to go... really made him a part of the family

LOL, Yeah, spoiled would probably be an understatement. He's really kind of a big baby from it all.

Another thing I've done to help prevent sudden spooking is to create an area in the tank that is constantly shaded from the lights on tank. I see him hanging out there a lot but I'm not really sure if it's always because of the shade or if it's just that it's at the end of the tank closest to my recliner. He does like being social.

Edited by steve, 22 April 2013 - 07:45 PM.

#24 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:04 AM

Very intersting, Steve. I wonder if it could be your specific SMB that hasn't grown out of his "monsters in the closet" phase. I have a ~14" individual who on exhibit, was destroying his tankmates so he was put on time out in his own 180gal. While he no longer has anyone to pick on, his personality has not changed into a flighty, timid animal. He anxiously awaits for food anytime anyone goes past his tank. I wonder if tank decor has anything to do with it? I will say that ambient lighting further down the hall comes on before his overhead fluorescents do. But I've never seen him flee in terror or have any injuries that would indicate it.
Nick L.

#25 Guest_steve_*

Guest_steve_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:24 PM

Very intersting, Steve. I wonder if it could be your specific SMB that hasn't grown out of his "monsters in the closet" phase.

LOL, Could be, though most of the time mine is similar to how you've described yours, but other than complete darkness, I think it has a lot to do with where shadows fall and the direction they're coming from. I've seen certain lighting conditions where he freaks out when I come around the corner still 10' from the tank. I have to be careful working over top the tank. Shadows coming directly down seem to spook him a lot.

Mine doesn't seem to beg for food from just anyone though. There are only just a few people that he will come to the glass to meet and on the rare occasion that I have to shave my beard, he doesn't seem to reckognize me for a few days.

I think that one of the most important things I've learned about keeping him from getting spooked is to let him see me and my actions before he sees the shadows.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users