Controlling Algae for New Native Keepers

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Jude_*

Guest_Jude_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:42 AM

I am working on starting up a 20 gallon long native tank (Tennessee River drainage in Alabama), and, speaking as a tropical fish keeper, one of my main concerns is algae. I plan to plant the aquarium if possible, as well. What are some fish and/or inverts that could help to control algae? I'm used to snails, but I'm concerned that a population explosion could occur if I don't know what I'm doing, so what are some species for which I should be on the lookout? Or, alternatively, how could I control the population? Thanks in advance!

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:54 PM

I don't see the reason to control snails. The eat dying plant matter not living for the most part. But also, many natives (darters for sure) are snail eaters and it is almost hard to keep snails going in a darter or sunfish tank.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_steve_*

Guest_steve_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:20 PM

I second Michael's thoughts on the snails. I've never thought that I had too many and I only occasionally find a few small ones hiding in the plants that I harvest from my darter tank. I don't think anyone has ever found a NA native that eats algae as cleanly off the glass as a plecco does. The best way I've found to control algae is by using what's called an algae scrubber for biological filtration for the tank. By providing a better environment in a sump for algae to grow in than what is in the tank it not only filters the water, but will, for the most part, keep algae from growing inside the main tank itself. Plants will also help control algae to a large extent, but it can take a while for them to get growing fast enough to outcompete the algae for nutrients. Eventually though, if your plant growth is fast enough and your fish stocking density is low enough, your algae troubles should be minimal.

Another approach is to just accept algae. Wether it's growing in a sump or in the main tank it is still providing benificial biological filtration for the water.

Edited by steve, 14 May 2013 - 05:22 PM.

#4 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:24 PM

Put the lights on a timer. Timers are very inexpensive. I bought mine for $12 at Walmart and plugged a six outlet extension cord into it. The lights went into the extension cord, the filters went into the non-timered outlet. I reduced the hours of light from 16 to 8 - 12 hours a day and haven't had a problem with algae since.

Snails aren't really a problem in native fish tanks. My darters and pygmy sunfish ate them all up.
If you have an extreme dislike of snails, levamisole hydrochloride will take all the invertebrates out without killing your plants. Copper sulfate will wipe out invertebrates but liquidize plants, too.

Edited by EricaWieser, 14 May 2013 - 05:27 PM.

#5 Guest_Draros_*

Guest_Draros_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:42 PM

I've found stone rollers to be quite effective at minimizing algae on the bottom, and on any objects in the tank. Like Steve said though they are not plecos and don't manage to eat it off the sides. I've tried snails several times, however I can't keep them alive long enough to get them to eat the algae. Even when I found some native snails to big for my darters to eat they just tortured them enough they stayed inside their shells till they died.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users