Did you grow up calling a fish a different name than most people?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:00 PM

I thought about this, and I can't even imagine?

#22 Guest_goenfishen88_*

Guest_goenfishen88_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:12 PM

growing up in northern Indiana in the 70s, sunfish were bluegills, warmouths were goggle eyes, and bowfins were dogfish. a few old timers called bullheads, pot stickers, most called all catfish bullheads, other than channel cats. pikes were called hammer handles sometimes too.

#23 Guest_Orangespotted_*

Guest_Orangespotted_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:19 PM

I was worried no one was going to ask! The rare yellow-bellied catfish man, after discussing (bragging) at length with the DNR guy about the fish, how he and his mother had researched it online and discovered the true identity of his prized fish, showed a phone picture to the DNR guy. The rare yellow-bellied catfish was: Cyprinus carpio. To this day I still can't see how that moniker came to be... The DNR guy understandably had the most difficult time stifling his laughter while ending the conversation. The whole situation became a running joke around here. That and discoveries of "snakeheads." Also repeated questions about stocking mountain lions in the state. Volunteer for a wildlife authority sometime, and you'll end up hearing the strangest stories...

#24 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:24 PM

I actually thought of that, as well as bowfin, and even mudpuppy. Was trying to think outside the box. I guess they do have "whiskers", two of them.

#25 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:14 PM

bucket mouth for larger mouth bass
and bronze backs for small mouth.
all sunfish could be grouped as panfish or bream in the basket
slabs for crappie marbled slabs for the black ones.
blue cat for any catfish that looks gray and is over 2.5# and lost it spots.lol
mullet = a central stoneroller, this one i have never understood.
and the list gets real wide if you visit bill and bob or bubba at the local pay lake.
baby bass used as bait are pond chubs. oh it gets worse as the beer and sun goes down
just walk the bank and ask what bait is being used and hold your breath.

edit:tony,

Edited by CATfishTONY, 18 November 2013 - 08:50 PM.

#26 Guest_Usil_*

Guest_Usil_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:03 PM

crick

I used to hear taht word as a kid. Just slang for creek.

Usil

#27 Guest_Matt N_*

Guest_Matt N_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:59 PM

Crick is a really common word around west by god virginia as well as crawldad. Blue gill were pan fish, rock bass are rockies, and gar were log fish

#28 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:58 AM

The small flowing water in our back yard, short enough to jump across, is the crick.
Not sure why, my Dad called it that.

Every sunfish is a 'crappie' because .... it sucks compared to other fish. (sorry, not my phrase!)

a crick is a creek you couldnt float a raft down. thats how we wreckon'd that one.

Edited by exasperatus2002, 21 November 2013 - 10:59 AM.

#29 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:35 PM

Yeah, a crick is a small creek.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users