Fisheries Cross Country '13

69 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:53 PM

Mid-June: northwestern Oregon

For my last National Rivers and Streams Assessment training session, I headed to Portland, OR. Having never spent time in the Pacific Northwest, I decided to extend my stay so I could explore the area after my work commitments were completed. My colleague, Dave, and I ended up wetting our boots in six different streams during the course of the week. Most of the time, I was in awe of the beauty of the streams and the dramatic backdrops provided throughout the numerous state/national parks and mountain ranges.

On our first day, we arrived in Portland early to set up for the training session to be held the next morning. As Dave and I are both avid fly fishermen, we chose to spend the afternoon in search of coastal cutthroat trout (Oncorhynchus clarkii clarkii). For those not familiar with the coastal cutthroat trout, it is the only anadromous species/sub-species of cutthroat trout. This species can be found in coastal areas from northern California to southern Alaska. As adults, this species lives in estuaries and rarely ventures far into the open ocean. Between January and June (depending on latitude), adults ascend streams (most often their natal stream) to spawn. After spawning, the adults migrate back downstream to the estuary. With a few tips from the staff at a fly shop in Portland, we were off to the lower end of the Wilson River, directly west of Portland. The Wilson River begins in the Northern Oregon Coast Range Mountains, and flows southwest for 33 miles until emptying into the Tillamook Bay of the Pacific Ocean. Much of the river runs through the temperate rain forest of the Tillamook State Forest. The scenic State Route 6 provided views of the huge Douglas fir trees and ferns of the forest, in addition to excellent access to the river. By accessing the lower end of the river (perhaps 10 miles upstream from the mouth), Dave and I were hoping to intercept some hungry coastal cutthroat trout making their way back to Tillamook Bay.

Posted Image

Dave and I waded the river and plied the water in search of trout. Standing on large rocks on the stream banks allowed us to see down into the bottom of the pools; some of which appeared to be well over 10 feet deep. While standing atop one of the large boulders, I noticed a creature stirring in a shallow backwater area. Reaching down, I scooped up a rough-skinned newt (Taricha granulosa):

Posted Image

It appeared to be an adult in its aquatic phase. This newt was likely returning to the water in search of a mate. Wading along the banks, I found five or six more newts in about 100 yards of stream length. After doing a bit or reading about this species (after handling one, as shown in the picture above), I found out they exude a neurotoxin from their skin...luckily, the literature indicates the toxin is only harmful when ingested. Catching newts proved to be a lot easier than catching fish at this spot on the river. The clear waters seemed mostly void of fish, except for a few small fish cruising the shoreline. Out of curiosity, I took a few casts towards the group of small fish. After a few splashy attempts at my dry fly, one of the small fish became hooked. Although not one of the "20 pounders" this river is known for, I was excited to see my first native chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha):

Posted Image

Dave and I waded that stretch of the Wilson River until the sun was low in the sky. I ended up spending more time sitting along the bank, watching the river, and listening to the sounds of the forest than fishing. During our short walk back to the car, we spied a park of elk on the side of the hill, approximately 60-70 yards from the car...my first elk sighting, and a pleasant end to the day. Although we didn't capture the coastal cutthroat trout we were after, we didn't let it dampen our spirits, as we knew we had the rest of the week ahead, and had a great first day in the Pacific Northwest.

#42 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:18 PM

Mid-June: northwestern Oregon (continued...)

The next day, I trained crews in the methods for assessing stream habitat at boatable streams. We used the Tualatin River as our field training site. The Tualatin River is a tributary to the lower Willamette River located southwest of Portland. The waters of the Willamette River feed the Columbia River, which acts as the natural divide between Oregon and Washington. See the map below (borrowed from wikipedia) for a better idea of the location these rivers:

Posted Image

The Tualatin River begins on the east side of the Northern Oregon Coast Range Mountains and has a very high gradient for the first 12 miles of its 83 mile course. In this beginning 12 mile stretch, the streambed drops 1,800 feet in elevation. After that 12 miles, the stream enters the Tualatin Valley and Willamette Valley and only drops 250 feet in the remaining 71 miles. The section of the stream we visited was within the valley section where the river is of relatively low gradient.

