Superfund Site Fishes

19 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:36 PM

Hello everybody,

As a fisheries biologist at an environmental consulting firm, most of my time in the water was spent in places in greatest need of restoration, mitigation, or biological monitoring of some sort. The Paoli Rail Yard in Paoli, PA (southeastern PA - not far from Philadelphia) was an example of such a place. During the history of the operation of the rail yard, commuter trains were serviced, repaired, and stored on site. Routine maintenance and repair of rail cars often involved the use of electrical equipment containing polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs). The use of PCBs was common at rail yards and other facilities throughout the country until it was banned for most uses in the 1970s, due to health concerns. For those not familiar with PCBs and the potential health risks, please see this link: http://public.health...nyls(PCBs).aspx

In the mid-1980s, the USEPA determined erosion of soils from the rail yard has contaminated nearby Valley Creek and its tributaries with PCBs. The USEPA declared the site a Superfund Site (for more information on Superfund Sites see this link: http://www.epa.gov/superfund/about.htm) and in 1990 added this site to the National Priorities List. The National Priorities List is a list of the nation's most serious, uncontrolled, or abandoned hazardous waste sites. I should point out these statements are not my opinion, but rather information taken from the USEPA Superfund website for the Paoli Rail Yard (http://www.epa.gov/r...s/PAD980692594/).

With all this being said, the recovery process is in motion, and in October 2013, I was part of a team tasked with conducting an assessment of PCB contamination in fish tissue in Valley Creek and Little Valley Creek (here's a brief explanation of some of the reasons why the public is concerned about PCB contamination in fish: http://public.health...Pages/pcbs.aspx). Although our study mostly focused on brown trout (Salmo trutta), which have a self-sustaining population in the Valley Creek watershed, we also targeted adult white sucker (Catostomus commersonii), as they're long-lived and have potential to accumulate PCBs in their tissue.

Of course, even when electrofishing and targeting only brown trout and white sucker, I can't help but notice and ID the other species present. Here's some pictures and narrative from fish collecting in Valley Creek and Little Valley Creek:

Posted Image

The upper portion of Valley Creek had a limestone cobble and gravel bottom with well defined riffles, runs, and pools. Numerous undercut banks provided habitat for large brown trout. We also found a school of pearl dace (Margariscus margarita) in the pool directly under this bridge. (Note: I left my Peterson's Field Guide at the office, I'm not sure if these pearl dace were Allegheny pearl dace or northern pearl dace. I'd have to check the distribution data). I was excited to encounter these, as I've never collected this species. Unfortunately, light was running low by the time I had an opportunity to photograph any specimens, and I resigned to the thought that we'd be sampling other portions of the creek the next day. As my luck would have it, we didn't catch any more at any of the other sites the next day...oh well. Isn't that usually how it goes?

The next morning I found myself knee deep in Little Valley Creek. Much like the upper portion of Valley Creek, this stream had numerous riffles, runs, and pools with limestone gravel and cobble substrate. The water here was very cool, clear, and full of brown trout of several different age classes.

Posted Image

When we moved further downstream in Little Valley Creek, we started to encounter a slightly more diverse fish community. In addition to the numerous brown trout, we collected:
Eastern blacknose dace (Rhinchthys atratulus)

Posted Image

Cutlips minnow (Exoglossum maxillingua)

Posted Image
Posted Image

Tesselated darter (Etheostoma olmstedi)

Posted Image

We also encountered pumpkinseed sunfish (Lepomis gibbosus) and bluegill sunfish (Lepomis macrochirus) hiding among the rootwads.

Our last site we needed to visit was the lower end of Valley Creek. Here the stream is much wider and had the most diversity.

Posted Image

This portion of Valley Creek contained a greater variety of habitat types, surely contributing the greater fish diversity. Many of the undercut banks and rootwads were home for young-of-year brown trout.

Posted Image

In addition to brown trout, the lower end of this stream was home to:
Eastern blacknose dace (Rhinichthys atratulus)
Cutlips minnow (Exoglossum maxillingua)
Creek chub (Semotilus atromaculatus)
White sucker (Catostomus commersonii)
Northern hogsucker (Hypentelium nigricans)
Pumpkinseed sunfish (Lepomis gibbosus)
Bluegill sunfish (Lepoims macrochirus)
Tesselated darter (Etheostoma olmstedi)

Certainly not a very species rich stream, however the assemblage is typical of coldwater streams in the region. I was a bit surprised to not find longnose dace (Rhinichthys cataractae) or mottled sculpin (Cottus bairdii) in any of the riffles.

