Need i.d. help for these stream fish

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ekise38_*

Guest_ekise38_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:45 PM

hello folks, I need some i.d. help. these stream fish were collected, photographed and released back into Alum Creek (Central Ohio). Attached File  4a..JPG   69.22KB   6 downloadsAttached File  5a..JPG   42.75KB   4 downloadsAttached File  8a..JPG   50.19KB   1 downloadsAttached File  9..JPG   53KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Greeside or Banded-1.JPG   49.25KB   1 downloadsAttached File  type of shiner.JPG   59.22KB   0 downloadsAttached File  type of minnow.JPG   49.19KB   0 downloadsAttached File  another type of minnow.JPG   59.18KB   0 downloads

Edited by ekise38, 06 October 2013 - 06:48 PM.

#2 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:26 PM

I will do my best. Golden redhorse. White sucker. Emerald shiner. Central stoneroller. Banded darter. Golden shiner. Bluntnose minnow. Fathead minnow.

#3 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:25 PM

Easy to say at this point, but I agree with Matt.

#4 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:16 PM

I agree with Matt

#5 Guest_ekise38_*

Guest_ekise38_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:31 PM

thank you gentlemen! Though I lack expertise in this area, just for fun I took a shot with these (after a fair amount of searching) and am happy to report I would have gotten 5 out of 8 right. All of these fish were collected in late September and I really had a hard time with the banded darter..... it seems to me to look very much like a green side out of breeding season... I couldn't tell which one I had photographed. here are a few more pics I wasn't sure of. the first one looks similar to the golden redhorse, but it's not very golden (and it's fins are not nearly as orange as on the redhorse). the second one has a different pattern to it on the flanks, compared to the other darters I collected.thanks in advance!

Attached Files

#6 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:35 PM

I'd have to say that the darter in the 5th post is probably a female Rainbow.

#7 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:31 PM

Thanks for taking the time to get decent photos!

Agree with female rainbow darter (last pic) and the fish in the seine is probably another white sucker. Note the small crowded scales on the front half of the body; redhorses have larger scales.

Banded vs greenside darter: The banded has more, narrower green bars than greenside, and look closely at the snout & mouth shape - they're quite different.

#8 Guest_ekise38_*

Guest_ekise38_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:24 PM

your welcome Gerald, felt like I took hundreds of pics just to make sure I got a few good ones. and thank you, as well as Yeahson, Butch, Dustin and Skipjack for the education and assistance. This stuff fascinates me!

Edited by ekise38, 10 October 2013 - 09:24 PM.

#9 Guest_ekise38_*

Guest_ekise38_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:37 PM

if you would be so kind, please confirm these darters. I believe them to be a Rainbow and a Johnny, however the first has bright orange pectoral fins and all pictures I can find show green pectoral fins for a rainbow.

Attached Files

Edited by ekise38, 10 October 2013 - 09:38 PM.

#10 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:52 PM

Like others said, really nice photos! Looks like a rainbow and a juvenile greenside to me.

#11 Guest_ekise38_*

Guest_ekise38_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:14 PM

ah, I hadn't even considered a juvenile greenside, however it does look like a greenside now that you mention it.

#12 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:00 AM

The basicaudal pattern and color on the first darter looks more like some variety of orangethroat rather than rainbow; the latter usually has a reverse-facing trident pattern.

#13 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:07 PM

The mox appears to be Duquesni and the notropis looks like rubellus/percobromus to me.

#14 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:40 PM

I thought N. rubellus for the Notropis at first, but the snout appears too short and the eye a tad too big. I'm not good with Moxostoma, but the caudal peduncle seems a bit too stout for M. duquesnii.

#15 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:57 AM

I think I am right on on these ID's, but of coarse I do. The suggestions that Uland mentioned are a possibility. I discounted rubellus for the same reason as Blake. On the Mox, it just feels like a golden to me, and in Ohio waters, it seems like the default redhorse. But certainly do your own homework, and consider the possibilities Uland suggested. I am by no means any good at this ID game.

#16 Guest_ekise38_*

Guest_ekise38_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:12 PM

I believe these 2 may be my final requests, but can't guarantee it! =) One was very much yellow, and the other one was sort of pinkish purple. I know, very scientific descriptions. appreciate any help!

Attached Files

#17 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:36 PM

The second looks like a green sunfish with a lot of head. Stunted maybe. The first? looks like a bluegill to me.

#18 Guest_ekise38_*

Guest_ekise38_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:12 AM

thanks Skipjack. the first fish had some bluegill in it for sure; it had a surprising amount of yellow all over it, I guess that caused me to hesitate calling it just a blue gill, but maybe this is just a normal variation that I hadn't seen. the second one does seem to have some green sunfish to it as well, but I've never seen one that was tinted light purple like this one.... thought that was pretty cool. wonder if one or both of these fish are hybrids? anyway, thanks!

#19 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:17 AM

Top fish looks sort of like a redear to me.

#20 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:31 AM

Now that you mention it, redear is a possibility. Thing is I don't see too many in Ohio streams. Usually find them in farm ponds, and reservoirs. I do believe there is a reservoir on Alum creek though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users