Posted Image

After talking with the regional fisheries biologists at the training session, I learned many species from the Eastern U.S. have been introduced into this river system. In fact, in many places in this river, you're more likely to encounter introduced species than natives. While I was out on one boat letting crews practice the habitat assessment methods, another crew was on the river electrofishing. I wasn't with them when they looked through their catch, but they told me they captured: common carp (Cyprinus carpio), redside shiner (Richardsonius balteatus), northern pikeminnow (Ptychocheilus oregonensis), largescale sucker (Catostomus macrocheilus), largemouth bass (Micropterus salmoides), and yellow perch (Perca flavescens). Knowing I would be interested, they held onto a northern pikeminnow and largescale sucker for me to see. The northern pikeminnow was about 15" long, and the largescale sucker was about the same size. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me, as I would have liked to capture a photo of each of those species. When researching a bit about the largescale sucker later, I came across this video on Vimeo:

http://vimeo.com/65355248

Somehow, I haven't seen the snorkeling videos produced by user, River_Snorkel. He seems to have a large collection of underwater videos of fishes from the Pacific Northwest. I'm looking forward to watching the rest of his videos when I return home (the internet connection at this hotel is slowwww).

At the end of the day, one of the biologists gave Dave and I a recommendation about a stream to visit near the Bonneville Dam on the Columbia River. He promised us that it would be an "unforgettable experience". I'll write about that short trip when I can find another spare moment.

#43 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:22 PM

I'll be visiting Portland in two weeks, maybe we'll swing through those areas...

#44 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:02 PM

I'll be visiting Portland in two weeks, maybe we'll swing through those areas...

I don't know that I can endorse a trip to the Taulatin River. The Wilson River might be worth a visit though. I visited four other streams when I was out there, two of which (Tanner Creek and Metolius River) might be the most enjoyable streams I've ever met...

#45 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:14 PM

After finishing up work for the day, Dave and I hopped in the car and headed east from Portland. One of the biologists told us that a trip to Tanner Creek would be well worth the 30 mile drive. After escaping the rush hour drive through Portland, we headed east along I-84. The road hugs the Columbia River, as the river passes through the Columbia River Gorge. I don't know that I've ever taken a more scenic route anywhere! The Columbia River Gorge Scenic Area has 77 waterfalls on the Oregon side alone! For more information about the Columbia River Gorge Scenic Area, visit this website: http://www.historict..._waterfalls.htm

My favorite among the waterfalls along the interstate was the 620' waterfall on Multnomah Creek:

Posted Image

Although I could have stayed and admired the waterfall all afternoon, daylight was beginning to fade, so Dave and I forged on to find Tanner Creek. Tanner Creek flows from Tanner Spring on the southwest side of Tanner Butte, approximately 10 miles west of Mount Hood (Oregon's highest mountain). The creek tumbles northward down mountainsides until emptying into the Columbia River, just downstream of the historic Bonneville Dam. Near the mouth of the creek, the Bonneville Fish Hatchery (built in 1909) pulls water from Tanner Creek for use in rearing ponds for salmon, trout, and white sturgeon (Acipenser transmontanus) - I read that one of the sturgeon on display is over 70 years old and is over 10' in length... Dave and I parked near the mouth of the creek and hiked our way upstream:

Posted Image

Every turn of the creek looked just as enticing as the next, so we finally settled on a spot to start fishing:

Posted Image

Within the first few casts, it became apparent these fish don't encounter a lot of "free meals". Our dry flies were eagerly accepted by a Columbia River redband trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss gairdnerii) behind just about every rock:

Posted Image

These beautiful trout were plentiful in the stream, and I quickly caught about a dozen without much effort. The simplicity of the fishing allowed me to spend more time focusing on the stream surroundings:

Posted Image

Although native to Europe, the 6' tall common foxglove (Digitalis purpurea) was a sight to behold on the gravel bars in this stream:

Posted Image

As the steep mountain walls began to block out the last few rays of the sun, I caught my biggest Columbia River redband trout of the evening:

Posted Image

The fish was probably only 8" long, but the coloration of the fish in the clear water (especially the flush of orange/red on its belly), and the beauty of my surroundings are something I'll remember for a long time. After a short hike back in the dark, we drove back to Portland to begin the wadeable training sessions the next day.

#46 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:23 PM

Wow, really beautiful waterfall and stream (nice fish too). Makes me want to visit that area someday.

#47 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:47 AM

Yeah, my first thought was to head up the Gorge from Portland. That plan is now reinforced.

#48 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2014 - 04:11 PM

Wow, really beautiful waterfall and stream (nice fish too). Makes me want to visit that area someday.

Yeah, I count myself lucky to have been a visitor.

Yeah, my first thought was to head up the Gorge from Portland. That plan is now reinforced.

Glad I could help. Might I ask what brings you to the area?

