New species of bass discovered in Florida

13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:33 AM

Just read it on the underwater times. Heres the link.
http://www.underwate..._id=24069371058

#2 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:07 AM

I've never seen a bass with yellow on the caudal; especially that much of it. Very new, to me at least. Interesting.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#3 Guest_TomNear_*

Guest_TomNear_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:06 PM

Wow. A nomen nudum for a vertebrate in the 21st Century!

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:44 PM

I've never seen a bass with yellow on the caudal; especially that much of it. Very new, to me at least. Interesting.

The image must be a juvenile. Smallmouth and spotted bass both have tri-colored tails at that life stage.

#5 Guest_catfishcain_*

Guest_catfishcain_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:30 AM

I'm excited to see more pictures of it. I bet there are a few people on here that have pictures of that bass when they were out collecting or sampling and don't even know it. Thats one reason I like to keep at least one picture of every species I encounter from different river systems. I add a note to each picture with the date, location and name of the species to help with memory but it is very time consuming. But I still do it any ways incase of discoveries like this one.

#6 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:40 AM

The image must be a juvenile. Smallmouth and spotted bass both have tri-colored tails at that life stage.

Good point. The only immature bass I have ever had access to would be largemouths. Any smallies I have gotten to see would be the very few adult I have caught while fishing.

I'm excited to see more pictures of it. I bet there are a few people on here that have pictures of that bass when they were out collecting or sampling and don't even know it. Thats one reason I like to keep at least one picture of every species I encounter from different river systems. I add a note to each picture with the date, location and name of the species to help with memory but it is very time consuming. But I still do it any ways incase of discoveries like this one.

That's something I try to do to, although I'm not nearly as thorough as I would like to have myself believe. Not only is it a nice resource to have on hand for instances like this, it is also a "citizen scientist" way to monitor the dynamics of any body of water.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#7 Guest_sbtgrfan_*

Guest_sbtgrfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:03 PM

I'd like to see more pictures too. According to the article linked
"The Choctaw bass is very similar in appearance to its relative, the spotted bass. The physical differences between the two species are not easily seen with the naked eye, one reason they had never before been distinguished despite decades of bass studies in the region."
So I'm interested in seeing if there is any difference between the Choctaw and Spotted bass from adults as well as juveniles. Physically the same, genetically different...interesting.

#8 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:04 AM

I think everyone needs to take a deep breath and chill, as Tom sort of alluded to the point.

#9 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:51 AM

I wonder if theres a difference in spawning times as well to keep them from cross breeding with the reg. spotted bass.

#10 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:39 PM

The fat lady has not sung yet. Bet she won't.

#11 Guest_ShoalBandit_*

Guest_ShoalBandit_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:00 PM

I wonder if theres a difference in spawning times as well to keep them from cross breeding with the reg. spotted bass.

I highly doubt it. The two species are not found together (naturally) in any drainage system to my knowledge. I think the general consensus is these were spotted bass a long time ago that somehow became isolated in the Gulf drainages east of the Mississippi River either by stream capture or during changes in sea level. The Guadalupe bass diverged from the spotted bass in a similar way West of the Mississippi River.Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by ShoalBandit, 14 May 2013 - 12:58 PM.

#12 Guest_ZiegenSauger_*

Guest_ZiegenSauger_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:54 PM

Hello, attaching two specimen I collected in a canal by the Everglades where I live, with the yellowish/tri-color tail. My take is bass color tend to be very similar for the untrained eye. These two are juvenile. The one in my son's had is a little over 2 inch caught in an improvised rod/hook. The other one - apparently of the same species and caught in the very same spot - was trapped in a minnow bottle trap and is about 75% the size of the first (I am keeping this in a well planted tank),DSC03309.JPG DSC03314.JPG

#13 Guest_ShoalBandit_*

Guest_ShoalBandit_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:38 AM

Hey ZiegenSauger that's a Florida bass (Micropterus floridanus) also known as the Florida largemouth bass—it's the only member of the black bass family found that far south in the state of Florida.

#14 Guest_ZiegenSauger_*

Guest_ZiegenSauger_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:58 PM

Thank you ShoalBandit, appreciate it so much. I have been observing this guy while I observe Mosquitoes. As we all know, Eastern Mosquitoes are very abundant around, I even have dedicated tank for them. This bass, specifically around this size, always comes to pay a visit while I observe Mosquitoes for color diversity and others. Really appreciate solving the curiosity I had for the specific species (I hold one tank for one juvenile of this guy).

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users