Good cameras?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Reptilekeeper99_*

Guest_Reptilekeeper99_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:41 PM

Hi everyone. I'm looking for a good quality, waterproof camera to take pictures and videos mainly of darters, dace, and other native river fish. Any suggestions as to what I should get? I've been thinking maybe a Panasonic Lumix TS4. Is this a good option? If not what would you suggest? My budget is about $300 but I can go over if the camera is worth it. Any help would be great!

#2 Guest_AMcCaleb_*

Guest_AMcCaleb_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:16 PM

check out the gopro cameras

#3 Guest_sbtgrfan_*

Guest_sbtgrfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:28 PM

Gopro is good for video, but for pictures I'd go a different route. I can't name specifics as I stick to video with my gopro.

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:30 PM

Check out this section of the forum, there are several good threads talking about cameras

http://forum.nanfa.o...phy-discussion/

Also I know that Casper is pretty happy with his Pentax waterproof point and shoot so far, and I like my nikon waterproof point and shoot as well.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 Guest_Reptilekeeper99_*

Guest_Reptilekeeper99_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:06 AM

Thanks for the help everyone! I don't think the gopro would work very good for me as I will mainly be focusing on photos

#6 Guest_Draros_*

Guest_Draros_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:11 PM

I personally have a Cannon Powershot D10. The camera takes good photos, but far more importantly it's extraordinarily durable. I've had the camera around four years. It has been through the dropped on rocks in the rocky mountains, snorkeling in the ocean in Belize, local snorkeling, Nicaragua trudging through rainforests, and many other adventures. The only problem I've had is the non-battery port leaked, but I put some silicon in it and it solved the problem.

#7 Guest_Reptilekeeper99_*

Guest_Reptilekeeper99_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

Wow, sounds like a pretty durable camera

#8 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:30 PM

I would avoid the Olympus line but that's a personal preference,I had one of the earlier models and the picture quality in and out of the water did not impress me.

#9 Guest_factnfiction101_*

Guest_factnfiction101_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:59 AM

I just bought a SVP AQUA WP6800 ($50 or so from Amazon) with a 32gb micro sdhc card to go with it. I bought a $15 waterproof case to be on the safe side. Not too crazy about spending a lot of money on a ruined camera.

I read a lot of reviews about higher end cameras that turned me away from investing a lot. A 16 mega pixel camera that takes great pics is good enough for me. I'll let you guys know how it works today or tomorrow.

#10 Guest_factnfiction101_*

Guest_factnfiction101_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:45 AM

I don't see how to edit my post so I'll make another post.

The camera works very well. When taking video it isn't a battery hog. I was able to take over 20 mins of video with the same batteries. I should say I bought my camera mostly for taking underwater video.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users