#49 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:43 PM

The next day, we headed west about 30 miles to a wadeable stream in the upper Taulatin River drainage for another day of NRSA training. Our group met near Gales Creek Campground, just off State Route 6. The campground runs along Gales Creek, approximately 4 miles downstream from its source on the north side of Round Top Mountain. The stream falls approximately 2,233 feet throughout its 23.5 mile course. The section near the campground was of high gradient, had well defined pools, runs, and riffles, and a densely forested floodplain:

Posted Image

Again, my focus during this training session was habitat assessment, so I didn't have a chance to run the electrofishing backpack at this spot. After the training was over for the day, Dave and I decided to hang around and see if we could find one of the coastal cutthroat trout we were after. One of the biologists suggested we might find decent sized trout a few miles downstream of the campground, so we headed there with high hopes.

In the first few pools, we caught a handful of trout that looked like this:

Posted Image

I'm hesitant to call them "stream form" coastal cutthroat trout (Oncorhynchus clarkii clarkii). This stream also has native coastal rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss irideus) and was possibly stocked with some other strain of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) at some point. So, there's a chance this fish is a "cuttbow", which is a cross between the coastal cutthroat trout and the rainbow trout. I've never seen a cuttbow, but I'm told they're rather common in the area. Maybe someone more familiar with these species and their hybrids could chime in?

After catching a good number of those, I found a bend of the stream at which a riffle dumped into a pool that was about 5 or 6 feet deep. I cast my dry fly into the riffle and followed the fly until it met the pool. I saw a flash, and my line went taught. This fish fought a little different than the small trout I had been battling earlier in the day. This one went on a few short runs, and stayed down for a while. I was able to beach the trout and snap a picture:

Posted Image

The size of the fish (approx. 14" or more), the silver coloration, and the very faint orange "slash marks" on its throat indicated I had finally landed my first "sea-run" coastal cutthroat trout! After releasing the fish back into the pool, I let Dave fish the next few pools until he too landed a "sea-run" of similar size. It's funny how catching your target species enables you to slow down and take in your surroundings more. Instead of trying to fool trout, I spent more time looking at the streamside creatures and vegetation. Creeping along the shoreline were numerous 4-5" long banana slugs (Ariolimax sp.) - by far the biggest slugs I've ever seen:

Posted Image

While wading around the stream a bit more, I caught a few trout that resembled young coastal rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss irideus):

Posted Image

These fish lacked "slash marks" under the jaw and seemed to have larger eyes and shorter snouts than the cutthroats I had been catching. Some of the smaller coastal cutthroat trout had spots and marking that could rival the beauty of any of our native fishes:

Posted Image

Dave and I enjoyed this stream so much, we waded a bit further away from the car than we should have. We thought we turned back with enough daylight, but we still ended up hiking a mile or two of stream in the dark. I'm pretty sure I ended up slipping and falling on my butt at least four times in the dark on those slick rocks. I now own a very good headlamp and keep it in my gear bag at all times ;)

The next day, Dave and I had reserved for heading in-land and visiting a stream considered a "must see" by all the biologists at the training. More on that in a bit.

#50 Guest_rootsman_*

Guest_rootsman_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:28 PM

These are my home waters, feel free to drop me a line if you need some local info.

Jeff

#51 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:30 PM

Thanks, I'll see how our schedule breaks; it's one of those trips where I really don't know what's gonna happen.

#52 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:03 AM

I found a picture I had taken with my phone of the sea-run coastal cutthroat trout that I thought came out very well for a camera phone pic:

Posted Image

Just thought I'd share that one too. ;)

#53 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:11 PM

Mid-June: central Oregon

When Dave and I asked the biologists at the training sessions where they would go in Oregon if they had just one day to go play in the woods, almost all of them said, "The Metolius River." Dave and I made the 2.5 hour drive southeast to central Oregon in search of this National Wild and Scenic River. The Metolius River springs up near the base of Black Butte (extinct volcano) and carves through steep gorges in the Deschutes National Forest prior to joining the Deschutes River in Lake Billy Chinook. The Deschutes then flows northward to the Columbia River, draining a large portion east of the Cascade Mountains in Oregon. See the map below for a location map of the Metolius River in the Deschutes River watershed. This map was borrowed from the Oregon Department of Land Conservation and Development website:

Posted Image

Dave and I were drawn to the banks of the Deschutes because we were told the scenery would be unforgettable and because the river harbors one of the few decent populations of bull trout (Salvelinus confluentus) in the lower 48 states. As we drove from Portland to the upper portion of the Metolius River near the town of Camp Sherman, we ascended into the Cascade Mountain Range. The winding roads passed through one scenic outlook after another. As we traveled further up the range, the air temperature dropped about 15*F. Pleasant temperatures in Portland transitioned into borderline chilly temperatures as we slipped into our waders and stepped foot in the Metolius. We were greeted by swift, clear water and a beautiful ponderosa pine forested landscape on all sides:

