ID for the local Salties

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_clemsons2k_*

Guest_clemsons2k_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:24 PM

I just got back from a beach trip at Tybee Island, GA recently and I captured a picture of a small saltwater fish that traveled in huge schools in the shallow waters along the beach. I can't seem to find any information anywhere about them. May be a long shot but I figure somebody may know on here.

Posted Image

#2 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:36 PM

Striped killifish, Fundulus majalis

#3 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:43 PM

I agree with dustin. They get to be quite large and impressive. They seem to be a little more delicate than the more marsh oriented killies in my experience. I've tried to bring these guys home and keep them in my saltwater tank a few times and they seemed difficult to transport or keep from safe from fin rot.

#4 Guest_clemsons2k_*

Guest_clemsons2k_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:25 PM

Thanks guys!

I never would have thought it was a killifish species. Looks like they get pretty big too. Surprising since the thousands of them I saw in the tidal pools at the beach were an inch and a half or smaller.

If I had a saltwater tank set up I probably would have scooped up some of them and brought them home with me haha.

Edited by clemsons2k, 07 August 2013 - 07:26 PM.

#5 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:17 AM

The stripeds are difficult to keep in aquaria, they need room to move and clean water since they're truly marine. Mummichogs, Fundulus heteroclitus, are a lot more forgiving.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users