Bluespotted or Banded Sunfish

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_catfishcain_*

Guest_catfishcain_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:57 AM

Caught from Lake Waccamaw, NC on OCT 26, 2013 at night while micro fishing.
Most likely its a Bluespotted Sunfish but I have a difficult time with telling the Banded and Bluespotted sunfish apart. I have caught lots of adult bluespotted sunfish and have never noticed the banding on them before. Even in the middle of winter when their colors fade. But I was fooled by the juvenile bluespotted sunfish not that long ago because of the bands so I have no idea any more.

Attached Files

#2 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:19 AM

Definitely bluespotted.

#3 Guest_catfishcain_*

Guest_catfishcain_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:34 AM

Thats what I was thinking. Thanks

#4 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:00 PM

I've seen many bluespotted sunfish with very prominent bands, especially females. Both species can "turn on" or off the banded pattern depending on mood. Look at snout shape, mouth angle, and iridescent marks under the eye (dots/dashes vs crescent). Cant see any sub-orbital iridescence on your fish, but snout/mouth looks like gloriosus.

#5 Guest_Doug_Dame_*

Guest_Doug_Dame_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:57 PM

Supplemental sighting report:

Four visiting Floridians disturbed Levi CatfishCain at his work Sat at Lake Waccamaw, NC. He recognized us as "not regular fisherman" and possible NANFAns by our gear and site scouting maneuvers. We had a nice conversation. It's worth noting we arrived at a leisurely 3:30 pm; he ARRIVED at 4 am (when the temp was probably about 42) and was still going strong when we saw him.

This micro-fishing hobby is not for woosies.

#6 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:04 PM

That's funny - Years ago I was at Lake Waccamaw with Fritz and some Raleigh Aquar Soc folks, and we saw some weirdos dipnetting in the weedy ditches around the lake. That's how I first met Mike Sandel.

Supplemental sighting report:

Four visiting Floridians disturbed Levi CatfishCain at his work Sat at Lake Waccamaw, NC. He recognized us as "not regular fisherman" and possible NANFAns by our gear and site scouting maneuvers. We had a nice conversation. It's worth noting we arrived at a leisurely 3:30 pm; he ARRIVED at 4 am (when the temp was probably about 42) and was still going strong when we saw him.

This micro-fishing hobby is not for woosies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users