Posted Image

Dave noticed some large mayflies mating and falling into the water. After finding a dry fly pattern in his fly box of roughly the same size and color of the mayflies, he quickly plucked a colorful 16" rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss sp.) from the group of feeding trout below the riffle. I had my mind set on larger quarry. I tossed on a large sculpin streamer fly pattern and swung it through the deeper parts of the riffles in search of bull trout. After casting for about a half hour at this location and not catching another fish, we climbed onto the bank and headed downstream. The stream banks were lined with a variety of wildflowers, many of which were new to me. The indian paintbrush (Castilleja affinis) could be found all along the river:

Posted Image

Each bend of the river looked more enticing than the last. The water took on a cerulean hue in the bright sunlight:

http://vimeo.com/89208136

The only other places I've seen fresh water this shade of blue has been at some of the "blue holes" (springs) in north-central Ohio. The blue waters of the Metolius provided excellent scenery...and very difficult fishing!

Posted Image

Posted Image

^ good luck pulling a fish out of there ;) . Through the better part of the morning and afternoon, Dave and I walked along the Metolius and admired its beauty. While sitting on a log in the river, I did manage one take from a large fish. I swung my large sculpin streamer through a side channel of the river along an undercut bank. The water was clear enough that I could track my olive color streamer near the bottom of the stream in the 10' deep side channel. I saw a large shadow move out from the undercut, grab my streamer (nearly taking the rod out of my hands), and spit it back out as I pulled up to set the hook. One strike all day...and I missed the fish. With scenery like this, who needs fish though?

As Dave and I walked back to the car, we saw signs for the Wizard Falls Fish Hatchery that was said to be along the banks of the river. Since we were nearby, we decided to stop in and see what they were raising. The property at the hatchery was set up like a park and there were many visitors. A few raceways contained various trout species, while one raceway held kokanee salmon (which is a land-locked form of sockeye salmon, Oncorhynchus nerka), and another raceway held Atlantic salmon (still not sure why they were raising those). The raceway I found most interesting was the one containing white sturgeon (Acipenser transmontanus):

Posted Image

It's tough to gauge size from this photo, but these sturgeon were a little over 3' long. The raceway contained four or five sturgeon, and guests were encouraged to interact with the fish. So, I managed a few underwater shots:

Posted Image

Posted Image

After watching the sturgeon swim and feed for about 20 minutes (I was mesmerized), Dave and I hiked back to the car to take a peek at the map and see where the rest of the day might take us.

More on that when I can find a few minutes...

#54 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:36 AM

I was lucky enough to spend several months in Oregon back in my 20s. It is a gorgeous and varied state; you are capturing it to a degree that does it justice. I was on a "fish hiatus" then, much more interested in hiking up the mountains than playing in the water. Thanks for showing me what I missed, as regards the finny beauty. Can't wait to see what's next; the high desert maybe?

PS- I've never seen any kind of sturgeon before; had no idea their fins were so leathery.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#55 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:23 PM

Awesome stuff Nate. You're making me really want to visit the northwest - beautiful scenery and clear water for snorkeling.

#56 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:58 PM

Thanks Nate... you do well sharing your adventures. I much enjoy.

#57 Guest_sschluet_*

Guest_sschluet_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:06 PM

That would be a fun assignment, I see some of Chris Millard's pics on occasion.

#58 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:03 AM

I was lucky enough to spend several months in Oregon back in my 20s. It is a gorgeous and varied state; you are capturing it to a degree that does it justice. I was on a "fish hiatus" then, much more interested in hiking up the mountains than playing in the water. Thanks for showing me what I missed, as regards the finny beauty. Can't wait to see what's next; the high desert maybe?

PS- I've never seen any kind of sturgeon before; had no idea their fins were so leathery.

I'm glad you're enjoying this. I've got plenty of additional trips to mention in this thread. Finding time to do it might be tough.

Awesome stuff Nate. You're making me really want to visit the northwest - beautiful scenery and clear water for snorkeling.

You certainly won't regret it. I'm not sure how turbid the streams get in the spring and early summer when the snow melts. Mid- to late summer is probably your best bet for snorkeling the Northwest.

Thanks Nate... you do well sharing your adventures. I much enjoy.

I'm glad, Casper. Stay tuned for more.

That would be a fun assignment, I see some of Chris Millard's pics on occasion.

