Photo

Some happy, some sad...

7 replies to this topic

#1 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:04 PM

Snuck in a pair of quick trips to the streams today. One was fruitful; the other discouraging. I always take the bad news before the good, and that's how I'll deliver this...

After picking up the kids from school we traveled into Greenwood, SC to hike on the newly discovered (by us) Rock Creek Trail. It wanders along, roughly parallel to Rock Creek in a very developed stretch of town. I had reasons to look forward to the visit. First, it was time out with my kids. Second, it'd be a chance to explore a new stretch of water. Third, numerous bird species and deer inhabited this sliver of forest. Fourth, less than a mile upstream, in an even more urbanized stretch of the same creek, I had found abundant fish life. Cyprinids, darters, and tons of Lepomis types came to net there. But this stretch was a major disappointment. I tried three or four stretches of water, all with likely looking structure, and got near bupkis. I began to have misgivings about the water we were standing in as there was almost no life of any kind. Only two crayfish. Only one, ONE!, immature insect, a dragonfly nymph. Just one salamander. No frogs. Not even cranefly larvae. And no fish observed. Until the very last moment, when I saw something small and obviously fishy pinballing through a short run in a panic. A couple swipes later and I had a 1/2" Lepomis in net. It looked healthy enough. Then I spotted this finny treasure wedged into some vegetation on the bank.

DSCF3945.JPG

Now this is not the healthiest looking golden shiner one could hope to see, but it wasn't all rigomortised yet and its eye was pretty clear, so I reckon it hadn't been dead too long. I'm thinking maybe a turtle upstream got a shot in on him. I also presume the recent heavy rains washed both these fish downstream to this less hospitable location. I wish that little Lepomis the best of luck. It needs it.

Much more happily, check out the girls in Brightman Creek behind Wesley Commons in Greenwood. If you are a male creek chub or tessellated darter, get your wolf whistles ready,these ladies look hot to trot! (Or, for our more sensitive members, these females appear to be in a most gravid condition and spawning should be presumed imminent.)

DSCF3921.JPG
DSCF3929.JPG
DSCF3937.JPG

I didn't see any signs of nest building though, so maybe Mr. S. atromaculatus isn't in the mood yet. I also finally captured a male Etheostoma olmstedi in complete breeding garb. Not gaudy, like many darter dandies, but impressive all the same. The next generations of tessies looks to be lookers!

The fish weren't as numerous as normal, but so far this spring the numbers of fins in net has proven as inconsistent as the numbers read on the thermometer. That said, I also turned up a couple Notropis chlorocephalus, decent numbers of aquatic nymphs (especially damselfly), larval salamanders, corbicula, and the remains of a mussel I haven't seen in this creek before. Not sure if I've ever seen it before.

DSCF3940.JPG
DSCF3942.JPG

My first guess is eastern floater,Pyganodon cataracta. Actually, Eastern lampmussel, Lampsilis radiate, might be a better guess. Any ideas?
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#2 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:52 PM

Were those sirens in the photo tank with the other fish?

#3 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:47 AM

Were those sirens in the photo tank with the other fish?

Nope, not sirens. Sirens lack hind legs, which all these critters have, although not always the easiest to see in my pictures. I was also out of siren range, I believe. Would love to see a siren sometime, but am happy to "settle" for these guys!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#4 Guest_sbtgrfan_*

Guest_sbtgrfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:52 PM

Sure Matt, blame the turtles, we all know you just got a little hungry for a small snack!

Definitely some fat creek chubs! Water is warming up, should see spawning activity real soon.

#5 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:03 AM

Mussel is a Villosa, possibly V. delumbis. Obviously female - note the big round posterior bulge. Lampsilis, Villosa, and certain other mussels show this sexual dimorphism in shell shape, but the common Elliptios and Corbicula do not. Water quality must be pretty good; Villosa are not especially pollution-tolerant. The 'manders are most likely two-lined, three-lined, and/or dusky larvae. Creek chub nests are not as easy to spot as Nocomis nests. I've rarely seen their nests, even in creeks with LOTS of creek chubs.

#6 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:08 PM

Aren't they really more like a linear trough construction... more of a pit or furrow spawning... not a conical nest like the Nocomis?
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#7 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:16 PM

Aren't they really more like a linear trough construction... more of a pit or furrow spawning... not a conical nest like the Nocomis?

Creek Chubs... yes. At least according to the books.
I cannot say i have ever seen one though.

#8 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:07 AM

Creek Chubs... yes. At least according to the books.
I cannot say i have ever seen one though.

Here's a video from Todd showing the nest building behavior of a creek chub:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a8DtNCHYQM&feature=share&list=PLD48F0848FE631A4B&index=1

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users