New to Natives - Possible 55 Gallon Sunfish Setup

44 replies to this topic

#41 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:15 PM

Personally, I can't see a reason to keep a fiah in a tank it will be uncomfortable in, especially when there are alternatives that would be much more comfortable yet create the same effect. Also, tanks that small with fish that big tend to not only have water chemistry and gas exchange problems, but they also don't have a very good aesthetic. I had several large sunfish in a 125 gallon and it still looked crowded, especially when you factor in the cover you have to provide for a fish in that situation.

Very good point about creating habitat... most of us are actually not trying to keep a pet in a cage (a glass with water in it cage)... what we are all really trying to do is to create a little piece of the wild in our otherwise controlled world (heck, some of us are maybe even trying to control the wild a bit by bringing it inside, but that is too psychological for a fish forum).

But if creating a little bit of the stream/pond is your goal, then you need to add all the other elements, habitat, etc... and you need to recreate the scale and relationship between the habitat and the inhabitants.

Great thought there Yeahson
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#42 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:27 PM

I'm confused now. Not on what you guys were just saying but that on my thread people said 1 pumpkinseed AND 3 creek chubs could work in my 55 and people on this thread are saying not even a pumpkinseed. This is making my head spin.

Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#43 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:02 PM

the lesson here is to only post your question once... :biggrin:

an old proverb... a man with one watch knows what time it is, a man with two watches is never really sure
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#44 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:16 AM

Any of the options you've been considering will be fine. You've done your due diligence by asking questions, now the only left is to try something out and see how it goes.

#45 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:43 AM

You could put a pumpkinseed andthree chubs in a 55, but would you be able to observe natural behavior? Would you have a serenely beautiful tank? Would you have comfortable fish? Would you be able to go without daily or weekly maintenance, water chamges, and filter cleanings? All of those would be answered by "probably not". It depends on what you want from your tank. A glass box with the most fish possible, or a slice of natural habitat.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users