WILD KRATZ

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:19 AM

Wild Kratz may be worth approaching. I sit each morning with my two year old son to watch it. It is one of our quality times. This mornings episode dealt with bass and even had some accurate life history information. Each episode deals with a particular type of episode and gets into unique adaptions. Darters would also be good to make a show on.

#2 Guest_Orangespotted_*

Guest_Orangespotted_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:36 AM

My little sister loves that show. As a kid, I used to watch Zoboomafoo (another nature-based show by the Kratt brothers, theme song is similar) all the time and was filled with glee when I saw the Wild Kratts was airing. Did you notice after the Largemouth Bass/Smallmouth Bass episode, when they went fishing in real life afterwards and caught Rock Bass and Pumpkinseeds and put them in an aquarium for the kids to see?

#3 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:03 PM

Yes, fish assemblage looked similar to bodies up in northern part of Midwest like in Great Lake States.

Would be cool if they treated darters or crayfish in a similar manner. Many more kids could relate to the tail end of episode if it dealt with a small stream that kids like to play in already but seldom see what is going on under the turbulence.

#4 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:25 PM

I showed several ethanol-preserved darters from the local Flint River to a student today who visited my lab and was telling me about how much time he spends fishing in the Flint River. He had never seen a darter in his 30 years of living around here and was pleasantly surprised that such a diverse group of fishes lived literally at his feet. And we've had that experience on many collecting trips, showing darters to landowners who of course had no clue such fishes existed. So yeah, by all means show them to kids!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users