After departing from the stream, we headed westward to Ohio and sent the brown trout and white sucker samples off to a laboratory to be tested for PCB content. Of course, I cannot share the results of the testing, as that would violate confidentiality agreements.

During the trip I had to keep reminding myself that this stream chocked full of brown trout and numerous other coldwater species was also a Superfund Site. Hopefully, the stream and its residents will one day be free from the legacy of contamination in the watershed.

Well, this has helped me fight off cabin fever for another day (snowiest winter in northwestern Ohio since 1978). If any of you happen to be in the Philadelphia area, this stream isn't a bad place to stop and visit...especially if you're interested in catching a pearl dace or cutlips minnow (I bet the trout fishing isn't bad either ;))

#2 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:08 PM

My old MS advisor and I did some fish survey work there back in the early 1990s. Neat area, a real shame that it's going to be a very, very, very long time for those contaminants to not be an issue. That should be Allegheny pearl dace, btw. On the bright side, they probably didn't have much color in Oct... ;)

#3 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:12 PM

I'm very close to Paoli, I'll have to check it out. The thought of an invasive like Brown Trout sustaining a population doesn't make me happy, but I've never encountered Pearl Dace.

#4 Guest_tomterp_*

Guest_tomterp_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2014 - 04:13 PM

Great report Nate, thanks for sharing.

#5 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:39 PM

My old MS advisor and I did some fish survey work there back in the early 1990s. Neat area, a real shame that it's going to be a very, very, very long time for those contaminants to not be an issue. That should be Allegheny pearl dace, btw. On the bright side, they probably didn't have much color in Oct... ;)

Did you guys come across sculpins or longnose dace? I know it's a long time ago, but I'm still scratching my head about their absence. You're right about the pearl dace coloration. They had a very faint pink hue.

I'm very close to Paoli, I'll have to check it out. The thought of an invasive like Brown Trout sustaining a population doesn't make me happy, but I've never encountered Pearl Dace.

I'm glad to hear you'll check it out.

Great report Nate, thanks for sharing.

I'm glad you liked it. I'm thinking about whipping up an account of my work on the National Rivers and Streams Assessment from this past summer.

#6 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:51 PM

Very pretty stream, and the pictured fish look to be pretty healthy; definitely a chore to remember it's a superfund site. Thanks for the write-up.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#7 Guest_Heather_*

Guest_Heather_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:10 PM

Very pretty stream, and the pictured fish look to be pretty healthy; definitely a chore to remember it's a superfund site. Thanks for the write-up.

Absolutely. ...thanks for being a part of the solution. ...and for sharing this with us.

#8 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:20 PM

Did you guys come across sculpins or longnose dace? I know it's a long time ago, but I'm still scratching my head about their absence.

Not that I can remember. Longnose are patchy in the lower Delaware drainage, and there should only be slimy sculpin in that drainage -- and only north of Valley Creek.

#9 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:23 PM

That monitoring work is STILL going on? Sheesh, I think it was a year or two in when I sampled there. Joel and I got caught in a flash flood from a hurricane.

#10 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:17 PM

Thanks for sharing! Looks like a pretty area. That is surprising about the lack of sculpin or longnose dace. When I think trout water, those two are the top of my list of likely community members. Those fish look nice and healthy though. Pearl dace are a cool find! I've only seen one or two in person, and would love to see them again.

#11 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:17 AM

Thanks for sharing Nate, that looks like a very beautiful creek.

Sent from the Atrix HD Kit-Maxx

#12 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:44 AM

I agree. Certainly a stream I would visit again if I was in the area.

Absolutely. ...thanks for being a part of the solution. ...and for sharing this with us.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Not that I can remember. Longnose are patchy in the lower Delaware drainage, and there should only be slimy sculpin in that drainage -- and only north of Valley Creek.

I see. Somehow, I still have not captured a slimy sculpin. It's on the to-do list next time I'm in eastern PA.

That monitoring work is STILL going on? Sheesh, I think it was a year or two in when I sampled there. Joel and I got caught in a flash flood from a hurricane.

Yeah, Matt. Monitoring is still going on at Paoli. From the looks of things, it might even be continuing into the foreseeable future. Joel has toned back his fish work. He's now the head of the Stream Restoration Dept. On a side note, two months ago I left EnviroScience to begin a career in state service. I'm working as an environmental scientist for the Ohio Department of Transportation in Lima, OH. Now that I'm getting older and getting married in October, I needed a job with a more reliable schedule. As I'm sure you remember from your time as a consultant, you never really know when you're going to be on the road.

