Redfin Pickerel

15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Blaze85_*

Guest_Blaze85_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:23 AM

Has anyone successfully kept a Redfin Pickerel in a tank with sunfish? How did it work out? What sunfish were in the tank? My wife and I are going to do a native sunfish tank (75 gallon) and were going to just do native MN fish, but she really likes the look of the Redfin. Anyone have any advice? Is this a terrible idea? Can they even thrive in a 75 gallon tank?

#2 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:16 AM

Welll, since you posted earlier that you would be having Orangespotteds, I don't think it is the greatest idea. I believe your O-spots will be eaten.

#3 Guest_Blaze85_*

Guest_Blaze85_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:59 AM

Welll, since you posted earlier that you would be having Orangespotteds, I don't think it is the greatest idea. I believe your O-spots will be eaten.

Figured that might happen, but what if I took them out of the equation? What If we changed it to Redbreasts, and Longears?

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:00 AM

Yes a Redfin pickerel can thrive in a 75 gallon tank.

Can anything else at the same time also thrive? That is a question to ponder. I would guess that it could be done if everyone is the right size. But it would not be easy or a good thing to try as your first native tank.

Pickerel are actually shy ambush predators. They will lurk and hide. Maybe even more with some large sunfish around(and they will have to be large because otherwise they will be lunch). This is not the kind of tension I want in a fish tank.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 Guest_nickag9_*

Guest_nickag9_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:19 AM

While I don't have any personal experience with Redfin Pickerel, I have been doing a ridiculous amount of research on them lately. I'm planning on setting up a 120 gallon (4' x 2' x 2') or a 150 gallon tall (4' x 2' x 2.5') native tank sometime later this summer and the goal is to keep two or three Grass Pickerel. With that said, I agree with what has already been stated in this thread, especially that O-Spots would most likely get eaten in a 75 gallon tank with a Pickerel. I also agree that most, if not all, sunfish species are going to be too aggressive at feeding (or breeding) time to be kept with a Pickerel. I've also read about instances where sunfish have mistaken the red fins of the Pickerel for food and nipped at them until they were basically gone which can ultimately kill the fish.

As for tank mates, based on the research I've done so far I think your best bet would be Black Crappie or Yellow Perch. While I don't think you would have any trouble keeping Perch in a 75 gallon for life, keeping a Black Crappie could get interesting, especially if you have more than one. I know they can grow to lengths of 15-17 inches in the wild so an 18" deep aquarium might not be the best size for life. Also, as you can imagine if you introduce them after the Pickerel is already in the tank and they are too small they could very well end up as food. Having read too many stories about Pickerel basically eating themselves to death when given the chance I would recommend establishing the other tank mates first and introducing the Pickerel when he is the same size or even a bit smaller than the other fish in the tank. I can't guarantee this won't result in a missing fish or two but I'd imagine it would help. Either way, keep us updated if you decide to go with a Pickerel because I'd love to get more insight and advice before I setup my tank.

Edited by nickag9, 13 March 2014 - 11:21 AM.

#6 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:47 AM

I've got it; Redfin Pickerel and Flier. A Flier is pretty a smaller Crappie, but similarly tempered, and slow moving as to not frighten the Pickerel. You could make a beautiful swamp biotope.

#7 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:24 PM

Fliers are a fun idea... little guys look like this
Posted Image

and this is the biggest one I ever saw...
Posted Image

and you are right, they are pretty mild mannered...if you could keep the sizes just right, it would make a very interesting tank...

Love that Okefenokee Swamp!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#8 Guest_nickag9_*

Guest_nickag9_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:56 PM

I know the OP said he was trying to keep in a native MN tank so my question would be, do you already have the 75 gallon or would you be open to purchasing a larger tank? With a deeper footprint your could easily try to keep Redfin Pickerel and Crappie in the same tank.

#9 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:08 PM

He already has the tank, and with the Redfin Pickerel and Redbreast Sunfish he's already drifted from MN native. Why not do an Okefenokee biotope?

#10 Guest_Blaze85_*

Guest_Blaze85_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:20 PM

He already has the tank, and with the Redfin Pickerel and Redbreast Sunfish he's already drifted from MN native. Why not do an Okefenokee biotope?

I am just trying to put ideas together. We originally wanted (and may still do) a MN native tank. Then we saw the Redfin so started drifting a little bit. I already have the 75 gallon tank so just trying to put ideas together of what might be the best option to put in it. I hope I am not annoying anyone with my random posts, I am new to this, and won't be getting another tank anytime soon so want to do this one right.

#11 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:24 PM

Are you set on having such large fish? Did you see the video the other day of the "grumpy spot fin " I think he called it. What a great community tank with color and action. If I could only have one tank it wold be a shiner chub darter stream tank.

#12 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:40 PM

A 12" Redfin or Grass Pickerel would be extremely hard pressed to swallow a 3" OrangeSpot. If the Pickerel even gets 12".

#13 Guest_nickag9_*

Guest_nickag9_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:41 PM

A 12" Redfin or Grass Pickerel would be extremely hard pressed to swallow a 3" OrangeSpot. If the Pickerel even gets 12".

Just because he can't swallow it doesn't mean he won't try to. I'd see him killing it for sure, especially in a confined space.

#14 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:50 PM

Also, I tend to see a lot of O-spots closer to two inches than three.

#15 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:32 PM

Having kept both Orange Spots and a Redfin at different times I wouldn't hesitate to put a Redfin in a tank of adult Orange Spots. Don't let those teeth on the Pickerel fool you.

#16 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:53 PM

I had a small redfin about 5 inches and a nice male banded sunfish about 2.5 fat inches they would face off over feeder guppies or fatheads. Till one day found the pickerel dead with the banded dead in his mouth. They were well fed I was surprised.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users