New from KY!

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ShelleyD_*

Guest_ShelleyD_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:07 PM

Hello all, I'm so glad I found this site! I'm on some other aquarium groups and forums but not many people know much about keeping 'native' fishes.

Currently we have 10 fish tanks. Most of them are tropical fish but we do have 1 orangethroat darter that my son caught in our creek last spring. We are hoping to find him some friends and move him to a more 'natural' setting. I'd also like to get some dace or minnows for the tank, it is 38 gallons after all, so lots of room!

Be warned that I will pick your brains an awful lot, just to make sure I'm doing the best by my fish! I can find all sorts of information on the other fish I keep but it's difficult to find info on fish I can find in my backyard!

#2 Guest_dac343_*

Guest_dac343_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:00 AM

Welcome, glad to see another Kentuckian on here.

#3 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:15 PM

Welcome to NANFA

What part of the state are you from? It's super short notice, but dac343 and I will be going to Red River Gorge tomorrow for some collecting, and you're welcome to come.

#4 Guest_ShelleyD_*

Guest_ShelleyD_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:37 AM

I am in Adair Co., I have no idea where Red River Gorge is? I would love to go collecting with you if you are ever in my neck of the woods. We live about 1 mile from the Green River, so I'm sure you can find something here :)

We caught the darter in the creek that runs through our property and we have also caught southern red-belly dace in the same creek. The creek is dry now, as it is most times, but in the rainy season it usually has a lot of water and fish in it. My son also caught some type of chub and a small bluegill in the creek last summer.

#5 Guest_dac343_*

Guest_dac343_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:34 PM

The Gorge is over in Daniel Boone NF, its located near Natural bridge if that rings a bell.

#6 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:42 PM

64 west of Lexington, southeast on Mountain parkway. Slade KY. If you have never been there, you should go, if for no other reason than the scenery.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users