Unknown Fish

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:44 PM

While working I started talking about fishing with a client and mentioned NANFA. He had a fish that he was hoping I could ID for him. I thought he had a photo, but he had the actual fish, frozen. I wasn't really sure what it was, the teeth threw me. It was supposed to be caught in the Kentucky River. I kinda thought it looked like an alewife with teeth, but I really don't know.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:56 PM

Hiodon. Which one, I don't know.

#3 Guest_ThomasDodson_*

Guest_ThomasDodson_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:02 PM

What is the position of the dorsal fin as compared to the anal fin? Goldeye have the dorsal fin front slightly posterior to the front of the anal fin. Mooneye have the dorsal fin front anterior to the front of the anal fin.

#4 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:15 PM

What is the position of the dorsal fin as compared to the anal fin? Goldeye have the dorsal fin front slightly posterior to the front of the anal fin. Mooneye have the dorsal fin front anterior to the front of the anal fin.

What you see is what I have. I didn't realize that their teeth can get so big. I don't think I've seen a large Mooneye/Goldeye before.

#5 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:20 PM

Looking at the keel, I bet goldeye, but mooneye are much more widely distributed in KY, and looking at Peterson's it doesn't show goldeye in the Ky. drainage. So who the heck knows?

#6 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:24 PM

For some reason I'm hungry for a smoked goldeye...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users