New to the forums

39 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Matt N_*

Guest_Matt N_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:58 PM

Hi every one I am not in fact new to native fish keeping just new to the forum. Im always interrested in learn new things about my natives. I currently have one 125 gallon native tank with two 40ies to come. I am open to any advice or suggestions that you may have thanks.

#2 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:10 PM

Welcome to the forum Matt. What natives are you keeping in that tank? And whereabouts in WV are you? I'm in SW Virginia in Blacksburg and always looking for opportunities to get in the water with others!

#3 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:10 PM

I would advise you to tell us what is stocked in your 125, and what your interests are. Without some additional info, it will be difficult to help you out. That is a nice sized tank, you could do a lot with it.

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:22 PM

Welcome WV Matt. I am not as shy as some here, I will tell you right off that if you have a tank that large, you should be looking to create a real stream habitat complete with huge schools of Notropis shiners (your favorite/local Hydrophlox) a grouping of a larger shiner... probably a Luxilus up that way maybe crescents would be nice from over Virginia way... and some Nocomis chubs (which will grow nicely in a tank that large. Then you can start messing around with darters as well... and maybe even a slackwater location for some Fundulus of some sort, not sure what you have up there exactly... that would be a tank to see!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 Guest_Matt N_*

Guest_Matt N_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:22 PM

My tank currently has 6 creck chub, 2 dallor sunfish, 1 green sunfish, 1 log perch and two non natives a leopard pelco and a pike cichlid. As well I am located in Shinnston WV.

#6 Guest_Erica Lyons_*

Guest_Erica Lyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:25 PM

I would fill it with pygmy sunfish.... :biggrin:

oooh, or maybe try to spawn longears or dollars.

#7 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:26 PM

oops, my suggestion will not work with those creek chubs and that greenie (those are some large mouthed fish). But I will admit, although that are not good with smaller fish, large creek chubs can be very fun in an aquarium with the right tank mates... they go all gold spangles and will eat anything... and they dont take no crap form bullheads...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#8 Guest_Matt N_*

Guest_Matt N_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:40 PM

Yea the 125 is pretty much set with the exception of 3 more fish two blue gill and one cat fish (undesided yet).And yes the cubs are funny little guys to watch play around in the tank. Now for one of the 40ies I am looking to do a stream tank but I have never done a set up like it. dose eny one have some pointers and I will probly do small pigmy tank down the road cuz my wife loves them.

#9 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:44 PM

Yeah, those big mouthed fish are tough. Don't count on too many smaller bodied tank mates. If you haven't already run into one angling, creek chubs get fairly large, have big mouths, and though they are not particularly aggressive, they will eat!

#10 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:46 PM

Best bet is to start using the search function. There are may threads about stream tank set ups here.

#11 Guest_Matt N_*

Guest_Matt N_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:58 PM

Thank you very much I took a quick glance at it and my set up seem like it will be an excellent for a few daters and dacies now just a matter of ordering them. Also i got my member ship ealier to day yet it still says Im a gust is there something else I need to do?

#12 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:10 PM

our systems are really manual, it will take a few days before you get a confirmation email (and I will get a copy) and then I will update your status.

and don't "order fish"... get out in the field and "find" fish!

#13 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:11 PM

Thanks for your patronage Matt. Give it a few days, this is handled by our treasurer and Michael Wolfe. It is a pretty manual process, so be a little patient. After that, the trading dock will open up to you, and you will be able to swap some of your local fish with others, and maybe find some of what you are looking for. We don't have a rep in West Virginia, but Ohio, and Kentucky aren't too far away. Look out for some outings in either of those states, or like Derek(Kanus) said, catch up with him, he is a water monkey, and is probably ready to play in a creek any day he can.

#14 Guest_Matt N_*

Guest_Matt N_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:16 PM

Lol i wld love be catching the fish for my tanks but the weather in WV right now isnt the best of fishing conditions. ITS COLD!!!!

#15 Guest_Gavinswildlife_*

Guest_Gavinswildlife_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:18 PM

Cold = Hunting season. I might try "sampling" the deer this time of year, I'm in the area for thanksgiving. :D

Edited by Gavinswildlife, 19 November 2013 - 09:19 PM.

#16 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:38 PM

Not great sampling season now, but your time is coming!

#17 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:55 PM

Actually, it is the best time of year for bring fish home. They do not stress nearly as bad as they do in warm weather. I have also heard that parasite loads are smaller in the cool months. Makes sense, all I can say for sure is that fish I have collected in cool weather do much better.

#18 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:56 PM

Fall is a good time to collect fish... they don't get as stressed in the cool weather... and you might need waders... but it is still plenty fun to get out there and understand your fish in their natural habitat.

#19 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:00 PM

Waders. Yeah. I have a pair I bought just for Ed Bihary...dreadful things!

#20 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:27 PM

I will admit that I was out collecting the beginning of last week and the only fish I could find at all were juvenile mountain redbelly dace, and only by netting clumps of leaves and picking through them. Cool weather is best for transporting the fish, yes, but they do get a bit harder to find when it's really cold.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users