Thanks for sharing! Looks like a pretty area. That is surprising about the lack of sculpin or longnose dace. When I think trout water, those two are the top of my list of likely community members. Those fish look nice and healthy though. Pearl dace are a cool find! I've only seen one or two in person, and would love to see them again.

Me and a few of my fellow biologists at the site kept commenting on the health of the blacknose dace in this stream. They were all in fantastic shape.

Thanks for sharing Nate, that looks like a very beautiful creek.

Sent from the Atrix HD Kit-Maxx

Sure was. I'm sure plenty of streams down around you in KY looks similar to this one.

#13 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:36 AM

While out in PA, I took a moment to stop at Yellow Breeches Creek (Susquehanna River tributary) in Boiling Springs (about 15 miles southwest of Harrisburg). This creek received "Scenic River" designation from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in 1992. A large spring-fed lake provides cool water to Yellow Breeches Creek in the town of Boiling Springs. I hopped in the stream at the Mountain Road Bridge on the south side of town and was immediately aware of the reason this stream is such a popular destination...

Posted Image

After catching a few small brown trout on dry flies near the bridge, I waded downstream in search of larger fish. The historic look of the bridge caused me to stop and look back upstream and take another picture.

Posted Image

After bringing about a half dozen brown trout to hand (which was no easy task in this stream...on more than one occasion I could see a trout swim up to my fly and swim sideways/backwards while tracking my dry fly downstream 10 or so feet), I decided to use nymph patterns to fish below the surface and see what else calls this stream home. I usually get made fun of by my fishing buddies for being more excited about catching the non-game species than the game species. All in good fun though. Heck, it's my time on the water, I can choose to fish for whatever I want, right? Haha. Anyways, after a few drifts through the tail-end of a pool, I brought my first fallfish (Semotilus corporalis) to hand:

Posted Image

This was my first one caught via hook-and-line, although I've caught quite a few before via electrofishing. The one pictured below is by far the biggest one I've ever seen:

Posted Image

We put the tape to that one and it measured 16". I should note the guy holding the picture has UNUSUALLY large hands ;) . That fish was captured in a Delaware River tributary (Lackawaxen River) in northeastern PA.

All in all, it was a nice little stop and another reminder of the beauty of Pennsylvania.

#14 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:03 AM

Congrats on the new gig and getting hitched!

You were on quality slimy sculpin water there on the Breeches. If you would have slowly flipped a couple rocks by hand you might have been able to noodle one...

#15 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:17 PM

Congrats on the new gig and getting hitched!

You were on quality slimy sculpin water there on the Breeches. If you would have slowly flipped a couple rocks by hand you might have been able to noodle one...

Thanks, Dave!

Darn...I had a dipnet in the car too... I am committing to carrying a "Perfect Dipnet" with me while fly fishing in the future. Not only can I take a peek at fishes, but it's a great way to check out what bugs the fish might be eating.

#16 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:03 AM

I'm confused by the statement that "of course" there's a confidentiality agreement. This was publicly funded work related to the Superfund cleanup, right? How can that not be public information?

#17 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:39 PM

I'm confused by the statement that "of course" there's a confidentiality agreement. This was publicly funded work related to the Superfund cleanup, right? How can that not be public information?

You're correct. I'm sure the information is available at some location, although I haven't seen it. It would have been more appropriate for me to say I was working as a sub-contractor at the time and sent tissue samples off to a laboratory. The results were sent to the primary contractor. I'm not aware of the results, because I have changed jobs since this project.

#18 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:40 PM

Just heard some news regarding Valley Creek. It seems that about 5,000,000 gallons of raw sewage flowed into the creek today after a 30" sewer main broke. No reports of any fish kill yet, and fortunately water levels are very high due to snow melt. That stream can't catch a break! It might be good that I decided to reschedule the sampling trip.

#19 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:10 AM

Wow! Thanks for the notification.

For others interested, here's a link to the story:

http://philadelphia....ley-forge-park/

You said you had a sampling trip scheduled? Where you planning on sampling fish?

#20 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:24 AM

I was planning on going there April 12, but I never got a chance to survey the area so I decided to push it back to late spring/early summer and hit my local trout steam first.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users