Trask Stream

1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:37 AM

I decided to head up to Trask Stream in Sunapee again to look for red bellies. My first time doing so in spring. My other two trips have been in fall and I end up bringing back 2 or 3 sizable ones releasing the tiniest ones back. I was hoping to find one in breeding colors as in fall colors they are just black,

Posted Image

It's tough switching from bird mode to fish mode (and was tough changing during the fall too) , I have trouble handling two nature obsessions at once.

Usually when I sample here I dip my net under the overhanging trees and shrubs and end up with a mix of chubs and dace. Today I only got creek chub,

Posted Image

I went to a shallow weedy area on the other side of the road and got this. My first thought was a red belly (I thought i saw two stripes) but looking at this photo it could just be a blacknose. Then again they are good at hiding their pale stripe.

Posted Image

Then I got a blacknose. My first definate one from this stream. I suspected they were their before, but when the dace all go dark and featureless for fall it is tough to tell.

Posted Image

If my first dace is a blacknose and not a red belly this means that my first trip to Trask without camera trouble is also my first without a red belly.

I also got a couple small mussels.

Posted Image

The wet soggy fields from the recent rain made the area popular with waterfowl too,

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:41 PM

Looks like a pretty stream. Love those white birches. Reminds me of being a kid up north. And the geese doing their anhinga impression is pretty funny!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users