Embarras River and Salt Fork Creek, IL

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:10 PM

I'll write up a proper post on my blog, but in the meantime I thought I'd share some photos from yesterday. I scouted out a couple spots on the Embarras River and one spot on the Salt Fork Creek in eastern Illinois.

At the first Embarras River spot I left my net in the car so that I could focus on microfishing. I've found that my patience with hook & line fishing decreases substantially when I have a net sitting nearby. The Embarras here is mostly sandy flats and pools with submerged wood, but after a hike I was able to find one nice rocky riffle. Within minutes of finding the spot I found a madtom willing to bite. I was pleasantly surprised to find it was a mountain madtom!

Mountain Madtom in photo tank

Posted Image

Same fish in hand

Posted Image

Same fish chilling on a rock

Posted Image

So far I've avoided using photo tank pictures for my hook & line lifelist. I'm not exactly sure why I prefer a "fish in hand" or "fish on the ground" picture, but I do. Photo tank pictures are great for IDing fish, but for whatever reason I don't want them in my lifelist album.

The riffle was also full of slenderhead darters, but they weren't willing to play. They spooked very easily, and unlike other darter species that will move a couple feet away from you, the slenderheads would continue bolting until they were out of sight. Maybe in the spring they'll be braver and stick around. On the hike back I found some eastern sand darters on a shallow flat. They were really cool, but again were completely unwilling to play. I'll be back in the spring looking for them too.

The Embarras was full of monster mussels. There were a couple different species. Someday I'll have to learn what they are.

Posted Image

I encountered quite a few fish at a headwater spot much further upstream. The only one I photographed was this young redfin shiner.

Posted Image

At the Salt Fork I didn't feel like messing with the rod & reel, so I netted a few fish to see if I could find anything new. I found quite a few brindled madtoms, which will be a future microfishing target. It would be fun to come back to this spot at night with a headlamp and see if they are cruising around.

Brindled Madtom(s)

Posted Image

Posted Image

I also netted this dusky darter, which is the first I've encountered. Another springtime target for microfishing!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:15 PM

Too late for me to edit, but it looks like my redfin shiner ID is wrong. I'm guessing carmine shiner now... but once you get an ID wrong, you lose all confidence so who knows. :)

#3 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:24 PM

It does look more like Notropis, than Lythrurus. Beyond that I can't say much else.

#4 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:08 PM

Are you sure giant clams haven't become invasive in the Embarras? Criminy, I didn't know freshwater mollusks got so big! That brindled is a nice, fat 'n' sassy lookin' fish. Would like to see one, myself, someday.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#5 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:27 PM

That brindled is a nice, fat 'n' sassy lookin' fish. Would like to see one, myself, someday.

Yeah those brindleds are beefy. The first one I caught was almost too big for my photo tank.

Posted Image

#6 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:24 PM

Aye, Moby Brindled, he be. Glad to see healthy fish. Or at least well-fed ones...
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#7 Guest_AMcCaleb_*

Guest_AMcCaleb_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:40 PM

Looks like a productive day.

#8 Guest_ttravisbrown_*

Guest_ttravisbrown_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:11 PM

Very nice! The mussel looks like a pink heelsplitter (Potamilus alatus).

#9 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:02 AM

Madtom in hand. That could have unintended consequences :-) I handle them all the time myself, but I've been lucky so far.

#10 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:45 AM

Nothing could be worse than all the leatherjacks I handled in Florida. My hands were puffy by the end of the day, haha.

I've had a few madtom pokes, but they're usually not too bad. I'm a slow learner, so I'll probably continue handling them and continue getting poked.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users