shiner id

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_thegreensunfish_*

Guest_thegreensunfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:21 PM

I caught it in Western NY. I can't id it and need help.

Posted Image

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:40 AM

wew cant see the anal fin or the tail, but the overall shape and the lateral line match for golden shiner.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:20 AM

wew cant see the anal fin or the tail, but the overall shape and the lateral line match for golden shiner.

That's a goofy-looking golden shiner then!

#4 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:09 AM

I'd guess common shiner or striped shiner. Scales are too big and head/mouth shape isn't right for golden shiner.

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:12 AM

I knew that I should not be guessing on ANY identification thread... I suck at this game...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#6 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:42 AM

well, it IS gold and shiny - anybody could have made that mistake. |:>)

I knew that I should not be guessing on ANY identification thread... I suck at this game...

#7 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:47 AM

well, it IS gold and shiny - anybody could have made that mistake. |:>)

I think that maybe makes me feel worse,not better...

#8 Guest_thegreensunfish_*

Guest_thegreensunfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:52 PM

Sorry for the lack of any good pictures but I didn't have my photo tank with me and it is very hard to get the fins without it. I do have these:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:56 PM

You're probably out of range for Fallfish in western NY, depending on how far west you are, so likely candidates are Luxilus cornutus and Luxilus chrysocephalus. Chances are you're only in range for one of those, so if you can give a precise collection location (GPS coordinates or nearby town) we can probably nail it. You can use Google maps to find the site, then put your pointer on the spot and either right click or Control/Click in Apple to bring up the map menu and select "What's Here". That will give you map coordinates for the site if your pointer is on it on the Google map. Copy and paste them here if you like. Some folks don't like to share exact collecting locales for various reasons. If it's not a very rare species, you should be OK. Looks like a common species to me.

So yeah, I agree with Gerald.

#10 Guest_thegreensunfish_*

Guest_thegreensunfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:12 PM

I caught it in 18 mile creek off of Ide Rd in Newfane, NY. Here are the Google Maps coordinates:

43.286779, -78.715869‎
+43° 17' 12.40", -78° 42' 57.13"

#11 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:37 PM

Is there any chance it is a Hybog?

#12 Guest_thegreensunfish_*

Guest_thegreensunfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:42 PM

Is there any chance it is a Hybog?

Do you mean Hybrid? I've never heard of a Hybog.

#13 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:00 PM

Sorry, a Hybognathus sp. Not sure which would be up that way but the photo resembles one. I can also see Luxilus so I am by no means questioning the answers that have already been given.

#14 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:01 PM

Hybognathus genus. Interesting thought.

#15 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:24 PM

It doesn't look like any eastern silvery minnow I've seen. That large mouth and large scales scream Luxilus to me...

#16 Guest_thegreensunfish_*

Guest_thegreensunfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:36 PM

It does look a lot like an Eastern Silvery Minnow or Striped/Common Shiner. How do I tell the difference for future reference?

#17 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:01 PM

I am not very familiar with the Hybognathus genus, so I cannot really steer you in the right direction. But, this fish does not seem to have quite the crowded scalation on the nape of the neck that I am used to seeing in Luxilus. Somebody will come up with a good answer for you, I am sure.

#18 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:02 PM

According to the Inland Fishes of New York by CL Smith, there are two species of Hybognathus in New York, neither of which would be expected that far west. Both the Striped Shiner and the Common Shiner should be expected in that area NE of Buffalo. The Fallfish isn't that far west either. I've got a Hybognathus regius in a tank right here. Based on a quick look at that I'd say that the Hybognathus has a much smaller, more inferior mouth than those two Luxilus, and different head proportions. The eye on the Luxilus being much higher on the head, versus more centered vertically on the Hybognathus. In Ohio, those two Luxilus can be separated by looking at their dorsal surfaces. The Striped Shiner has lines on the back that converge toward the tail. The Common Shiner has fewer lines that do not converge and remain evenly parallel to each other.

#19 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:35 PM

Mark is right, Luxilus it is. I've seen too many of them this past winter...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users