55 gallon tank help

12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_MasterJW_*

Guest_MasterJW_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:38 PM

Hello, my uncle is also into natives and currently has a 55 gallon with 1 sunfish( will post pic), and 1 chinese algae eater( was already in there). What other native species could live with the sunfish, who is currently 5 1/2 inches? thanks.

#2 Guest_zoonose_*

Guest_zoonose_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:21 AM

Depends a lot on the sunfish - some get pretty big, many will eat anything that will fit in their mouths, and they can be aggressively territorial. Your first step should be figuring out what kind of sunfish you're dealing with.

#3 Guest_MasterJW_*

Guest_MasterJW_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:38 AM

photo.JPG I think its a longear but I'm not 100%

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:43 AM

Yes. Longear

#5 Guest_steve_*

Guest_steve_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:25 PM

I've had success keeping adult redside dace with a longear sunfish. Other large minnows would probably work out OK also. I also keep some darter species with a longear in the tank, including greensides, rainbows, banded, and logperch. I'm not sure if others have had different experiences with keeping these species with longear sunfish, but it has worked out for me so far. I've just seldom had any luck with keeping sunfish with sunfish due to territorial issues.

#6 Guest_MasterJW_*

Guest_MasterJW_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:08 PM

would 2 or 3 yellow perch and a madtom or darter work with the sunfish?

#7 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:18 PM

would 2 or 3 yellow perch and a madtom or darter work with the sunfish?

Yellow perch grow too large for a 55 gallon tank.

#8 Guest_MasterJW_*

Guest_MasterJW_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:42 PM

The sunfish is now inhaling pellets. Which is a good thing because he was destroying his supply of frozen blood worms.

#9 Guest_MasterJW_*

Guest_MasterJW_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:41 PM

What about a central stoneroller a stonecat and a small school of southern red belly dance? Would the stone cat eat the chinese algae eater? Thanks.

#10 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:42 PM

yes, and the dace
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#11 Guest_MasterJW_*

Guest_MasterJW_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:48 AM

What about a tadpole madtom, would the sunfish attack it, I know they stay rather small.

#12 Guest_dafrimpster_*

Guest_dafrimpster_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:07 AM

I keep horny head chubs with my Longears. It is in a 180g tank though. I don;t know if it would work in a 55g.

#13 Guest_MasterJW_*

Guest_MasterJW_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:22 AM

Would the sunfish bully a flier? would it be able to go with the rest of the fish on the list or would it be over stocked?

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users