Tennessee Snorkel 2013

15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:40 PM

I took a day trip yesterday as the weather was bright blue but the water a chilly 60 degrees. I lasted 6 hours before the shivering shakes took over as the sun dropped behind the tree tops. The water was reasonably clear especially considering the torrential rains that occured while we were in Kentucky. Levels have receded substancially but the flow is still higher than normal. Issac and i visited this site after the convention but the visibility was only about 3 or 4 feet then, which was a week ago. Today i could see 10 feet or more at times. Though in both cases we saw lots of tuberculed males i could find no Chub mounds that i had hoped for. Stonerollers, River Chubs, Striped Shiners were all tuberculed as were high males of Warpaints and Whitetails. I hoped to see a mass of spawning, electric orange, Tennessee Shiners but suspect they are awaiting the Chubs to get back to work as a few were partially colored. My theory is that the massive rains blew out all the nests and most species are awaiting a return to normal flows to begin reconstruction. A visit in another week, without rain, should be interesting.

I gave up on Olympus after 3 models leaked, and several of 1 of the models. A Merry Fishmas to myself provided a Pentax WG-2 which is outfitted with a ring of LED lights, super macro focusing and a durable body. My KY photos had various issues but after reading the manual, fine tuning settings and a bit more patience i got some reasonable photographs yesterday.

So it begins...

01-Flow.JPG

An inviting perspective to the day ahead.

02-SnailWallow.JPG

An interesting wallow pattern was found in the layered stone. Various sized pockets were found throughout a sectioned flow, formed by spinning stones grinding ever deeper. The snails appear to be taking refuge from the swifter flow above.

03-Inviting.JPG

Looking upstream, such fine clarity on a sunny day.

04-Greenside.JPG

I do not get to see Greensides in color very often, but it is Springtime today. Usually difficult to approach i flushed out this big male and with patience was able to take this photograph approaching ever closer. I am very happy with the results.

05-Mirage.JPG

More ages of exposure as the slab wears.

06-Whitetail.JPG

06-Whitetail-cc.JPG

I was suprised to see a Whittail Shiner already tuberculed. They must spawn all through the snorkeling season as i see them tuberculed into September and even October. Cyprinella Galactura. Galactura, i like saying that. Ga Lac tur a
I experimented with some color alteration / correction for the second image.

07-Upstream.JPG

Looking upstream to the next riffle ahead.

08-Wall.JPG

And behind me a massive wall dripping with water and moss.

09-Snake.JPG

I had to detour through the woods to bypass the shallow rocky run and came across this guy laying in the sun. His long thin tail rattled the leaves before he had enough of my ever increasing shadow and crouch.

10-Redline1.JPG

I explored quite awhile in the pool upstream and came across a couple long, fine lined, Logperch nose to tail. As i fumbled with my camera settings they seperated but i followed them a good while. I was sure they were sparring when i first caught glimpse of them, something i have never seen before. Though skittish they were content to flip stones while i waited for a tussle. When i first saw them the fine lined black details on their bodies seemed intensified, perhaps a result of their sparring activity.
Heading back downstream, just short of the rocky run, i glimpsed a pair of Redlines lip and tail locked together. For 15 minutes i watched, photographed and videoed this Redline nip, tug and wrestle. Redlines are often hard to photograph as they tend to hide underneath the stones and are usually found in the faster rocky flows. These guys were near oblivious to my presence and i was amazed and pleased to witness the persistant battle. I have not heard of other accounts of Redline tussles nor photographs but i am sure they are plenty common enough during the spawning season but in all my years i have never seen such. I have yet to watch the videos and if appropiate and time and interest allows i hope to edit and assemble a YouTube video.

11-Redline2.JPG

He's going for the tail again. Often they would be near motionless except for their rapid breathing.

12a-Redline3.JPG

Back to the tails in the lips again. This is pretty much how they appeared when i first spotted them and seemed to be their favored strategy. I am not sure about the odd glare on the belly of the top Redline, marring an otherwise nifty photo. The finnage of both seemed to be undamaged. Eventually with my ever increasing camera they seperated, with a sigh of relief i suspect. One kept prancing about the battle site and the other a few inches away under a stone peering out. So who won?

12b-NipsofFury.JPG

Nips of Fury!

13-Reflections.JPG

Looking up while underwater. I wonder what they see?

14a-Crawfish.JPG

These are the common Crayfish of my area, saddled backs. This one i backed up til he was out of the water.

14b-Crawfish.JPG

Raccoon concerns? He sure seems hunkered down.

15-Rainbow.JPG

Quite a few big Rainbows ready for the frying pan. Spear guns are illegal but i suspect effective for culling these non natives.

16b-RiverChub.JPG

Looking for her mate.

