Photo

Early season sunnie warmup

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:43 PM

There is a stream that runs through Greenwood, SC that has caught my eye since we moved to the area. Rocky Creek runs right next to the main road through town, behind the mall, and through other urbanized areas. Much of it is dredged, channelized and otherwise abused. But a couple sections, including immediately downstream from the mall, look like they might not be too bad off. The stream is to the right of the photo, just inside the trees.

Attached File  DSCF3870.JPG   242.41KB   2 downloads

Finally got to hitting it today, and was amazed at the fish. Not top notch diversity, but the bioload for such a small crick was unexpected. Will do a report on it sometime when I have better pics. Suffice to say I couldn't swing a dead Ictalurid without hitting a Lepomis. Many were easy to id, but maybe you can help me with the following...

Redbreast, L. auritus, right?

Attached File  DSCF3872.JPG   56.52KB   3 downloads

I forget, what species does this dark black dorsal fin base with red upper indicate?

Attached File  DSCF3875.JPG   60.72KB   2 downloads

This one looks like a dollar to me, L. marginatus, in the mouth/head region. But they'd be very unlikely here. Who do you think it is? Funky-lookin' pseed?

Attached File  DSCF3880.JPG   59.64KB   1 downloads

They're probably all redbreast, aren't they?
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#2 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:57 PM

Yessir. You're right - all redbreasts.

#3 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:18 AM

Agree with Will. All redbreasts.

#4 Guest_cyfan964_*

Guest_cyfan964_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:21 AM

I'm so jealous. We just got an additional 6" of snow this weekend and I'm not sure Spring will ever come. The frost levels around here are supposedly 48" thick :/.

#5 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:12 PM

Matt, I like your conversational post. "These look like dollar sunfish... This looks like it could be a funky pumpkinseed... They're are redbreasts, aren't they?" This made me laugh. I never really pointed out WHY they are redbreasts and not the other species you mentioned. That's how you learn, after all. If you look at all of the fish you posted, check out those orange spots. They aren't o-spotted sunfish, and the spots are not large enough, distint enough, and clearly separated like a pumpkinseed. Those orange spots are small and are more like "freckles" than spots. These freckles are a tell-tale sign of redbreasts, even in fish <2''. That red margin on the soft dorsal fin that you pointed out (and on the upper ad lower portion of the caudal fin) is pretty common in males.

#6 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:54 PM

Thanks for the diagnostic tips, Will. That first one I was pretty sure on, but not convinced. I will be remembering that red/black dorsal fin from here on out, as well as the "freckle" description; very useful knowledge to have. The fish had me puzzled. It shared the orange freckles of the first two, but not the fin coloration. It's face also didn't seem quite as rounded as other redbreasts. Is it likely a female? It seems funny that I can't recall ever seeing the one redbreast diagnostic always pointed out- the long opercular lobe. Maybe because I usually see this species in small cricks, where they're stunted? Glad you like the conversational tone. I certainly haven't a knack for scientific-type talk...

Cyfan, if it makes you feel any better, I'm a Mountaineer, and your boys put the last nail in our gridders' coffin this past season, and made it feel like FALL will never get here. Can't wait to wash the taste of '13 out of my mouth!
Matt Knepley

#7 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:51 PM

Another redbreast feature that all 3 of your fish show is 2 light-colored horizontal stripes, 1 above and 1 below a dark horizontal stripe at the end of the opercle and perhaps slightly onto the ear flap. I think Casper pointed this out to me.

#8 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:25 AM

Yeah they all look like Redbreasts to me... but i get cautious when visiting beyond my region. And when all Sunnies are small it can be extra tough to ID and then you have all that hybrid potential to really confuse you.
I really do not have a good eye for ID on many fish but something i always look at, regarding Sunfish, is the ear. Longears and Dollars are trimmed in white... but Greens are as well but not as sharply. ( Body shape will tell you Green as they are Bass like and a major predator. ) Longear ears are solid black within the white edge trimming and Dollars have some blue spangling on the black ear. Redear / Shellcrackers have a flash of red at the tip of the ear flap, hence the name. Redbreasts have a slash / run of white along the top and bottom of the ear starting at its origin and it does not "round the end" as a longear does. ( All your fuzzy pictures show this! ) Bluegill, not sure about their ears but they always have that dark shadow spot at the rear of the dorsal fin.

Longears vs Redbreasts... oddly often the Redbreasts have longer ears. And those Longear ears come in all kinds of shapes. I had a nice king male in the cement pond and i called him "Short Ear" cause they were so stubby.

Always learning.

Redbreasts seem to be my most common creek Sunfish round here.

#9 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:27 AM

Thanks for the ear flap help, Isaac and Casper. I was trying to use those as a guide,too, but just wasn't putting it together at home or in the field for some reason. Maybe I was trying too hard. There were a ton of sunfish there, bluegills and redbreasts. The bluegill are distinctive and no trouble. Several of the redbreast were easy, but a couple just seemed off. Didn't know if they might be another species, hybrids, or something else. Those pics certainly were border-line usable at best. Thanks for working with them!
Matt Knepley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users