Found Fry on Fathers Day - C. leedsi

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:33 PM

I collected a few C. leedsi a couple of years ago on a South Georgia Outing http://forum.nanfa.o...ge__hl__ohoopee I put some in a tank in the basement and some in a stock tank in the back yard with a water lily.

After the first year, some of the fish in the indoor tank colored up and began to display to each other http://forum.nanfa.o...age__hl__leedsi

Well last weekend on fathers day I noticed some small slivers in the outdoor tank. Today I was able to capture a few out of the stock tank and get these photos. My first Cyprinella fry!
Attached File  DSCN3228.JPG   62.37KB   4 downloads
Attached File  DSCN3229.JPG   58.03KB   4 downloads
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#2 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:26 PM

Very nice! They look to be decent size already. If they are anything like satinfins, they are pretty bulletproof once they are older than two weeks or so.

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:53 PM

Yes, I am sure they have developed for a while... I mean it is a 100 gallon, black rubber-made stock tank... so they must have survived their early days in the algae and lily roots... I only noticed them once they came up to the surface to fight for flake food. There are adults in there (obviously) and some coastal shiners too... but there are easily 50 or 60 young that I can see.

For those of you that were at the convention, I care for these like BZ says he cares for his big ponds... kinda not at all... the plants and the bugs must be doing the work... only now that I see the young I am adding earthworm flakes occasionally.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:20 PM

Congrats, "Dad"! It's always fun to get a surprise like that, especially when it's a fish you're as fond of as you seem to be of your leedsi.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#5 Guest_Ken_*

Guest_Ken_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:32 PM

Nice! :biggrin:

#6 Guest_tricolor_*

Guest_tricolor_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:05 PM

congrats :biggrin:

#7 Guest_alejandro_*

Guest_alejandro_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:40 PM

Very exciting!

-Alejandro

#8 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:57 PM

GoPro video from this weekend of the same fish from above. This is them in their outdoor pond (stock tank) in the backyard... life among the lily-stems...

#9 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:41 PM

They grow up so fast... sniff, sniff...

Cool stuff, Michael!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#10 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:43 PM

I see you use the same thing to prop up your plant containers as I do - milk crates. Makes a nice refuge too...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users