16-RiverChub.JPG

The big male, he would never allow a close approach. Their heads sure do swell and with the sharp tubercules i bet they are near lethal to contenders. Sometimes you can lie close to an active Chub mound and be content for many, many minutes. Others such as Jeremy and Dave of Freshwaters Illustrated... hours!

17-FemaleRedline.JPG

18-FemaleRedline2.JPG

What those males were so excited for. Plump, gravid and ready. Striking is the coloration and patterning difference between the males and females of this species. I always note the creamy hourglass caudal spot that both carry. Their body shape is also the same, and they both have those radiating lines on their faces.

19a-Redline.JPG

Back downstream alongside the deep pool i was approached by several big Redhorse. Usually they are nervous but these swam right up to me, inches from my face, looking at me through my face mask. Curious, and friendly today. Downstream, just as the pool descended into a rocky run, i found several gravel wallows exposing the larger cobble. I wonder if they had been spawning earlier? No activity was observed at these wallows but tuberculed Stonerollers and Striped Shiners were patroling nearby so again i suspect they were awaiting the stars to realign and the moon to glow and the sun bright and the flow steady. Do you think? I have a hard time with these Redhorse identities. I don't think it is a River Red but look at that big anal fin, but his head seems more streamlined. Help me, help me please.
:)

20-Rockbass.JPG

I always like seeing these red eyed lurkers. Blurry picture but i like the composition. Sometimes they are quite approachable.

21-Snubs.JPG

The ever common Tennessee Snubnoses, nicely colored and usually paired this time of year, the male relentlessly chasing a female all day long. Depositing fertilized eggs wherever it seems appropiate, here, there, everywhere.

How many species did i see?

Stonerollers, Hogsuckers, River Chubs, Bigeye Chubs.
Sunfish: Bluegill, Redbreast, Rock, Smallmouth Bass and big Bass unknown. A large Bass was guarding a nest of clumped and fungused eggs. I wish i had taken a photo of the nest but them Bass can bite. I think i caught a glimpse of a Longear. Sunfish will be spawning as the summer grows warm.
Shiners: Tennessee, Whitetail, Warpaint, Mirrors with their triangle caudal spots, pearlescent Striped, maybe Telescope. I still do not know what to look for to correctly ID Telescopes on the flyby.
Darters: Greenside, Logperch, TN Snubs, Redlines, maybe a Gilt on the move and one wary Blotchside Loggie. Bandeds if i had looked among the water willow. I saw several Speckleds the week before with Issac a mile upstream. They should be here to, you have to look along the shallow sand bars typically.
Rainbow Trout, who put them here!
Friendly Redhorse, idenity unknown.

No Sculpins, Dace, Madtoms, Catfish, Drum. No Rainbow Darters. No Topminnows.

I bet i could have seen more if i had been a bit more persistant but the shivering cold won before the light failed. Still 20 for sure on a pretty day, a day i figure as my first real snorkel of 2013.

Headed to the Citico Saturday!

Edited by Casper, 16 May 2013 - 06:41 PM.

#2 Guest_James_*

Guest_James_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:43 AM

I've often wondered what it would look like to a fish looking up at the shore. Interesting perspective. I enjoyed your account and the tussling Redline darters.

#3 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:29 AM

Love the photography, Casper. Looks like a great time. The darter tussles are very interesting. Bet you're right on your chub nest theory.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#4 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:25 PM

Great photography! Cant wait for the video.

#5 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:58 PM

Great photos and report, Casper. You saw some neat stuff. Very cool to see the fighting Redlines. I'm looking forward to the videos and Citico report.

#6 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:03 AM

Very Nice Casper! Glad you have gotten some clear water finally! You got some good photos there, and that Redline darter fight is really something. It's amazing that they actually bite each other, I'm still not used to the idea of them being so vicious to each other.

Those snubnose are spawning in that photo? I saw some the other day spawning while I was snorkeling and could not believe the colors. Much bolder coloration than those. But the ones I caught last month spawned in my tank after I brought them home and had coloration much more like yours. Maybe I have stumbled across a particularly beautiful population, but I am still relatively unfamilliar with them.

#7 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

Looks like i forgot to include the Redhorse photo in the original report. Ed tells me it is likely a Golden. We saw a lot of Goldens in spawn mode in the Citico Saturday so these must be the Golden Days. Some of the males were black sided! The Citicos were much more skittish, where as the other site's were almost friendly.

19b-Redhorse.JPG

SC Matt... Looks like my theory of the mound rebuild is correct as attested to by Bryce's constructive husband and wife Chub team. He was there 4 days later just a bit downstream. New rains have again raised the levels but hopefully not the torrents of our post KY event. I hope to return Tuesday as the splashers will be active all Memorial Day weekend.

Meet Me In The Creek James... I plan on taking a lot more photos looking up but i refuse to strap on 50 pounds to do so. I don't swim so well but float plenty fine. When standing above fish they generally scatter figuring we might be a dipnet wielding Heron but laying beside them calmly, they soon approach inquisitivily.