It certainly was fun. Chris Millard was at this training in Portland with me. In fact, he kept the northern pikeminnow and largescale sucker off to the side for me to take a look at when he assisted with the fish collection activities.

#59 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2014 - 11:02 AM

Looking back at this thread, it appears I stopped chronicling my adventures once the Polar Vortex released its grip on the Midwest. Now that the weather is cooling down, I've got a bit more time.

I'll pick back up in central Oregon, in the Willamette National Forest...

Mid-June: central Oregon

Dave and I had spent the majority of the day fishing and hiking along the banks of the Metolius River. Although that river remains among the most scenic I've ever visited, the fish were very finicky. Dave and I decided to leave the Metolius River and try fishing a nearby stream where the fish might be less wary. Our map brought us to Marion Creek near the town of Marion Forks. The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife operates a fish hatchery near the town of Marion Forks (http://www.dfw.state...ks_hatchery.asp), adjacent to the Willamette National Forest Marion Forks Campground.

Marion Creek is a high gradient stream in the upper portions of the Willamette River drainage. The stream tumbles through the Cascade Mountain range and is lined by Douglas-fir, and various cedar, pine, and hemlock species.

Posted Image

The swift flowing water was home to opportunistic coastal cutthroat trout (Oncorhynchus clarki clarki). Dragging a brightly colored dry fly across the deeper portions of the runs and pools resulted in many splashy strikes from these small trout:

http://vimeo.com/90815378

When hiking upstream from pool to pool, I had to be on the lookout for devil's club (Oploplanax horridus). The large, club-shaped leaves and the white clusters of flowers warned of the danger. Accidentally brushing up against one of these native shrubs will leave your skin filled with prickly spines for days to come.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A few of the deeper pools were filled with eager trout. In one such pool I caught 20-30 trout within 30 minutes. Identifying the trout was tricky due to potential hybridization. Some of the trout looked like coastal cutthroat trout (Oncorhynchus clarki clarki):

Posted Image

...while others looked like coastal rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss irideus):

Posted Image

...others, I'm not so sure - hybrids?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

After hiking around Marion Creek for a few hours, and catching more trout than we cared to count, we headed back to Portland to catch a flight back to Ohio the next morning.

I spent the next few days conducting electrofishing surveys back in Ohio...more on that soon.

#60 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2014 - 12:18 PM

Late June: southeastern Ohio

On a break from my duties for the National Rivers and Streams Assessment, I worked with a team of biologists assessing water quality, stream habitat quality, and biological integrity of the fish and macroinvertebrate community in a small stream (Leslie Run) in southeastern Ohio. Leslie Run is a small stream in the Little Beaver Creek watershed. Little Beaver Creek flows through an undeveloped portion of southeastern Ohio prior to entering the Ohio River in Pennsylvania. Little Beaver Creek is designated as a State Wild & Scenic River, and is also recognized as a National Scenic River (http://watercraft.oh.../littlebeaversr).

Much of Leslie Run drains an agricultural and residential landscape, although some forested areas still remain along the stream:

Posted Image

During a few days of electrofishing various sections of Leslie Run, we encountered:

Central stoneroller (Campostoma anomalum)
Striped shiner (Luxilus chrysocephalus)
Bluntnose minnow (Pimephales notatus)
Western blacknose dace (Rhinichthys obtusus)
Creek chub (Semotilus atratulus)
River chub (Nocomis micropogon) - only one found despite extensive sampling. They're common in Little Beaver Creek downstream.
Rosyface shiner (Notropis rubellus)
White sucker (Catostomus commersonii)
Northern hogsucker (Hypentelium nigricans)
Black redhorse (Moxostoma duquesnei) - one young-of-year found, suitable habitat in this stream may serve as nursery habitat for this species.
Grass pickerel (Esox americanus vermiculatus)
Yellow bullhead (Ameiurus natalis)
Green sunfish (Lepomis cyanellus)
Pumpkinseed sunfish (Lepomis gibbosus)
Bluegill sunfish (Lepomis macrochirus)
Largemouth bass (Micropterus salmoides)
Black crappie (Pomoxis nigromaculatus)
Rainbow darter (Etheostoma caeruleum)
Fantail darter (Etheostoma flabellare)
Greensider darter (Etheostoma blennioides)
Mottled sculpin (Cottus bairdii) - riffles throughout this stream were filled with hundreds of these
Posted Image

A total of 21 species were encountered in this small stream. The data gathered was used in reports submitted for permitting requirements.F

From here, I packed my bags and traveled to northeastern Indiana to join a field crew working on the National Rivers and Streams Assessment. More on that later.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users