Grindal Worms

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#81 Guest_WyRenegade_*

Guest_WyRenegade_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:21 PM

Hey Erica, how soon after the transfer did you start feeding and how long to you let kibble sit before removing it? I removed some moldy kibble after only 4 or 5 days and no worms around the kibble.

#82 Guest_Erica Lyons_*

Guest_Erica Lyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:28 PM

Hey Erica, how soon after the transfer did you start feeding and how long to you let kibble sit before removing it? I removed some moldy kibble after only 4 or 5 days and no worms around the kibble.

It sounds like you need more worms in your initial seeding. You need to put enough worms in the sponges so they'll be visible the next day around a kibble if you add one to the culture the first day. I added one kibble right away, and the next day worms were around it.

A person from my local club was saying the sponge method didn't work and it 'rotted' and I was like, "rotted? What rotted?" Apparently he put like a whole handful of kibbles on. If the worms haven't touched a kibble within a day, remove it and replace it so there's at least one fresh one on there. Mold is worms' enemy. If a kibble has mold, they won't ever touch it.

#83 Guest_WyRenegade_*

Guest_WyRenegade_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:26 AM

Gotcha - ordered some actual cultures now, instead of starter kits, I'll give that a go. Thanks alot.

#84 Guest_Erica Lyons_*

Guest_Erica Lyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:27 AM

Your transfer percentage also matters. The friend I was talking to whose grindal cultures went foul transferred them by hand, one by one. I showed him my video of how I transferred worms from the soil to the sponge and he admitted that that was many many more than he had transferred. Doing it one by one takes so much time, too.

youtu.be/mnp0uudSpKk

#85 plsharevme

plsharevme
  • NANFA Guest
  • Malaysia

Posted 17 September 2018 - 12:34 PM

hello, if this topic still live? now I currently have 4 containers grindal worm.

first containers is buy from started worm and is very well establish but now it almost full of mites 70% mite 30% worm, how i can remove the mites?  

can i just fill the container with full of water and let it 2 or 3 hour to kill those mites?

the second container is spit from above containers it appear also some mites and how can i reduce the amount of mites? it beding is souring pad (hard pad) i use 4 pad and the water level i fill untill 3/4 of the pad it is correct?

the third container i use sponges, i learn from this thread but when i put water untill full cover the bottom sponges it float, how to make it no float? lol, newbie here.

i feed my worm oatmeal just want to ask is organic oat more better? use oat as food will couse grain mites?

is new culture how long to take to well establish conlony? 

thanks

#86 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 17 September 2018 - 02:31 PM

I would try to separate enough worms from the mites (using water) to start a new clean culture, and keep it in a different room where it is less likely to get re-infested.  Destroy all the mite-infested cultures and don't keep anything else that might sustain mites in that room for a few months.  Good luck! 

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#87 plsharevme

plsharevme
  • NANFA Guest
  • Malaysia

Posted Yesterday, 01:34 AM

I would try to separate enough worms from the mites (using water) to start a new clean culture, and keep it in a different room where it is less likely to get re-infested.  Destroy all the mite-infested cultures and don't keep anything else that might sustain mites in that room for a few months.  Good luck! 

thank today I separate worm and mites by water, I think grindal worm culture easy to populate but also very easy destroy by mites, and the mites alway win vs grindal worm. the time I spend with grindals worm more then I spend with my fish. Lols

However how long to take grindals worm from the new colony to establish?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users