Exasperated, Issac and Derek... as for the sparring Redlines the latter videos turned out well as i moved in close, steadied the camera against a stone and set my focus tight. I shot in the 4 resolution modes available but ONLY the lowest 640 x 480 at 29 FPS ( frames per second ) will play smoothly ( or be able to edit ) on my "state of the art" XP system. A new system is called for. I took the files to Ed's after our Citico trip and we stayed up all night watching them from his Windows 8 laptop to his big screen TV via a HDMI cable. Wowee the quality is mind blowing. We even named one of the Redlines "Leechy" as he carried several micro small leechs on his fins. You can see Leechy's second dorsal sports one leech in the photos i posted earlier. He was the dominate duelist tugging at the other relentlessly. Both have tears on the leading spine of the first dorsal and a few smaller tears but if they kept up that activity i suspect they would be ragged warriors.

I will see what i can do about compiling something, perhaps with my son's system. I have given the .mov files to several others so maybe they can do something as well.

Derek... Tennessee Snubnoses and their close kin ( Blackside, Cumberland and i suspect other splits ) seem to look best in the late winter early spring but always the males have the red dots on their uppersides and appear "colorful" even in the summer. But they intensify during spawning and yes the photo i took was of a pair looking to spawn. They just constantly move about, the pursuing male generally much larger than the female who either feels pestered or is looking for a good egg drop spot. What to watch for is the male's nose color as it can enhance and change and even pulse before your eyes. Teal, yellow, vibrant green, blue depending on the sub species. Keep watching, stir the fine gravel with you fingers as they gather and close in. You may have seen a unique population but more likely you saw them in their premium prime.

The Citico offered new images but i am in recovery mode and back to real work the next few days. Saturday we will be seining South Chickamauga and with the turbid water there i suspect i will break out Bryce's and Michael's gifted photo tanks. In a couple more Saturdays is Tennessee's Free Fishing Day, June 8 when we can seine all day and snorkel Sunday, tubidity permitting.

:)

Edited by Casper, 21 May 2013 - 11:31 AM.

#8 Guest_EBParks_*

Guest_EBParks_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:50 PM

Wow fantstic photos and narrative Casper!

#9 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:59 PM

awesome Casper!

#10 Guest_LiquidPyro33_*

Guest_LiquidPyro33_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:00 PM

Those are some awesome pics! Good job

#11 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:02 PM

Citico, May 18, 2013

I assisted on my first Cherokee National Forest snorkel of 2013. My scheduled 4 Conasauga trips had been canceled due to the high flows that risked sweeping the
middle schoolers far downstream.

Though rain was forecast and i drove through some misting, above water the day was mostly dry. Arriving a bit late, Ed was already telling the Tennessee Wild folks of the Citico's inhabitants and i recognized a few faces from the Conasauga including a young couple who had tapped me on the back last year, as i lay face down in the river. Here they were, converts to the life below and now NANFA members to boot.

I had to double layer my suits as the water was read at 60 degrees. No sun and the sky overcast had most folks whooping as they entered, but the water was clear and we were soon fascinated with what was presented before us. Big Gar cruising, Redhorses in mass, Hogsuckers and tiny multicolored Darters new to most eyes. We explored several pools and runs and broke for a quick lunch and back into the water heading further upstream. Logperch flipping stones, frosty Warpaints, Rainbow Trout eager for canned corn. We don't turn stones in the Citico but we nudged out a lamprey and a feather gilled mud puppy that were much photographed. Being an assistant and speaking the usual snorkel garble i didn't take many pictures but when the 2nd immersal session ended and the Wild folk skinned off their wetsuits while the girls packed the gear, Ed and i took advantage of the newly appearing sun.

We walked downstream a quarter mile and slide down the bank and were soon walking abreast through the wide shallow gravel runs keeping our eyes alert for a mound. We had seen tuberculed Chubs and a few Tennessee Shiners that hinted of orange but still no mounds. We dipped into a deep run below a riffle and there were dozens of Redhorse, Goldens according to Ed and some with wide black sides, high males Ed pronounced, though they appeared as a different specie to my eye. Just upstream several were gathered in a shallow depression but we could not get close enough to observe any shuddering. They were skittish and with the awkward twisting of our heads made the site most difficult.

We played around a bit more chasing Darters for video, sneaking up on wary Longnosed Gar, another Lamprey, being cruised by a massive diamond scaled black Buffalo, and me usually without my camera at ready. The fast current broke us loose a couple times tumbling both of us downstream, flailing for a hand or toe hold. Very disorrienting, and a bit bruising. I finally was able to kick my ankle up into some overhanging branches and thus hang out into the flow and shoot some decent video of the amassed Redhorse mixed in with with a variety of other species. I shot the videos at various resolutions and were able to watch all that evening on the big screen via an HDMI "magic" cable. 18" Redline Darters fighting and biting!
An excellent weekend. Full Service BBQ, extra ribs please, in Maryville.

