Baby Sun fish feed

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Vandee_*

Guest_Vandee_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:41 PM

I have set up a 75g planted tank for some sunfish, I've had the tank a week, letting the plants grow and still getting it set up the way i want it. I got bored looking at an empty tank so I went to pet-co to pick up a snail so at least there would be something moving around. I had a look in the feeder tank while i was there and notice 3 little sunfish! and for $.25 each how could I not pick them up. Now that I've got them home, I need to know what to feed these little guys they are half an inch tops. I didn't really see any pellets or flakes that would be small enough for them at pet-co. thanks

#2 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:20 PM

First show a picture of the little guys. Regardless of species, a fry feed can be used if they will eat it. If they don't recognize such as feed at first, then they at least need to be in good flesh before beginning the feed training process. Otherwise start with live or freeze dried food.

#3 Guest_Vandee_*

Guest_Vandee_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:27 PM

I will get some pics up as soon as I can, I went Ice fishing earlier today and dropped the phone right down the hole.

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:45 PM

Frozen brine shrimp... one cube thawed in a little bit of water... introduced softly to the surface of the water near the filter outflow... the thawed bring shrimp have a "food shape" and "food smell" that most fish seem to recognize.

Now this will mean that you are going to spend $5 to feed some $0.25 fish... but isn't that part of the fun?
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 Guest_Vandee_*

Guest_Vandee_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:04 PM

I took your advice and got them on some frozen brine shrimp, they have now grown quite a bit and I have identified them as Green sunfish. I also ordered them some more tank buddies.I now have 3 greens, 2 longear, 2 warmouth one may be stunted it hasnt grown much since I got it, and 1 pumpkinseed who is the big boss in the tank and quite colorful. he is one of the coolest looking fish I've seen. I've been a sunfish and bass fisherman since i was a child and always wanted a native fish tank I now have one and am loving it! here is a quick vid of the tank.

I know the plants are not Natives but I got impatient. Maybe when these guys get too big for the 75 ill have to get a 125 or 150 and set it up with native plants and the like!

#6 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:03 PM

They are definitely all Lepomis wellfedae.
Nick L.

#7 Guest_Vandee_*

Guest_Vandee_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:48 PM

Yeah the vid was shot right after a feeding. During the week I only have time to feed the once a day so they get quite a bit at once, on the weekends I feed in the morning and at night.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users