Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:41 PM

Get better at it.

#22 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:45 PM

I will admit that I was out collecting the beginning of last week and the only fish I could find at all were juvenile mountain redbelly dace, and only by netting clumps of leaves and picking through them. Cool weather is best for transporting the fish, yes, but they do get a bit harder to find when it's really cold.

Myself and David went out about 2 weeks ago, I thought we great results. It's all in where you look. However I agree it can be harder during cool weather.

Sent from the Mantaray using tapatalk

#23 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:46 PM

latitude sickness... I feel so sorry for y'all
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#24 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:23 AM

Welcome aboard!

It's good to have more Mountaineers on here. Spent a couple years in Morgantown, and exploring the state took me through Shinnston a couple times. Got to see a whole lot of the state. Absolutely fell in love with it, and its people. Although neither of us are native, both my wife and I claim West by-God to an extent. She was the first of her mama's side not born in WV since way back when it was still plain ol' VA.

Given my feelings for the Mountain State, I would love a stream tank with mountain redbellied dace and Appalachia darters. Both are really neat fish native to WV, although not specifically Harrison County. Not sure of the legalities of collecting in WV, but they'd be on my short list if I was up there!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#25 Guest_Matt N_*

Guest_Matt N_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:45 AM

Thanks for being so welcoming every one and i just may try to go out and fish this weekend but i dnt think my results will be very good lol.

#26 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:26 AM

KhaiWan was just asking me about catching shiners in cold weathers, so I figured I would copy the PM I sent him here:

In cold weather minnows avoid strong currents. Focus on slower pools beneath undercut banks and tree roots, or under fallen trees and branch piles, or under large flat rocks. All the fish tend to congregate in a few favorite places - they're not scattered around the stream foraging like in warmer weather. It can take some time to find where their favorite wintering pools are. Make sure there's no ice in the net when you lift it -- it can crush or cut the fish. Lift the ice off the surface while the net is still partly under water. Good luck! Remember to check the trout stream lists or maps - no seining allowed in designated trout waters.

#27 Guest_Matt N_*

Guest_Matt N_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:24 PM

thanks for the pointers gerald

#28 Guest_Matt N_*

Guest_Matt N_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:14 PM

Well tried fishing to day with no success so left my minnow trap over night hope there some thing there in the morring

#29 Guest_Matt N_*

Guest_Matt N_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:23 PM

Also any one that is familiar with West Virginia have goods spots I should go to and try my luck

#30 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:14 PM

If you are going to use a minnow trap, bear in mind that fish metabolism slows in cold weather. Therefore they are not going to feed as heavily, or be as attracted to baits this time of year. I would put the trap in the deepest part of slow pools, right where leaf matter has collected.

If you can get a seine, and a buddy to help you out, you will have many more options, and probably greater success.

#31 Guest_Matt N_*

Guest_Matt N_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:51 PM

Order the seine yesterday sld be in some time next week stuck with the traps untill thin but ill try moving them tomoorow

#32 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:27 PM

Great. You will find that running a net is not only a lot of fun, but will show you many more fish species than a trap. You can run a net through pools, and you can set it in a riffle, and you and your partner can kick the stream substrate, and see lots of riffle oriented fish like madtoms, darters, many shiners, and stonerollers.

#33 Guest_Matt N_*

Guest_Matt N_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:30 PM

I might feel stupid for asking but i have seen the word riffle used a lot what exactly is it?

#34 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:33 PM

A riffle is just the area of a stream where it gets shallow, swifter, and is between pools. You may have a different name for it around you, shoal, run, something like that.

#35 Guest_Matt N_*

Guest_Matt N_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:41 PM

Yea I feel kinda silly we just call them shallow rapids here. I do have a lot of place near by that are (riffle) and look forward to trying this method out.

#36 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:01 PM

Shallow rapids is accurate.

#37 Guest_Gavinswildlife_*

Guest_Gavinswildlife_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:12 PM

Try the little kanawha anywhere. Or the Hughes. I've seen a myriad of sculpins, dace, and shiners near falls mill. That's in Braxton county near sutton. Just my 2c :)

Edited by Gavinswildlife, 01 December 2013 - 06:12 PM.

#38 Guest_Matt N_*

Guest_Matt N_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:47 PM

i was actually right be side the little kanawha yesterday but didn't have ant thing to catch or haul some thing home lol

#39 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:15 PM

When I first moved to Mississippi I didn't have any idea where to collect. I was also fairly new to the organized native hobby. We have a natural history museum nearby (in Jackson) and I asked the first staffer I ran into where I should go. I got some good help and developed some lasting friendships from that first encounter.

My point is, if you have such a resource, use it.

#40 Guest_Doug_Dame_*

Guest_Doug_Dame_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:07 PM

I've collected in mid and northern Alabama in the winter when the creeks had sheet ice over the slack water.

Of course, being from Florida I initially couldn't comprehend what I was looking at. Floating glass ? What kind of trash is this???

Actually, I knew what the ice was, but that's not as good a story. However, best to make sure to have a belt on your waders if you collecting in the winter time. Filling the trou' with 5 gallons of icy water would be a fairly miserable experience.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users