New to Tallahassee

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Jansen_*

Guest_Jansen_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:46 AM

Hi everyone,
I've recently moved to tallahassee from the columbus, ga area and I have no idea where to begin here. Driving around I have seen a thousand streams meandering everywhere and plan on investigating what might be there. I am also traveling to one of the oxbow lakes located on the national forest to start a research project detailing fish species there, but other than that I am lost! I would love to find of any prime spots where I could find native species, and since I am new here I have very little knowledge on what exactly I can find. I have a found spot for darters and would love to find some around here so if anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated!

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:35 AM

Hey Jansen... so sounds like you are a prime NANFA member... head over to the main web page http://www.nanfa.org/

Then contact your Florida Regional Rep http://www.nanfa.org/regional.shtml

He knows all about that stuff and publishes (a little sporadically) the Florida Collecting Guide http://www.aka.org/s.../pages/fcg.html
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:44 AM

Good advice from Michael, Jansen...
You should get the Florida collecting guide pronto.
After joining NANFA you should consider attending the Tates Hell / FSU Marine Lab this October.
Details are on the forum under the heading "SOUTH".
We will be seining, snorkeling, dipnetting, wading, photographing, trawling and eating all the various fresh and salt water species we encounter.
Excellent opportunity to see what we experience. This is my 5th trip leading NANFA members there. You have to be a member though.

#4 Guest_Jansen_*

Guest_Jansen_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:55 AM

I am actually planning on becoming a member very soon, but I won't be able to do the trip this year sadly. By the way, on the link to the collecting guide, do I need to contact one of them to purchase it or am I simply not understanding the web page?

#5 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:42 AM

I spoke with Charlie N the other day and they are working on their 4th edition which will NOT become available until after Jan. 1
So you will have to wait a bit before you can buy one. It is a great resource, very well done. Most NANFA fish folks that venture into the Florida region have one. My copy is either a 1st or 2nd edition and i will be upgrading.
All kinds of good areas around Talli. Lost Lakes, Dog Lakes, Waisessa Springs. Get a FL Gazateer and start studying it.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users