Grindal Worms

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#81 Guest_WyRenegade_*

Guest_WyRenegade_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:21 PM

Hey Erica, how soon after the transfer did you start feeding and how long to you let kibble sit before removing it? I removed some moldy kibble after only 4 or 5 days and no worms around the kibble.

#82 Guest_Erica Lyons_*

Guest_Erica Lyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:28 PM

Hey Erica, how soon after the transfer did you start feeding and how long to you let kibble sit before removing it? I removed some moldy kibble after only 4 or 5 days and no worms around the kibble.

It sounds like you need more worms in your initial seeding. You need to put enough worms in the sponges so they'll be visible the next day around a kibble if you add one to the culture the first day. I added one kibble right away, and the next day worms were around it.

A person from my local club was saying the sponge method didn't work and it 'rotted' and I was like, "rotted? What rotted?" Apparently he put like a whole handful of kibbles on. If the worms haven't touched a kibble within a day, remove it and replace it so there's at least one fresh one on there. Mold is worms' enemy. If a kibble has mold, they won't ever touch it.

#83 Guest_WyRenegade_*

Guest_WyRenegade_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:26 AM

Gotcha - ordered some actual cultures now, instead of starter kits, I'll give that a go. Thanks alot.

#84 Guest_Erica Lyons_*

Guest_Erica Lyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:27 AM

Your transfer percentage also matters. The friend I was talking to whose grindal cultures went foul transferred them by hand, one by one. I showed him my video of how I transferred worms from the soil to the sponge and he admitted that that was many many more than he had transferred. Doing it one by one takes so much time, too.

youtu.be/mnp0uudSpKk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users