• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:54 PM

Thank you!

3,000-4,000 Gallon Pond Full of all sorts of spawning fishes! http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/13811-3560-gallon-native-fish-pond/page-3 

#22 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:33 AM

How is the tank coming along?   O:)

Kevin Wilson

#23 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:36 PM

Well, it's coming. The plants are doing great, I have a couple fish in it, and they have migrated over the waterfall, but the filtration is not up to par, so I'm not sure it's worth posting yet. Hopefully I can figure it out this weekend.

3,000-4,000 Gallon Pond Full of all sorts of spawning fishes! http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/13811-3560-gallon-native-fish-pond/page-3 

#24 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 15 April 2015 - 11:55 AM

OK cool...good luck!  Hmmm, fish migrating...I didn't think about that.  How are you going to handle it?  Move the fish back, keep it in the pool and restock the riffle?

Maybe a fish ladder?  :mrgreen:

Kevin Wilson

#25 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 15 April 2015 - 12:42 PM

Honestly was hoping for migration! I plan to use the tank for examining habitat preferences among different species in a dynamic and changeable environment.

#26 Aquastudent

Aquastudent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Albany, NY

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:31 AM

This is an interesting project! Do you have any updates/photos for us?

#27 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:07 PM

Hello everyone! I have a small update. The glass is kind of dirty and I only have a temporary cover on it, but here are a few quick pictures.

Stocking: 

Bleeding Shiners

Orangefin Shiners

Yoke Darters

Missouri Saddled Darters

Full Tank Shot (You can see a temporary canister filter's, but this will be switched out before long):

Attached File  019.JPG   123.95KB   0 downloads

Land Plants (Bowles Vinca, Chocolate Mint, Virginia Blue Bells, more not pictured) 

Attached File  020.JPG   201.47KB   0 downloads

Water Lilly Base:

Attached File  021.JPG   143.83KB   0 downloads

Interesting Macroalgae:

Attached File  022.JPG   142.66KB   0 downloads

#28 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:36 AM

Wow, just wow. This tank is amazing! You're doing an excellent job with the scape Yeahson!
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#29 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 14 May 2015 - 10:31 AM

Yes, I agree...

More!   :D/  :biggrin:

Kevin Wilson

#30 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 14 May 2015 - 11:03 PM

Thank you both! Well, considering how nice you have been, I've decided to put up some more pictures!

Stream Side:

Attached File  008.JPG   125.64KB   0 downloads

Missouri Saddled Darter:

Attached File  015.JPG   146.59KB   0 downloads

Attached File  011.JPG   147.4KB   0 downloads

Looking Downstream:

Attached File  014.JPG   173.52KB   0 downloads

Crossing the rapids and looking back up:

Attached File  013.JPG   194.31KB   0 downloads

Slackwater Side:

Attached File  005.JPG   126.43KB   0 downloads

A snail is struggling to hang on:

Attached File  012.JPG   172.37KB   0 downloads

A teenage Bleeding Shiner shifts in the output of the rapids:

Attached File  006.JPG   134.6KB   0 downloads

Juvenile Missouri Saddled Darter migrated downstream:

Attached File  007.JPG   132.41KB   0 downloads

The Jungle:

Attached File  002.JPG   218.17KB   0 downloads

Underside of a lily:

Attached File  003.JPG   166.58KB   0 downloads

Thank you all so much for your kind comments! I really appreciate it!

#31 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:20 AM

I'm drooling over your tank.  It's very inspiring to me as I approach my build.  I could sit there for hours on hours and watch that tank!

Kevin Wilson

#32 NotCousteau

NotCousteau
  • NANFA Guest
  • Minnesota

Posted 15 May 2015 - 09:36 AM

Awesome tank.

#33 loopsnj64

loopsnj64
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 18 May 2015 - 05:58 PM

Absolutely stunning tank, great job there  :biggrin:

On another note, how did you get Water Lilies to grow in a tank?

Edited by loopsnj64, 18 May 2015 - 06:12 PM.

