Trinity River Natives Tank: Info needed!

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_LoneStarGus_*

Guest_LoneStarGus_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:28 PM

Hi,
I've been doing research on Flora, Fauna, and substrate needed for a 50 Gal. tank featuring natives found in the watershed area of the East and Elm forks of the Trinity River. I already have a good list going of the plants that I will need, but so far, the most prevalent fishes I've been seeing in my area have been Mosuitofish. I really want to feature some of the rarer natives (like killifish, topminnows, sunfish, etc.) , but I haven't really had much luck so far in finding any. If anyone has information in this regard, I'd greatly appreciate it
Thanks.

Edited by LoneStarGus, 25 April 2013 - 03:31 PM.

#2 Guest_don212_*

Guest_don212_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:56 PM

here in fl i have netted all those in the same weedy shorelines. i have found even juvenile sunfish to be lethal killers of the others. topminnows are a type of killie they are active and often on the surface, but quick to disapear . i found i had to exclude sunnys and mosquito fish from my community tank. also i am still learning about plants, but have found that many local plants don't do well in aquaria, i think many have high light requirements. if i were in texas i would like to keep some rio grande cichlids, our only native cichlid

#3 Guest_LoneStarGus_*

Guest_LoneStarGus_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:43 AM

Thanks for the advice. I've been looking for fish in new locations, and have found that my area has lots of green sunfish in addition to mosquito fish. Maybe I could do a species tank featuring the sunfish.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users