Was the change in range or knowledge

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:08 AM

I was browsing the online Fishes of the Gulf of Maine and noticed a few oddities.

Black sea bass north of the cape were called very very rare in fishes of the gulf of Maine with only a few known strays as occurances. But from what I read on the fish and game page they are uncommon in NH but a few get caught here each year in the Piscataqua.

So did the amount of info we have on the species change (discovering more locations that have them) or did the fish change their range shifting it more northward. (I heard fish in Europe have been shifting ranges north due to climate change but I have not seen similar reports from North America)

#2 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:35 AM

Good question. Could be one, the other, or both, I guess. Drawing on our birding interests, some birds have irruptions, though generally to the south in our hemisphere. Other passerines, namely goldfinches, in my locale have stayed all summer which I don't recall seeing before. Sibley's range map has me living right on the edge of year-round and summer residence for them. If birds, who are usually much easier to follow, by song or sight, than fish can be so contrary, I imagine coincidences in fish location and who found them, where, and when could be pretty dicey for some species.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#3 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:52 AM

An update on this. The new NH saltwater fishing news is out, and now Black Sea Bass have size and catch limits. Does this mean we officially gained a fish?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users