Collecting trip in Eastern Iowa this Saturday

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Ken_*

Guest_Ken_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:58 PM

Sorry for the late notice but I would like to invite you to go collecting this Saturday around the Cedar Rapids area. Kassidy Stitz (Orangespotted on NANFA) will be bringing a small group of people from ISU to see what type of fish and plants we can locate.... I have four locations picked out at this time but I am open to other suggestions as well. Let me know if you are interested and I will give you time and place where to meet as soon as it has been solidified.

Examples of fish I have seen or collected from these locations E. zonale, Etheostoma caeruleum, Etheostoma exile, Etheostoma spectabile (these will only be photographed and immediately released due to their status within Iowa), Etheostoma flabellare, Etheostoma nigrum, Hypentelium nigricans, Lepomis cyanellus, Rhinichthys atratulus, Notropis rubellus, Semotilus atromaculatus, Pimephales promelas, Phoxinus erythrogaster, Culaea Inconstans, Noturus exilis, Campostoma anomalum, Fundulus Diaphanus.... and that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Iowa members I have also sent out an email to you....

Ken

#2 Guest_Orangespotted_*

Guest_Orangespotted_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:24 PM

Bring warm waders! It's set to be chilly. Excited to meet you guys and catch some fishes. :)

#3 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:53 PM

Did you contact Scott Carlson (fishwisperer), I'm not sure how active he is on the forum, but he might be near your area.

#4 Guest_Ken_*

Guest_Ken_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:50 PM

Yes I had sent him an email along with the other Iowa members... sadly I got no replies. Had a great day of collecting though! Got a number of fish for Orangespot that she had hoped to get. Here are a few pictures from today... Not bad for 5 hours of seining including driving and walking time.... Only hit two creeks out of the four we had hoped to... but we decided that gives us new areas for this spring to hit .....Got our normal darters: Rainbow, Banded, Fantail, Johnnie as well as Northern hogsuckers, Carmine shiners, Southern redbellies and Blacknose dace, Blackstriped topminnows, Bluntnose minnows, either a slender madtom or a stonecat (not sure which), Central stonerollers, Green sunfish, Creek chubs, crayfish, frogs, various other minnows/shiners and a few plants. Tried recruiting Orangespots friend from ISU to NANFA... We'll see!!!

Attached Images

• 001.JPG
  • 019.JPG
  • 016.JPG
  • 030.JPG
  • 033.JPG
  • 029.JPG
  • 032.JPG
  • 039.JPG

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:37 PM

Nice outreach there Ken... good job. And seems like you got your target fish too, so that's a win all around.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#6 Guest_Ken_*

Guest_Ken_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:59 PM

Thanks Mike. Heard from kassidy when she got home said the Carmines started to "red up"! She seemed quite happy. She pm'd me today said she showed her friend NANFA's site and thinks she is going to join. If she does I'll have reached one of my my targets for the day also!

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users