Saline Creek - Missouri

16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_rndouglas_*

Guest_rndouglas_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:12 PM

A friend and I set out for Saline Creek, Missouri this morning, arriving around 8am. We wanted to give microfishing and seining a shot to collect some fish for two native aquariums I have up and running.

Our main targets were: Mottled or Banded Sculpin (we knew sculpins were there, just not which species) and Missouri Saddled Darter (we had no idea if they were in this stream or not....and we did not find any today).

We started out microfishing, and within seconds we were both catching all the Bleeding Shiners we wanted (on size 22 hooks tipped with worm for me, size 20 tipped with pink trout bait for him). Aside from an Ozark Minnow later in the morning, Bleeding Shiners were the only fish we successfully caught on hooks today.

I had to be home by 12:30pm, so we spent the bulk of our time seining.

Minnows were easy to come by, as were Orangethroat and Rainbow Darters. We managed a single Mottled Sculpin. Slender Madtoms were everywhere. I ended up being able to bring home some nice fish, and left the bulk of them in the creek!

Here's a list of the species we seined in no particular order (from memory....I may be missing some, and others we didn't take the time to ID as our turnaround time approached):
  • Bleeding Shiner
  • Orangethroat Darter
  • Rainbow Darter
  • Ozark Minnow
  • Mottled Sculpin
  • Slender Madtom
  • Northern Studfish
  • Plains Topminnow
  • Fantail Darter
  • Largescale Stoneroller (maybe, not sure. See photo below)
  • Southern Redbelly Dace (only one individual all morning!)
Here's a photo of the sculpin in his/her species tank at home:
Posted Image

The first microfishing catch of the day was this Bleeding Shiner:
Posted Image

We were both pretty excited when we found our first Golden Crayfish, but the novelty soon wore off. Every seine net had multiple crayfish.
Posted Image

A pair of Rainbow Darters:
Posted Image

A nice male Rainbow Darter from a deeper part of the same riffle as above:
Posted Image

Neither one of us saw this Northern Studfish until we lifted our net, so we were both pretty excited when we saw him flopping around. Later, we tried to microfish this species with no luck.
Posted Image

We knew Fantail Darters were a possibility, but I didn't really expect to find one. I think we ended up with ~10 seined by the end of the day. Far outnumbered by Rainbow and Orangethroat.
Posted Image

I had never managed to see a madtom (of any species) until today. I was beside myself when we seined our first (about 1 1/2" long), and by the end of the day we'd seined close to 20 individuals. They all appeared to be Slender Madtoms.
Posted Image

A typical haul from a 10 ft. section of riffle:
Posted Image

This is one of the guys we pulled on our third-to-last seine. We had four or five in the seine. My best guess is Largescale Stoneroller, but I'm wide open for other suggestions if anyone has any. This is the only photo I took before she flopped into the stream.

Posted Image

#2 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:56 PM

Excellent. Inspiring photos.

#3 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:03 PM

Very nice! Those are some beautiful rainbows, and that studfish is gorgeous! Cool looking crayfish, and I always love to see more bleeding shiners. That last photo does appear to be a Campostoma. Thanks very much for sharing!

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:28 PM

Last photo is campostoma. Central, or largescale? Look at your maps.

#5 Guest_rndouglas_*

Guest_rndouglas_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:54 PM

Thanks for the help! I think I'll have to be happy with Campostoma sp. this time around. Pflieger's Fishes of Missouri shows that both stonerollers inhabit this drainage.

#6 Guest_Fenway_*

Guest_Fenway_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:51 PM

I bought some size 22 hook in order to try microfishing. What size line do you use? I don't think any of the line I have is small enough. Thanks.

#7 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:52 PM

Looks like you had a blast! Nice photos of some really nice fish. And that crayfish is like none other I've seen before. Thanks for posting!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#8 Guest_rndouglas_*

Guest_rndouglas_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:10 PM

I use a few feet 7x or 8x tippet tied to the end of a 13' crappie rod.

The Golden Crayfish is a fairly common crayfish in the Ozarks here in Missouri....and rather variable, too. We kept looking for other species, but came up empty.

#9 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:20 AM

Nice photos! You caught some great-looking fish. Love the colors on that studfish!

#10 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:03 AM

I'll have to check this out at home the images are being blocked at work.

#11 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:18 PM

Very nice pictures! Of course the crayfish are my favorite.

#12 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:32 PM

Looks like a seine full of O-throats, any close up photos of those?

#13 Guest_rndouglas_*

Guest_rndouglas_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:00 PM

Overall, the seines were probably equal parts Orangethroats and Rainbows. Every now and then we'd pick up a few Fantails, too.

Here are a few shots of some of the fish after they made their way into my aquariums:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:52 AM

Your spectabile look a bit different than mine. Missouri seems like a natural for another spectabile split. Wonder if anyone is working on that?

#15 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:48 PM

Your spectabile look a bit different than mine. Missouri seems like a natural for another spectabile split. Wonder if anyone is working on that?

Look different than all the ones in KY too.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

#16 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:11 PM

Kentucky is exactly why I mentioned that. We all know the Missouri/Kentucky relationship.

#17 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:10 AM

Kentucky is exactly why I mentioned that. We all know the Missouri/Kentucky relationship.

Yeah, we only have like 10 different named species of spectabile here.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users