Guest_ZachT_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:33 PM

Posted Image

#2 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:39 PM

That is neat! I hate them, but I rarely seine up a juvenile.

#3 Guest_ZachT_*

Guest_ZachT_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:03 PM

Thanks for the confirmation. Here are some more I forgot about I need help ID'ing.

Posted Image

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:25 PM

Please take a second and read the rules at the top of the ID page. Giving us the location where the fish were caught, can greatly help with an accurate ID. Were the second fish caught earlier in the year? It is odd that this species would still be so colored up this time of year. Pay close attention to where the coloration occurs on these fish, and that may give you a pretty good idea of the common name.

#5 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:07 AM

That looks more like a goldfish to me, but it could be the angle. Difficult to be sure.

#6 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:30 AM

Ha! I kind of wondered that myself. As I said I rarely encounter juvenile carp, not sure why? I am in the right places. I look forward to a couple more people chiming in on this. The mouth seems a bit off for a carp doesn't it.

#7 Guest_MichiJim_*

Guest_MichiJim_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:08 AM

I support the goldfish ID. A better look at the dorsal fin would help. The mouth and general head shape looks more like a goldfish.

In my experience, juvenile carp like to hang out in thick marshes are are rarely caught unless you are really dedicated to rooting them out.

#8 Guest_ThomasDodson_*

Guest_ThomasDodson_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:28 AM

I can't tell from the picture but if it is a common carp it should have barbels.

#9 Guest_ZachT_*

Guest_ZachT_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:37 PM

Please take a second and read the rules at the top of the ID page. Giving us the location where the fish were caught, can greatly help with an accurate ID. Were the second fish caught earlier in the year? It is odd that this species would still be so colored up this time of year. Pay close attention to where the coloration occurs on these fish, and that may give you a pretty good idea of the common name.

Sorry, yes they were found in June in a tributary of Sugar Creek in West-Central Indiana.

I considered goldfish but tossed it out because of the head shape (the indentation seemed off for a goldfish to me, but I guess they are variable enough) and the weird lateral line placement. It was found in a creek in a city park in Southern Indiana so a released goldfish is definitely a possibility. Unfortunately i don't have a photo of the dorsal fin.

#10 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:10 PM

Any other time of the year this shiner could be tough to ID, but since it is in breeding coloration, you can probably get this one on your own. If you don't have a Peterson's field guide, this may help you. http://www.dnr.state...13/Default.aspx

#11 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:10 PM

Goldfish and carp hybridize.

#12 Guest_Oonland_*

Guest_Oonland_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:33 PM

I've tried to keep carp once or twice, but after about a month they died. Maybe it was because of my old methods for fish keeping (but even in pet store they don't do well).

#13 Guest_dmarkley_*

Guest_dmarkley_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:22 PM

I've caught lot's of juvenile carp in the weeds along the banks of the Susquehanna River. Two things I've noticed about them. They are very slimy and they smell bad.

#14 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:12 AM

That looks more like a goldfish to me, but it could be the angle. Difficult to be sure.

Goldfish for sure.

Hybrid goldfish usually still have a small barbel:
http://gallery.nanfa...11_ NT.jpg.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users