Shiner ID help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_MuskieBait_*

Guest_MuskieBait_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:11 PM

Hi NANFA!

I've recently fished at Mason Creek near Katy, TX. I caught a shiner species that I can't confidently call on the ID. Some shiners are very confusing to me.

Unfortunately, I left my micro tank at home so I only have a picture of the fish in hand...with all the fins collapsed. ](*,)

There appears to be a clear line above the black stripe on the side, and looking at the shape of the head and body, I want to say it is a Texas Shiner, but the black pigment at the base of the anal fin is not consistent with all the pictures of the Texas Shiner I've seen thus far.

I would appreciate any help possible. Thanks! :D

Attached File  IMG_9767.jpg   128.09KB   4 downloads

Edited by MuskieBait, 07 July 2013 - 03:11 PM.

#2 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:33 PM

I dont know the TX minnows, but that looks pretty similar to a juvenile satinfin shiner in NC, so maybe it's one of the Cyprinella species, like red shiner or blacktail shiner?

#3 Guest_MuskieBait_*

Guest_MuskieBait_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:48 AM

Mimic Shiner?

I've been coming through this list and that's the closest I can find.

http://txstate.fishesoftexas.org/

I've looked at Red Shiner and Blacktail Shiner and both are not consistent with this mystery shiner.

Edited by MuskieBait, 08 July 2013 - 07:51 AM.

#4 Guest_yodeman_*

Guest_yodeman_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:51 PM

Have a look at the Texas Shiner - Notropis amabilis The white belly is a match, so is the very light black blotch on the caudal peduncle that extends lightly into the caudal.

Ron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users