Microfishing at the 2014 NANFA Convention

27 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:27 PM

I think "with the group" is used loosely Ben. You could surely be a hundred yards or more away.

#22 Guest_guyswartwout_*

Guest_guyswartwout_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:50 PM

This is going to sound so pathetic because I used to love fishing, but I'm not sure I want to fiddle with all that tackle anymore. Can I just watch? Actually, my fingers aren't very nimble, and I'm not sure I can even see anything finer than 1/8" braid. :blush:

#23 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:06 PM

A lot of people watch, and members are usually happy to bring fish over to people so that they can view the species that they caught. That is the way it goes with netting, and I would suppose the micro-fishers would be happy to do the same.

#24 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:10 PM

Sure, feel free to hang out even if you don't fish.

#25 Guest_wispfox_*

Guest_wispfox_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:23 AM

Sure, it's a pretty small list.

For chubs, luxilus shiners, and sunfish:
- 5 ft ultralight with spinning reel and 4lb mono line
- #10 Gamakatsu octopus hooks
- small bobber if you want to drift through a riffle / run / pool
- about an inch piece of worm

Oooh, does #10 mean the sunnies don't swallow the darned hook? Or are octopus hooks like circle hooks?

So far my tiny amount of micro-fishing experience has involved catching four probably bluegills, three of which swallowed my hooks. I did also use about an inch piece of worm, also; do bluegills not notice or care when it's the tiny amount you listed below? I was using a microfishing kit, which evidently uses the Owner smallest hook.

- presnelled Tanago New Half Moon hooks

Looks like this is your other hook of choice (when not potentially dealing with sunnies), yes? And a tiny amount of bait appears relevant, too?

EDIT: The size and number of split shot can be pretty important too. In riffles with strong current I'll sometimes have as many as 3 medium sized split shot an inch or two back from the micro hook.

I haven't yet tried to fish in riffles (it seems like most of the water near me is pretty calm, actually). Clearly I need to obtain more shot when I do try!

I won't be at the convention, but this list was just too useful to pass up! :)

#26 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:42 AM

Oooh, does #10 mean the sunnies don't swallow the darned hook? Or are octopus hooks like circle hooks?

I usually cast downstream, let my bait sink for a few seconds, and then do a slow retrieve, bumping the bait along the bottom. If you set the hook as soon as you feel the bite, you shouldn't have many swallowed hooks. Octopus hooks have a bit more curve to them than J hooks, sort of half way between J hooks and circle hooks.

Posted Image

Looks like this is your other hook of choice (when not potentially dealing with sunnies), yes? And a tiny amount of bait appears relevant, too?

Yup, the Owner New Half Moon Tanago hooks are not as wide as the Owner Smallest Tanago hooks, so they work better for shiners and darters with small mouths. The smaller the mouth, the smaller the bait. You can put a pretty big chunk of worm on for madtoms (pencil eraser sized), but for darters you want about as small a piece as you can manage. Swiss army knife scissors are helpful.

Posted Image

#27 Guest_Doug_Dame_*

Guest_Doug_Dame_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2014 - 01:01 PM

You have to be really frugal, or really masochistic, to buy these micro-fishing hooks bare, instead of pre-rigged with some attached line.

Or in my case, really stupid and unthinking.

Ben's 2nd picture of the Owner Tanago hooks is about 6x life-size, these things are incredibly tiny.

#28 Guest_wispfox_*

Guest_wispfox_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2014 - 08:00 PM

Thanks for the info! I had, in fact, been failing to keep the line moving; I caught a bluegill earlier today with the hook in the throat, not the stomach. Much better. :)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users