"All good things must come to an end, but bad things think thats rather dull, so they stick around long after their natural end has come"

-From an art book I read

#34 Aquastudent

Aquastudent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Albany, NY

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:59 AM

This is an interesting project! That macroalgae picture from the earlier group is really funky! I haven't seen anything like that yet (although I never really looked). There's beauty in algae. I haven't looked deeper than, "oh...it makes those rocks look more natural." You showed that there's more to it!

Nicely done!

#35 MrCatfish

MrCatfish
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 20 May 2015 - 08:56 AM

Nice looking tank!

#36 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 11 February 2016 - 03:20 PM

Just so everyone knows, and for everyone who is considering making a tank like this, to my great dismay about two weeks ago the waterfall joint began leaking. I think the surface just wasn't level enough, even with styrofoam, and the tank pulled in opposite directions, stressing and slowly prying apart the seam. I am sure someone with more knowledge, experience, and patience than I could find a solution, but for now I am going to be shelving this project. As I will be attending my first couple years of college close to home, I will continue keeping natives in aquaria, but I plan to set up a few larger tanks with very efficient filtration to minimize my maintenance. The first of these will be a plywood base, glass wall tank that will be 7 feet long, 18 inches wide, and between 12 and 16 inches tall. I will create a new thread as I accomplish more on this build, thank you to everyone who followed the waterfall tank and appreciated it during its relatively short lifespan.

#37 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 11 February 2016 - 03:43 PM

Are you saying that the two, glued surfaces (where the cut-outs are) pulled apart, or weren't level such that the glued surfaces sheered apart as one or the other settled and water seeped between the two tanks?

If that's the case, it makes some sense, depending on how the surfaces were prepared (scratched/scuffed/etched/roughed up with sandpaper) such that there was more surface area for the bonding agent to adhere to each tank.

Looking at the final set up of your display (which is, err, was very nice) the far left side of the left tank is probably much heavier than anywhere else with all of the sand, gravel, and large rocks piled up.  Having your tank on the foam may have actually been the reason for your failure.  As the heavy, left side compressed the foam under it, the weakest point may have been the [weakly] bonded interface between the two tanks.  The right tank stayed put as the left tank pulled away.  

Knowing that, if it is indeed what happened--you can set yourself up for success next time.  That was a really neat and unique idea.  Just set it up without the foam if the tank(s) are salvageable.

Nick L.

#38 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 11 February 2016 - 04:36 PM

Yes, exactly. When I was tearing down the tanks the same thought regarding distribution of weight occurred to me. I had read that one of the key causes for a seam failure in aquariums is a lack of a level surface, and may suggested styrofoam to making up for the unevenness, but this is a very atypical seam. I do believe that the project is salvageable with a few dozen hours of work to separate the tanks and re-prepare the the two surfaces, but at this point in time, I am not interested in doing so. If someone else is in for the challenge, I will happily sell the tanks off at a very reasonable price. I was fortunate to get these tanks at an incredibly reduced price due to clearance pricing and them being tacked on to a large order by a family friend, so I fortunately haven't lost too much in terms of monetary investment. Time is an entirely different matter, hahaha. But, it works out well. With an increasingly busy schedule and less time spent at home, not dealing with the maintenance on this tank will be very nice. Evaporation is a constant battle with a tank with this much surface area and circulation. The plants actually grew too well, meaning weekly pruning and, if I didn't keep up with them, the occasional algae outbreak from an excess of plants depleting the nutrients in the tank and then dying. For now, I am chocking this tank up to a lesson learned. My next large project will be much more stable, allow me to a keep a larger number of fish, and I will be able to experiment with fluidized bed filtration, sumps, and freshwater refugiums.

#39 gzeiger

gzeiger
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 11 February 2016 - 05:44 PM

Styrofoam is a common recommendation, but it makes no sense.

#40 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member
  • Crooked Creek, Mississippi

Posted 14 February 2016 - 01:15 AM

I sure would like to see this thing with some water in it.  And some wildlife.

-The member currently known as Irate Mormon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users