Fish ID

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FishyJackson_*

Guest_FishyJackson_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:53 AM

Caught in Cold Spring Harbor, long island, in a tidal area.
Not a great pic my friend sent due to the lighting/ I think it's a Hickory Shad. He caught this in early October- he thinks its a Herring or American Shad. But Herring dont arrive this early over here and I dont think American Shad are around here. Can anyone tell what this is?

Posted Image

#2 Guest_Orangespotted_*

Guest_Orangespotted_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:42 PM

Could you perhaps try to get a better picture of its fins? That may help identification a little. Might need to hold them out with pins or something...

#3 Guest_FishyJackson_*

Guest_FishyJackson_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:19 PM

unfortunately he took a terrible picture and then he used it for bait, so this is all I have.

#4 Guest_Gavinswildlife_*

Guest_Gavinswildlife_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:01 PM

judging form the mouth size, overall size, and reflicative silver, It looks like a hickory shad.

#5 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:27 PM

I'd also say that it looks similar to the hickory shad I've seen, but with that photo, I won't confirm nor deny this identification.

#6 Guest_FishyJackson_*

Guest_FishyJackson_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:18 AM

It turns out he didnt use it as bait and its still in his freezer so I'm going to take pics when I go over there. I'll make sure to get pic of the fins

#7 Guest_Mike_*

Guest_Mike_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:33 PM

See if the lower jaw projects beyond the snout too.

#8 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:39 PM

Looks hickory to me but if you re-photo it, get a shot of the lower jaw pulled away from the upper jaw

#9 Guest_FishyJackson_*

Guest_FishyJackson_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:32 AM

Just wanted to update that I never did take another pic of his fish but I caught one myself the other day it's definately a Hickory, it has the Tarpon-like mouth. Real cool fish

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users