Microfishing at the 2014 NANFA Convention

27 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:27 PM

While everyone else is splashing about with their silly nets, I plan to be upstream around the next bend, hunched over a riffle trying to convince tiny fish to bite the tiny bait I am presenting to them on a tiny hook.

If you're interested in joining, feel free to post in this thread!

Think about it this way: If you were walking down the sidewalk, and a guy holding a giant net said, "hey buddy, want to get in my giant net?", you'd be like, "hell no dude!" But... if you were walking down the sidewalk, and a guy randomly offered you a cheeseburger, you'd be like, "hey awesome stranger, thanks for this cheeseburger! I'm gunna try to stuff the whole thing in my mouth right here and now!"

Microfishing, it's for the cool people who don't splash around with silly nets. :biggrin:

#2 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:00 PM

Hahahaha I love the analogy! I'm personally no microfisherman (at least not yet) but I think you have a decent chance of being a valuable asset for the species teams. You may very well be able to increase the species count by getting into some of those sutbborn, hard-to-net species.

#3 Guest_EricaLyons_*

Guest_EricaLyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:58 PM

Success in microfishing seems to have a lot to do with what tools you use. Can you list the equipment you own / are bringing?

#4 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:02 AM

Success in microfishing seems to have a lot to do with what tools you use. Can you list the equipment you own / are bringing?

Sure, it's a pretty small list.

For chubs, luxilus shiners, and sunfish:
- 5 ft ultralight with spinning reel and 4lb mono line
- #10 Gamakatsu octopus hooks
- small bobber if you want to drift through a riffle / run / pool
- about an inch piece of worm

For darters and shiners that don't spook when you're wading in the middle of the creek:
- 5 ft ultralight with spinning reel and 4lb mono line (same as above)
- presnelled Tanago New Half Moon hooks
- the tiniest bit of worm you can fit where the hook makes its sharp bend

For bank fishing, when reach is needed and / or when the fish are spooky:
- 12 ft crappie rod with spinning reel and 2lb mono line
- presnelled Tanago New Half Moon hooks

For bank fishing when your bait doesn't need to go more than 12 inches below the surface:
- 12+ ft telescoping crappie pole (incredibly cheap, $10 or $15)
- presnelled Tanago New Half Moon hooks, tied directly to the end of the pole

EDIT: The size and number of split shot can be pretty important too. In riffles with strong current I'll sometimes have as many as 3 medium sized split shot an inch or two back from the micro hook.

Here's a photo showing the Tanago New Half Moon alongside some other hooks.

Posted Image

#5 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:20 AM

While everyone else is splashing about with their silly nets, I plan to be upstream around the next bend, hunched over a riffle trying to convince tiny fish to bite the tiny bait I am presenting to them on a tiny hook.

If you're interested in joining, feel free to post in this thread!

Think about it this way: If you were walking down the sidewalk, and a guy holding a giant net said, "hey buddy, want to get in my giant net?", you'd be like, "hell no dude!" But... if you were walking down the sidewalk, and a guy randomly offered you a cheeseburger, you'd be like, "hey awesome stranger, thanks for this cheeseburger! I'm gunna try to stuff the whole thing in my mouth right here and now!"

Microfishing, it's for the cool people who don't splash around with silly nets. :biggrin:

Duuuuuude, now all we need are some stone(d)rollers with the munchies, maan...
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#6 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:23 AM

Smart alecness aside, if I make it to NC I'd love to give it a try with you. I've had a little luck with microfishing, but nothing comparable to your results. Partly to blame is flat out lack of skill, but lack of patience is also to blame. At least when I'm silly-splashin' I feel like I'm accomplishing something. Even when I'm not...
Matt Knepley

#7 Guest_Erica Lyons_*

Guest_Erica Lyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:26 PM

I've officially registered for the NANFA convention! Microfishing offers a nice contrast to running through the water all day long. I'm going to order a few different micro hooks online. yay :)
My rod is just the smallest rod I could find at the sporting goods store, though. It's one of those cheap $10 children's fishing rods (complete with neon green paint color). Should I look into a different rod? Has anyone ever used the cheapo rods with any success?

#8 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:46 PM

I'll let Ben give the authoritative answer, but I have always found short poles difficult to use unless you are sitting right on top of the fish. (icefishing) With those short-sized kiddie rods there is not enough pole for casting, or for a hook set, even when all you are doing is a gentle-ish lift. When my girls (ages 11 &7) fish, they do better with more adult sized poles. On the other hand, I don't like overly long poles like some microfishers use, as I am fairly clumsy and 10' of fishing pole is about 4' too much for me.

I just registered, too. I could probably bring you up one of the girl's or my poles to borrow if you want to try something besides the short pole. And who knows, that short pole might suit you to a tee. Fishing is much more art than science, not matter what gear manufacturers tell you...
Matt Knepley

#9 Guest_Erica Lyons_*

Guest_Erica Lyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:14 PM

That would be nice of you, thank you.

I don't have high hopes for catching anything. Usually I just grin like an idiot, splash a lot, catch nothing, and go home happy just to have been outside.

#10 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:43 PM

"I don't have high hopes for catching anything. Usually I just grin like an idiot, splash a lot, catch nothing, and go home happy just to have been outside."

In that case you have already attained master artist status.
Matt Knepley

#11 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:23 PM

My rod is just the smallest rod I could find at the sporting goods store, though. It's one of those cheap $10 children's fishing rods (complete with neon green paint color). Should I look into a different rod? Has anyone ever used the cheapo rods with any success?

A short rod won't be good unless you're standing in the middle of the creek going after fish that aren't afraid to come right up to you. Picture really bold cyprinellas swimming around by your legs.. A short rod will work for darters, madtoms, and sculpins as well. For just about everything else you'll need something longer than 6 ft. Like Matt start, really long poles (10+ ft) are frustrating to use when you first start off. I really like my 7ft rod for all-purpose microfishing.

I'll bring an assortment of rods and poles (5ft, 6.5ft, 7ft, 12ft, and 20ft). I don't mind if people try them out or borrow them.

#12 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:24 AM

Twenty FEET?!?! Are there microwhales in them thar waters? :)
Matt Knepley

#13 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:42 AM

Twenty FEET?!?! Are there microwhales in them thar waters? :)

It's one of the Black Widow telescoping crappie poles. I think paid $20 for it. Haven't used it yet, but I'm hoping it will help me catch the REALLY spooky fish.

#14 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:03 PM

It's not really for catching anything ... it just helps him feel more manly.

#15 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:48 PM

It's not really for catching anything ... it just helps him feel more manly.

Sooooo many possible comments come to mind,and not one of them appropriate! ;) Seeing's how I'm probably already on double-secret probation and really want to be allowed to attend the convention, I'll be a good boy and not tick off the mods...
Matt Knepley

#16 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:53 PM

Waiting. You won't anger me Matt. I love a good laugh here, as long as it is PG 13 or so.

#17 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:54 PM

If you think you might join the microfishing crew, send me a PM with your phone number or send me a text at 3O9-361-28O7. We plan to go to the same spots as everyone else, but we'll probably try to avoid the big crowds since we need relatively undisturbed waters to do our thing. I plan to get the 10-day fishing license.

#18 Guest_Erica Lyons_*

Guest_Erica Lyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:50 PM

Do we need to buy a license to go microfishing, or is this type of fishing covered under the group license for the convention?

#19 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:52 PM

It's covered as long as you are with the group.

#20 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:11 PM

Do you plan to fish in the same spot where a bunch of people are seining?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users