Bourbeuse River, Missouri

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_rndouglas_*

Guest_rndouglas_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:51 PM

A few weekends ago I had one last chance to get out and microfish this year with a friend. I was just trying to catch fish, not really targeting anything in particular (other than Grass Pickerel). We have now been shut-out in at least 8 locations in east-central Missouri for Grass Pickerel.

Here's a little write-up: http://centralmofish...euse-river.html

And here's the trip list:

Species encountered (visual or caught* by one of us):
  • Smallmouth Bass*
  • Bluegill
  • Green Sunfish
  • Longear Sunfish*
  • Striped Shiner*
  • Orangethroat Darter
  • Rainbow Darter*
  • Gilt Darter
  • Logperch
  • Meramec Saddled Darter
  • Banded Darter
  • Fantail Darter
  • Bigeye Shiner*
  • Sand Shiner
  • Blackspotted Topminnow
  • Blackstripe Topminnow
  • Unidentified minnow(s)*
In hindsight, I should have spent the entire time microfishing. I think that's what I'm learning each time I go out....stick to the little stuff and I'll have a much more enjoyable outing because they almost always bite!

Edited by rndouglas, 28 October 2013 - 03:51 PM.

#2 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:09 PM

Good stuff, thanks for sharing. Would love to see pictures of the Meramec and gilt darters.

#3 Guest_rndouglas_*

Guest_rndouglas_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:54 PM

Really hoping to catch them both next Spring, either by net or by hook! I tried to take a couple photos of the saddled darter with my waterproof camera, but they did not turn out. We kicked up enough silt that the camera focused on the debris and you couldn't even tell there was a fish out there. I'm also looking forward to donning my wetsuit and snorkeling a bit next Spring to see what else I might find in the streams around here.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users