Snorkel.JPG

Snorkeling pod heading upstream.

BluebreastedRedline.JPG

A bluebreasted Redline.

RedlineFemale.JPG

A distinguished Redline female.

385-Jess-Redlines-reduced.JPG

Redlines by Jessica. Jessica is new to the Citico and shot this nice pair of
Redlines!

Crawfish.JPG

Crayfish in hold.

WWWGreenside.JPG

Greenside. Ed stated they had W's on their sides and i always said U's but they
are certainly W W Waas.

CiticoGang.JPG

Citico Gang drying out as seen through a timed cold fogged lens.

BridgeView.JPG

Bridgeview upstream. Rain began to gently fall on the surface ending our day, well up til 3 watching fishy videos!

#12 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:08 PM

After seining South Chick on Saturday i decided to snorkel it Memorial Day as the water had appeared somewhat clear over the gravel runs. Not so, visibility was 1 foot and a murky 2 at the best. I did add Gar to the 18 Saturday species, as several were seen from the swinging bridge. Walking down to the gravel bar i turned and waded upstream hoping to find a Gar spawn to no success. The mosquitos near drove me crazy walking the trails and after an hour or so i fast walked home and jumped in the cement pond to wash the itch away.

There is another stream just 2 or 3 miles from home that feeds into South Chick. It is named Spring Creek, and though urban and trashed with junk and broken glass, hosts a suprising diversity. The water was clear on this pretty day as not much rain has fallen during the last week and its primary source is a spring at the nearly famous Lake Winnipesaukee, the happy place to be.

www.lakewinnie.com

I accessed downstream of the bridge and proceeded to lay in several shallow runs. The temperature was comfortable and i was bareskin these last days of May. Visibility was an impressive 4 or 5 foot and i could easily make out several species.

Noted were...

Hogsuckers ( several large ones in the small runs )
Stonerollers ( plenty and a few with fading tubercules )
Bluntnose Minnows ( common )
Redline Darters ( fancy and friendly )
TN Snubnose Darters ( still looking good and out and about )
Greenside Darters ( lurking under the big stones )
Rainbow Darters ( beautiful and alongside the runs mixed in with the woody debris )
Striped Shiners ( the most common Shiner and a couple big tuberculed males )
Whitetail Shiners ( proud males guarding spawn sites )
Stargazing Minnow ( alone and an uncommon sight. Remniscent of Riffle Minnows from the Conasauga )
Bigeye and River Chubs, Gambusia, Blackstriped Topminnows.
Sunfish: Bass, Redbreast, Longear, Bluegill, Rock and Warmouth.

I had forgotten my camera and was content to relax and find good vantage points in the shallow stream. Lots of crayfish, plenty of snails and asian clams. Bedrock, gravel sweeps and cobble scatterd with urban cast offs, tires, bricks, broken bottles, fabric and toys. The most striking fish seen was a Warmouth that i am nearly 100% sure of even with my obscured view. It was big, dark and beneath a jam pile of branches guarding his nest. I eased my fingers into the nest expecting a quick snap but he was mostly concerned with the ever raiding Longears, Bluegill and Redbreasts picking at his nest's perimeter. I tried to ease him out with a tri forked stick but he slide by it gently each time. I could see his dark side flecked with gold sparkles and i know of no other specie it could be. The oddity was his very dark appearance. I thought of those Bluespotted Sunfish i pull from the murky depths of Tates Hell.

Saturday we got 18 species seining in South Chick with over a dozen seiners working a couple hours and today i got 18 resting on my belly all alone. That says something for taking the easy way!

I have seen other species here... Green Sunfish, Shellcrackers and Blacknose Dace, Speckled Darters. I would suspect Sculpins being a spring run but can't recall any. I really should explore more sites up and downstream of this convenient access.

Headed north into the Smokys this weekend. Camera and spare batteries not to be forgotten.

#13 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:29 PM

Awesome photos Casper! Sounds like you had some great snorkels.

I was also recently surprised at how nice-looking Warmouth can be. I saw a few large ones in FL. Like you said, dark with gold speckles. I used to have a young one in an aquarium years ago. I remember being impressed with its color-changing ability, but it never looked this good. I guess I never really saw a mature one in prime condition before.

#14 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:15 PM

That's one bashful looking cray. Glad you got some good snorkeling in. Like the redline photo, too. Maybe next time you can get some video of that snorkler pod porpoising. That would be something! :biggrin:
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#15 Guest_MichiJim_*

Guest_MichiJim_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:03 PM

Awsome stuff as usual, Casper. Thank you.

#16 Guest_Usil_*

Guest_Usil_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:17 PM

Great report and pictures.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users