Photo

Spotted, Redeye, Hybrid?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:14 PM

Was dipnetting the headwater-ish area of a stream slightly outside downtown Greenwood, SC. It was a section of very shallow riffles, each of which emptied neatly into a quiet, shallow to medium depth pool. The riffle - pool pattern repeated, with an occasional chute undercutting a bank. Bottom was gravel, although rains had exposed clay banks which were slightly coloring the water. Cover consisted of rocks, mostly cobble size, but some larger; sticks and branches, and some concrete supporting a sanitary sewer pipe.

This juvenile bass was the result of a halfhearted swipe in the first pool pictured. It was hanging out beneath the pipe. For the life of me I can't settle on what it might be, nothing seems just right. This has me leaning toward a Micropterus coosae x M. punctulatus hybrid. What say you?

The habitat:
Attached File  P6190931.JPG   247.92KB   0 downloads

Attached File  P6190932.JPG   204.12KB   0 downloads

The bass:
These are all pictures of the same fish.
Attached File  P6190964.JPG   37.99KB   1 downloadsAttached File  P6190965.JPG   37.46KB   2 downloadsAttached File  P6190967.JPG   39.15KB   1 downloadsAttached File  P6190968.JPG   39.78KB   1 downloadsAttached File  P6190969.JPG   39.09KB   1 downloads

And the obligatory juvenile sunfish. Taken downstream from a bank-undercutting chute. Lepomis auritus?
Attached File  P6190955.JPG   58.47KB   1 downloads

Thanks for looking!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#2 Guest_sbtgrfan_*

Guest_sbtgrfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:43 PM

I would say Largemouth for the bass. Looks to me that there is a distinct semi-separation of the dorsal as seen in largemouth versus the spotted with a well connected dorsal. Doubtful redeye.

Dustin might kill me if I get this wrong, but I think I agree with the redbreast ID.

#3 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:58 PM

I wouldn't doubt it to be a largemouth. I just can't recall ever seeing a little one that didn't strike me as looking a lot like an adult. There's a good chance that biased me.

I won't tell Dustin if it turns out not to be a redbreast...
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#4 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:19 PM

Definitely a redbreast. No idea on the bass. Good job Stephen.

#5 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:09 PM

I agree with Stephen on the largemouth ID

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users