Shark ID- Spinner or Blacktip?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FishyJackson_*

Guest_FishyJackson_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:42 AM

Caught in Sarasota, Florida. We caught 20+ small Blacktip Sharks off the beach, then I caught this bigger shark that had far more pronounced Blacktips on it's fins. Similarly sized Blacktips I've caught had very faint Black tips. I realized after we released it that the best way to tell the difference is that Spinner's have a black tip on the Anal fin, and unfortunately my hand is covering the Anal fin in every picture. Can you experts identify this Shark using another method?

Attached File  IMG_12961.JPG   119.06KB   5 downloads

Attached File  IMG_12951.JPG   138.05KB   2 downloads

#2 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:31 AM

Dorsal looks to be set back too far to be a Blacktip, and the anal has a black tip. Spinner.

#3 Guest_FishyJackson_*

Guest_FishyJackson_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:58 AM

thanks for reply subrosa...I thought my hand was covering the anal fin tho, no? Isnt that exposed fin at the bottom the pelvic fin?

#4 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:27 AM

You are correct sir, I shouldn't post while in that condition!

#5 Guest_FishyJackson_*

Guest_FishyJackson_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:31 AM

You are correct sir, I shouldn't post while in that condition!

no worries Subrosa! I was literally just about to post another pic I found of this Shark, posting it now

#6 Guest_FishyJackson_*

Guest_FishyJackson_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:34 AM

It turns out I have another pic of this Shark that shows the Anal fin. It doesnt appear to have the Black tip, so I guess this is jsut another Blacktip Shark?

If so, I dont understand why the black on the fins is so much more pronounced than the other 20+ Blacktips we caught. I thought I read that Blacktip Sharks fins' actually fade more as they get bigger.

Here's the other pic

Attached Files

#7 Guest_FishyJackson_*

Guest_FishyJackson_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:51 PM

also was hoping for an official ID on this Sting Ray we caught in the same spot, thanks in advance if anyone can tell

Attached Files

#8 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:46 AM

appears to be a southern stingray

#9 Guest_FishyJackson_*

Guest_FishyJackson_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:36 PM

Southern Stingray it is...thanks Fritz. For the record, do you think that Shark is officially a Blacktip?

#10 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:39 PM

I think it's a blacktip but I forwarded the photo to the shark expert at NC Div Marine Fisheries but have not heard back from him yet

#11 Guest_FishyJackson_*

Guest_FishyJackson_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:15 PM

Thanks for sending to the expert Fritz, you're right probaby just a blacktip but maybe the NC Shark Wizard will see it as a Spinner

#12 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:56 PM

from my expert: I’m leaning towards blacktip based on the following: dorsal fin size and origin (second photo looks as if the origin is slightly over or behind pectoral insertion – free rear tip of pectorals), and the tips appear more diffuse than a spinner. Spinner has a smaller dorsal fin originating over or just behind free rear tips of pectoral, and lower caudal black tip would be more crisp and abrupt. The anal fin is almost enough to see no black tip origin, but difficult

#13 Guest_FishyJackson_*

Guest_FishyJackson_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:26 AM

Cool thanks for getting the expert Fritz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users