DFW AREA

17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bruce23_*

Guest_bruce23_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:36 AM

Hello again,
Im starting to prepare to go out collecting and wanted to know, from the people who live the Dallas/Ft. worth area, what different fish have you encountered? You dont HAVE to give a specific location. And also some pics wouldnt hurt.
Thanks in advance.

#2 Guest_LoneStarGus_*

Guest_LoneStarGus_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:47 PM

Depends on what part of the Metroplex you're in. I've seen bluegill and dollar sunfish in White rock creek, along with largemouth and mosquito fish. If you're looking for some of the rarer natives, try heading out to Lubbock - it's on the headwaters of the Brazos river, and with a little luck, you might find some black stripe topminnows in some of the calmer, more vegetated areas. I wouldn't recommend fishing the Trinity, unless you're wiling to drive out to Parker County and fish in the waters that feed into Lake Weatherford.
There's a lot more information I'm sure I'm forgetting (I'm a newbie to this forum myself), but hopefully this is of some help to you. If you'd like to get a better idea of the types of fish in the area, or you're interested in a particular species, go to the checklist section at fishesoftexas.org - it's a great way to ID fish, and it's completely free.

Edited by LoneStarGus, 16 May 2013 - 05:49 PM.

#3 Guest_bruce23_*

Guest_bruce23_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:05 PM

Thanks! I went out the other day and caught a pair of blackstripes and a bunch of red shinners right down the street from where i live. I'm looking for some darters and other smaller fish. If you know of any areas that might have some....

Oh, and can someone please post some pics of riffles so I can know what they look like?
Thanks!

#4 Guest_LoneStarGus_*

Guest_LoneStarGus_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:53 PM

Riffles in the Dallas area are either shallows over limestone bedrock with occasionan growths of filamentous algae, or over a bed of large, smooth, and flat limestone pebbles with occasional stands of spikerush and water pennywort. I'd recommend doing some research yourself, though.

#5 Guest_LoneStarGus_*

Guest_LoneStarGus_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:02 PM

Also, in response to your darter question, take a look at the Fishes of Texas online checklist. It should tell you where to look for the species you're after.

Edited by LoneStarGus, 17 May 2013 - 05:03 PM.

#6 Guest_Usil_*

Guest_Usil_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:18 AM

What area did you get the red shiners?

#7 Guest_bruce23_*

Guest_bruce23_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:24 AM

Thanks for the info. I caught them in Grand Prairie, in Fish Creek.

#8 Guest_bruce23_*

Guest_bruce23_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:35 PM

I got to see my first ever wild gar today, while I was fishing the Trinity. He was about 2 feet long. Unfortunately I wasn't the one who caught him.
I will be going back tomorrow!

#9 Guest_bruce23_*

Guest_bruce23_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:15 PM

Has anyone ever sampled the waters coming from the Trinity? If so what did you find?

#10 Guest_LoneStarGus_*

Guest_LoneStarGus_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:10 PM

I've seen spotted gar, blackstripe topminnows, mosquitofish, green sunfish, largemouth bass, and crayfish in waters between the East and Elm forks of the Trinity. Blackstripes seem to prefer steeper banks than mosquitofish do. Gars prefer areas with more emergent vegetation, and bass prefer submerged or floating vegetation. Greens are more common than any other sunfish, tolerating a wider range of habitats, but seem to prefer clearer waters with less of a current, and have an appetite for aquatic invertebrates.

#11 Guest_bruce23_*

Guest_bruce23_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:12 PM

Yeah, Im keeping a couple blackstripes. I saw someone catch a 2 ft. spotted gar the other day. Thats what I'll be after the next time I go.

#12 Guest_bruce23_*

Guest_bruce23_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:17 PM

Have you seen any darters near the Trinity?

#13 Guest_LoneStarGus_*

Guest_LoneStarGus_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:38 PM

Seriously, you need to look at this: http://www.fishesoft...s/dallas-county.
Each entry on this checklist has a link to the relevant animal's taxonomy page, where you can learn where they've been found, what habitats they frequent, and how big they get. I use this a guide for finding and identifying the fish I encounter. If I'm not sure of an animal's species, I consider habitat, locality, and size to make an educated guess as to what it might be. This'll give you all the information you need to find yourself some slough or dusky darters.

#14 Guest_LoneStarGus_*

Guest_LoneStarGus_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:29 AM

I saw some dusky darters today, Bruce. They're actually really common in the Jackson branch of White Rock Creek.

By the way, how on earth did you manage to catch your blackstripes?

#15 Guest_bruce23_*

Guest_bruce23_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:21 PM

I saw some dusky darters today, Bruce. They're actually really common in the Jackson branch of White Rock Creek.

By the way, how on earth did you manage to catch your blackstripes?

I went out yesterday and got some really colored up Red Shiners and and about 20+ blackstripes. We only kept three and threw back the rest. We only seined a small portion of this creek. I caught them with a seine. Where ever I see them there are almost always sunfish and red shiners.

What city did you see the darters?

#16 Guest_LoneStarGus_*

Guest_LoneStarGus_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:01 PM

I saw the Darters in Dallas.

#17 Guest_bruce23_*

Guest_bruce23_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:36 PM

Are you closer to downtown 'cause I've seen a couple of creeks while driving down there.?.?.
And I just went down there and was thinking of checking it out but decided not to (rainy day).

#18 Guest_LoneStarGus_*

Guest_LoneStarGus_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:16 PM

I'm upstream of White Rock lake, if that gives you any idea. Downtown Is to the southwest of the lake. Like I said, I found the darters in the Jackson Branch of White Rock Creek, just past the Royal lane crossing. You ought to be able to find it on Google maps. It's not an easily accessible fishing spot, though, which probably explains why, compared to other Dallas creeks, this one is relatively healthy (I'm pretty sure I saw a freckled madtom there.)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users