Photo

Back in Business! I mean, id help please...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:56 PM

Yeah, we're rolling again! Thanks to the techies for working so hard on this stuff. I could never make any of it happen. Funny how spoilt we get. I didn't realize how much I enjoyed and took for granted the forum until I couldn't use parts of it!

But onward. Some days ago I made a quick trip to the town park in Ware Shoals, SC. This is a reasonably elevated section of the Piedmont, and the Saluda River runs over a long stretch of shoals here. It makes for fun swimming and fish-based activities. However, the water was pretty darn high from all the rains we've had, but not flooding. All the same I figured discretion was the better part of valor and stuck to the shorelines. Wielded the dipnet with enthusiasm along the banks and in a slack water area between a small island and shore. Hit pay dirt a couple of times. A small drainage ditch had receded enough to trap several small fish in a pool. Turned out to be Creek chubs. (Did them the favor of repatriating them to the river.)

What I need help with are the following animals. The first characters I think I have nailed down as Redeye bass, Micropterus coosae. Fritz says in his book it has been introduced into the Saluda, but Peterson's says it's apparently extinct in the Saluda. Given the gap between dorsal fins, coloration of dorsals and caudals, and pattern, I think I'm ok with my Redeye id. If behaviors are any indicators, these were the most fiesty, least cooperative fish I've ever had in net or photo tank. Attached File  P7240381.JPG   43.15KB   4 downloadsAttached File  P7240382.JPG   39.09KB   2 downloadsAttached File  P7240406.JPG   81.65KB   1 downloadsAttached File  P7240412.JPG   75.35KB   1 downloads
Any confirmations or rebuttals?

Next is this darter. I can't make heads or tails of it. It is very narrow bodied compared to my Christmases and Carolinas. It has a long snout, and appears more comfortable off the bottom than any other darters I have. (Although from certain angles the snout looks very blunt, like E. olmstedi.) A Percina, perhaps? At feeding time, especially, it seems content to cruise the mid water levels looking for food. Its dorsum is not saddled; it's reticulated. When its feeling especially good, the black marks are very dark, forming blocks that extend almost to the belly while the upper tan marks are very bright. It almost looks like tire tracks. The lateral line is straight, and complete; I think. When I first had it in the photo tank, it looked all the world like a skinny tessellated. It wasn't until a day or two in the aquarium that he settled down and showed the colors, snout length, and behaviors I describe.

Attached File  P7240389.JPG   47.73KB   2 downloadsAttached File  P7240396.JPG   48.52KB   0 downloads

Lastly is this neat little cray. Have no idea on it, either. Most crayfish I come across here look like little lobsters; this one looks more narrow, like a little shrimp.

Attached File  P7240387.JPG   57.01KB   0 downloadsAttached File  P7240407.JPG   87.05KB   0 downloads

Thanks for the looks and insight.

And thanks to the powers that be for keeping us up to snuff in the tech dept!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#2 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:34 PM

I am useless on bass and crays but the darter appears to be Percina crassa.

#3 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:47 PM

Cray looks like a Cambarellus species, not sure which one.

#4 Guest_sbtgrfan_*

Guest_sbtgrfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:15 PM

I concur with your Redeye ID. This trip report has a similar fish listed with a picture that looks very similar to yours. http://www.nanfa.org...0602/sc0602.htm

It's definitely not a Largemouth and doesn't resemble any spotted I've seen. The barring on it's sides also resembles redeyes.

#5 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:01 AM

Thanks for the input, guys.

Dustin, what should I be looking for in the darter pics to id this guy as P. crassa? Anything other than the characteristics I mentioned? I'm curious, because based on the pointed face, straight lateral line, dark blocks, and collection location, Piedmont darter was the only darter I couldn't rule out. But I just couldn't make it look like one to me. Those two dark stripes on the first dorsal threw me, too. Maybe my tessellated first impression was too strong for me to see it for what it is. Would like to be a little more competent out on site...
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#6 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:38 AM

EASY -- The head shape and large eye scream "Percina", and P. crassa is the only Percina in the Santee basin (assuming P. nigrofasciata hasn't gotten in there yet). That one looks paler than most that I've seen (in Cape Fear, Yadkin and Catawba), which could be due to habitat (light sand substrate) or he might have lightened after you caught him.

#7 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:40 AM

Based on the markings, it either had to be blackbanded or piedmont. Blackbanded have made it up to Lake Greenwood in the Saluda so it is a possibility. The markings are more squarish though and the markings on a blackbanded are much more elongate with tapered ends.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users