Sunfish, South Florida by the Everglades

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ZiegenSauger_*

Guest_ZiegenSauger_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:08 PM

Colleagues, I got this one yesterday night. Tried my best to accommodate the fella in the observation bowl to try a decent picture. I am intrigued since it is apparently a juvenile (about 2.5 inches). I am not sure which species. I have good variety of Sunfish here by the Everglade canals, this one does not seem to be one of the commonly observed.Attached File  DSC03457.JPG   62.17KB   2 downloads My take is for Lepomis auritus (Redbreast Sunfish)?

#2 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:42 PM

Could it be Centrarchus? Shouldn't be that far south, but we are talking Florida.

#3 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:45 PM

I'd say bluegill, believe it or not. Those FL ones can have a surprising amount of red. Not enough anal fin spines for a flier.

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:51 PM

I would agree. Head shape, and crazy dark spot popped flier into my mind, but bluegill seems more correct.

#5 Guest_Orangespotted_*

Guest_Orangespotted_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:01 PM

I wonder if it is one of those particularly flashy subspecies? If I were you I'd do a little flyfishing in that water and see what the adults look like. Or even better, grow one out in an aquarium!

#6 Guest_ZiegenSauger_*

Guest_ZiegenSauger_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:51 PM

So, is it correct to assume a Bluegill color diversity here in South Florida? Example, a "regular" Bluegill and a Coppernose Bluegill I got during the same game yesterday night. One Twin holding each. Most certainly the same genera, would not bet the same species. Attached File  DSC03442.JPG   91.71KB   1 downloadsAttached File  DSC03445.JPG   89.98KB   1 downloads

#7 Guest_mzokan_*

Guest_mzokan_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:42 PM

Yup, all of those pics are of Florida bluegill

#8 Guest_ZiegenSauger_*

Guest_ZiegenSauger_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:50 PM

Really nice! I will start another post with my observations of Mosquitofish population differences too. Super interesting diversity of color, specific to the region (east or west of the Glades for example).

#9 Guest_John4ds_*

Guest_John4ds_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:08 AM

I vote blue gill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users