Micro-fishing

52 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:27 PM

Bait works so good but you spend so much time prepping - with flies it's one after the other with out fussing with bait.

I drove my Dad crazy learning to flyfish in the storied trout streams of the Catskills, I became an expert in hooking shiners and dace and chubs - on purpose. In those days, fish like that were thrown on the bank for the 'coons. I loved 'em cause they were pretty and much easier to catch than trout. At 10 I knew more about the species in the streams than many grownups. Thanks to an understanding Dad, some size 22 midge flies and a dogeared copy of McClane's Fishing Encyclopedia.

For those near the coast, some frozen squid pieces dropped between the rocks of jetties or tide pools will bring endless numbers of strange creatures to boggle the mind.

Been doing for decades, as a way to avoid the skunk when nuthins bitin and as a relieable way to grab live bait. Not crazy about using it to collect for captivity. Have done it, not a great track record. Handling is an issue. Catch and release is tough on any fish. Tiny fragile ones might be best kept for bait or feeders or science specimens.

#42 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:19 PM

Bait works so good but you spend so much time prepping - with flies it's one after the other with out fussing with bait.

I feel the same way. Bluegill fishing as an example. With a flyrod, I can catch roughly 50% more fish than my buddy next to me using Wax worms. No difference in skill, just more time in the water.

#43 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:26 PM

It seems that time in the water is often the reason one person catches more fish than another. You meet a lot of people who obsess over technique, bait, gear, etc, but they don't catch fish because they spend all their time retying and messing with gear and stuff.

#44 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:04 PM

Here is a good example of a midge suitable for micro-fishing. https://www.davidson...fo-detail.html
Variety of colors, and goes down to size 26.

Oh, and I like these zebra midges. They go down to 24. https://www.davidson...ung-detail.html

#45 Guest_Stickbow_*

Guest_Stickbow_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:05 PM

My biggest problem at this point in keeping my bait/fly in the water is my eyes - even with brand new progressives, I can't see the eye or the 1/2# tippet, and half the time can't see the blasted earthworm segment/wax worm chunk/fly I'm trying to use. When I try tying the baby-fine tippet to the #24 hook my fingers are covered in fish/worm slime, and I'm completely hopeless.

I gave up using my tiny hooks yesterday afternoon after a little bluegill snapped my tippet and I had to re-tie. Used a #14 hook and just worked on larger fish, figuring out what was in a new-to-me feeder creek that magically appears from under our town. I figured it would be nasty water and little life, but I got action from enough fish to determine that there are a ton of fish in this 200 yard long (on the surface) drainage ditch/creek. I assume they are coming upstream from the Muckalee Creek (a Flint river feeder stream).

Very few "minnows", lots of bluegills and various catfish. I think that's because it's very, very shallow except the holes where huge crayfish and nice sized bluegills/cats live.

#46 Guest_CMStewart_*

Guest_CMStewart_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:27 AM

Stickbow, I have two suggestions for you. One is to tie a bunch of small flies onto perhaps 8" of tippet, at home with magnifying lens and good light. Tie surgeons loops in the tippet ends so you can loop to loop them onto your line (I believe surgeon's loops are stronger than perfection loops). Another possibility is to get a C&F threader and put a half dozen or so flies on it. You can then transfer them to your tippet as needed during the day.

#47 Guest_CMStewart_*

Guest_CMStewart_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:00 PM

Satinfin shiner (please correct me if I am wrong) from last Sunday, Princeton Township, NJ on size 26 fly.

Posted Image

#48 Guest_CMStewart_*

Guest_CMStewart_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:08 PM

Common shiner my friend caught on size 14 fly.

Posted Image

#49 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2014 - 01:31 PM

Nice photos Chris!

#50 Guest_Stickbow_*

Guest_Stickbow_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:19 PM

Stickbow, I have two suggestions for you. One is to tie a bunch of small flies onto perhaps 8" of tippet, at home with magnifying lens and good light. Tie surgeons loops in the tippet ends so you can loop to loop them onto your line (I believe surgeon's loops are stronger than perfection loops). Another possibility is to get a C&F threader and put a half dozen or so flies on it. You can then transfer them to your tippet as needed during the day.

I actually use an 18" tippet --okay 1 or 1/2# mono-- so I can use it without other line for "dabbling" with my tinier hooks. Still have to bait them, and don't have a magnifier and wife to hold it (or magic tying machine) to do that in the field.

I need one of those wicked cool round gooseneck combo magnifier/lamps for at home, and need to get a pair of the flip up/down magnifier clip ons. I am a geek, and willing to admit it.

#51 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:20 PM

. Tie surgeons loops in the tippet ends so you can loop to loop them onto your line (I believe surgeon's loops are stronger than perfection loops).

Wouldn't whatever is easier to tie be best? You are not exactly taking your gear to the ends of it's limits. Just a thought, a 2-6 inch fish is not going to tax your gear too much, right?

That common shiner is very nice. So is the Cyprinella,

#52 Guest_Stickbow_*

Guest_Stickbow_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:53 PM

Matt, I'd rather lose my hook/line/sinker because the line breaks than because my knot failed, and Chris is right if the intertubes opinion on knot strength are correct. Personally, I prefer a surgeon's loop because it is easier for me to tie than a perfection loop because I have the doubled line to work with instead of single strand.

Fewer steps on Animated Knots.com too!

http://www.animatedk...m/surgeonsloop/
http://www.animatedk...com/perfection/

#53 Guest_CMStewart_*

Guest_CMStewart_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:17 PM

It's true that most micros won't tax the limits of your gear, but I did have a redbreast sunfish of about 4" break the snell on a snelled tanago hook. I was dapping with two slapped black flies for bait and he hit it so hard it broke the snell in an instant. No photo of that one!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users