New to Natives - Possible 55 Gallon Sunfish Setup

44 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Blaze85_*

Guest_Blaze85_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:41 PM

I am new to native fish and am looking at getting a 55 gallon started. I am from Minnesota and would love to get sunfish native to this area if possible. That being said, I also want to make sure that the tank is big enough not only to house the fish, but to give them enough space. I really like bluegills but know they get too big to keep in a 55. I also like greens, but have seen mixed comments on if they would be happy in a 55 and I really want to have more than a few fish in the tank. I am leaning on orange spotted (not sure if they are native to MN), but am wondering how many you would put in the tank? Could you mix a few greens and orange spotted together? Sorry if you have answered this question before, I can't seem to find exactly what I am looking for.

What would you recommend for me? Thanks for the help.

#2 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:44 PM

Hello Blaze! I am also from MN and have experience with all of the fish you mentioned. 55 gallon tanks are not ideal for sunfish, or any fish in my opinion, really. The height is wasted space for the most part. If you already have the tank, though, Orangespotteds are definitely MN native and do quite well in tanks. There's a large population in Albert Lea that I'd happily show you this Summer.

#3 Guest_Blaze85_*

Guest_Blaze85_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:48 PM

Hello Blaze! I am also from MN and have experience with all of the fish you mentioned. 55 gallon tanks are not ideal for sunfish, or any fish in my opinion, really. The height is wasted space for the most part. If you already have the tank, though, Orangespotteds are definitely MN native and do quite well in tanks. There's a large population in Albert Lea that I'd happily show you this Summer.

Thank you for the reply. I don't have the tank yet so I am curious as to what size tank you would recommend? I was thinking about a 55 because the area that I want to put it is only about 14 inches wide so would hold a 55 nicely. Even if I went to a 75, aren't they the same height as a 55?

#4 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:06 PM

OrangeSpots are smaller and much less aggressive than other Lepomis species. A half dozen could get along nicely in a 55. I had 8 in a 75 along with a bunch of Highland Swordtails and the only time there was ever an issue was when the Sunfish spawned. The dominant male Swordtail found out the Sunfish were up to that point just humoring him when he bullied them.

#5 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:55 PM

Yeah, if you only have 14", you may as well go with a 55. I personally don't like them because they don't have a ton of usable space compared to say, a 40 Breeder, but as you figured out, a 55 would be your best bet in that space.

#6 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:46 PM

I know you are talking about sunfish, but I just have to through it out there... have you thought about a stream tank? Nocomis Chubs, Notropis Shiners, Cyprinella Shiners, make for an active and relatively easy tank to maintain.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#7 Guest_Erica Lyons_*

Guest_Erica Lyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:14 PM

Or a 55 gallon pygmy sunfish tank. *cackles*

#8 Guest_Blaze85_*

Guest_Blaze85_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:21 PM

I know you are talking about sunfish, but I just have to through it out there... have you thought about a stream tank? Nocomis Chubs, Notropis Shiners, Cyprinella Shiners, make for an active and relatively easy tank to maintain.

I am a big catch and release bass fisherman and like to take my son out fishing for sunnies so really wanted something I could relate to. I guess that is why I was leaning towards some sun fish. I will definitely do some research on these species though. Thanks for the suggestion.

#9 Guest_Blaze85_*

Guest_Blaze85_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:30 PM

Or a 55 gallon pygmy sunfish tank. *cackles*

I have seen you posting about this. Do any have a similar look to say a green sunfish? And how is there personality compared to a green or a orange?

#10 Guest_Erica Lyons_*

Guest_Erica Lyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:47 PM

I have seen you posting about this. Do any have a similar look to say a green sunfish? And how is there personality compared to a green or a orange?

They're one inch maximum fish that are very 'shy' (the wild caught ones hide when they see a human, but captive bred ones can be taught to associate us with food).

Here are some pictures of elassoma gilberti, the gulf coast pygmy sunfish. That scale bar is centimeters, not inches.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

But it's really their behavior that makes them interesting.
Here is a male wooing a female into his plant territory to spawn.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS15coehSfM

They guard territory, you see. Guarding:
youtube.com/watch?v=BTjgRWdxgnE
youtube.com/watch?v=LcjnzAU8R-o

After spawning, they'll chase females away from their territory.
youtube.com/watch?v=wkJIUYIsDrQ

I like them. They're crazy little fish.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nLJ2JYDJZs

#11 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:31 AM

Pygmies = Green Sunfish! Yes! I love it! Don't listen to Erica, she is biased.

#12 Guest_AMcCaleb_*

Guest_AMcCaleb_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:51 AM

I've got two 75 gallon tanks running right now with natives. One has minnows (shiners, daces, darters) and the other has some longear sunfish and creek chubs. I'm not sure which one I like more. I've got videos of both if you want to check them out.

#13 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:51 AM

Well I certainly know which one I like better... you cannot beat minnows and darters... action, diversity, discovery... that is what native fish are all about.

Although I will say you are doing a great job with your creek chubs... housing them with fish that are too big for them to eat... they are growing out nicely and one or two are beginning to get those gold spangles that they will get as they get up to size. I don't often see that in the wild (creek chubs usually look so bland when you see them in the seine), but I have seen it before in an aquarium setting and they really begin to look cool as they get gold spangles over most of their backs. They make a great contrast to the sunfish!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#14 Guest_AMcCaleb_*

Guest_AMcCaleb_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:21 PM

I'll say this about the sunfish tank too, it's a lot of work to keep clean. They are messy eaters and they like to kick up the sand a lot. If you get sunfish get a really large filter.

Day5FishTanks. Any other native YouTubers on here?

#15 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:01 AM

Oh, one other thing... why is there a heater in that tank... and why is it on? All of those fish would prefer room temperature or less.

#16 Guest_AMcCaleb_*

Guest_AMcCaleb_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:10 AM

That tank is in my basement which has some serious temperature swings in the winter time. I just have the heater in there to keep the temp consistent. I know the fish can handle the lower temps but regardless daily temperature swings will stress any fish out.

#17 Guest_Blaze85_*

Guest_Blaze85_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2014 - 03:10 PM

I'll say this about the sunfish tank too, it's a lot of work to keep clean. They are messy eaters and they like to kick up the sand a lot. If you get sunfish get a really large filter.

If I decide to go with the Sunfish then, any recommendations on filters for the 55. I am familiar with HOB filters since that is what I am using on my 29, but am curious what you would recommend.

#18 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:19 PM

Best bang for the buck. http://business.acce...ultimatesponge/

#19 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:24 PM

I know the fish can handle the lower temps but regardless daily temperature swings will stress any fish out

No really they won't. Have you ever measured stream temps during late afternoon versus early morning. Usually it is a pretty wild swing. I get where you are coming from, but in the wild, these fish deal with much harsher and variable conditions.

#20 Guest_AMcCaleb_*

Guest_AMcCaleb_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:25 PM

Thanks for the info. For my own personal peace of mind for both the plants and fish I will keep the heater in there. But, that's good to know.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users