River snorkeling in the Pacific Northwest

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_rootsman_*

Guest_rootsman_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:25 AM

Thanks to the inspiration provided the pictures and videos posted on this site, I have been snorkeling PNW lakes and rivers over the last couple of years. In an effort to find other "enthusiasts" willing to participate in this somewhat esoteric hobby, I did some research and came across these videos from rivers in the Cascade Mountains of Washington.

http://www.youtube.c...riversnorkeling

We don't get the same diversity of species out here, but we do get some pretty exciting water. Be sure to check out Ice Dreams and Waiting for the Rain, very nice work.

#2 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:40 PM

Cool stuff! I would think PNW riverscapes would change fairly frequently with the winter drenchings. I lived for a very short while in Corvallis, OR. I can remember a late summer day, looking at the channeling that's been done to the Willamette, and saying to my friend, "I can't even imagine enough water to raise levels as high as this." The next year it flooded. That much water has to rearrange things. I can also remember playing in Wild Horse Lake on Steens Mtn. Even in July the water was so cold you were numb in less than 20 seconds! I wonder what it looks like under there...
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users