Accidental 'pet' black bullhead. Help?

28 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_MommiForti_*

Guest_MommiForti_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:45 PM

About 3 months ago, my brother used a minnow trap to catch fishing bait. He brought the leftover "baitfish" home, and gave them to my 9 yr old son.At the same time, he adopted a crawfad from school (they had been a project). In the beginning, it was 4 tiny bluegill, 1 unknown minnow type fish, the black Bullhead, and the crawdad in a 10 gallon. Sheila, the crawdad, met an untimely end when she escaped. Then, the water started getting way cloudier, and one by one, the other fish died. Except this black Bullhead, which my son named Kirby. My father (without my permission) put four barbs in there with Kirby... and all but one died in less than 48 hours. Then he replaced the 3 barbs, so I moved Kirby to his own 3 gallon tank for now.

I know he will eventually need something bigger, but I also have other questions about Kirby. First, what time frame am I looking for, on getting at least a 30 gallon permanent home for Kirby? Second, I don't notice him digging or foraging at night, or ever really, but his belly seems full all the time and he has grown since we got him so he must be eating somewhere lol. Is this normal? Third, besides a crawdad, what could I put with him to help keep the watyer clean? It gets nasty so fast. I'm thinking in this 3 gallon, by himself, a 50% water change every week? Any other tips and tricks? Kiddo has lost so many fish the last few months, he would be devastated if Kirby died.

#2 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:51 PM

The first step is to get him out of that 3 gallon and into something bigger. Even a rubbermaid tub would be a better option. The small bodies of water like the 10 and 3 gallon tanks are much harder to manage than larger aquariums, especially for an inexperienced aquarist. Kirby will ultimately need at least a 75 gallon aquarium, and that will still be fairly cramped. A common mistake many make is buying many aquariums along the way as the fish grows, but it only ends up costing far more that way. You're better off taking the plunge right away. There are a few questions that need answering:
1. What are you using for filtration?
2. What are you feeding?
3. How large is Kirby?
4. Did you let the 3 gallon cycle?

#3 Guest_MommiForti_*

Guest_MommiForti_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:15 PM

1. Right now, the bottom filter for the 3 gallon tank.. I know he will get around a foot long and needs bigger.

2. Right now, sinking crab pellets and larger sinking pellets (I think they're Fish or crustecean based), but only once a day. Half a dozen small pellets and one or two bigger ones.

3. Kirby is just over two inches long.

4. Cycle? Kirby has only been in the 3 gallon for only about 5 hours now. The water is clear, tap water with stress coat added. I don't think he's been in there long enough for it to cycle?

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:30 PM

I agree, Bigger tank, and more research on management. The cloudy water is telling you something.

#5 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:33 PM

If you can, introduce old filter media, or aquarium substrate to the tank right now to at least introduce some beneficial bacteria to the tank.

#6 Guest_MommiForti_*

Guest_MommiForti_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:17 PM

I know the cloudy water (when this 3 gallon does get cloudy, since Kirby only recently moved in) means he needs a bigger tank. I will be putting him in something bigger - but acquiring an at least 50 gallon tank requires time. I need water and fish management tips for that time period. I added bacteria water treatment to the 3 gallon, after the bacteria recommendations. I did do some research into bullheads, and am looking for a 'long' (rather than tall), at least 50 gallon secondhand aquarium in all the places I know to look. I am functioning on a single mom's budget and doing the best I know how to do.

As far as putting him in a big storage tub - what about aeration and filtration? Can I just put the air stone from the 3 gallon tank in there, hooked to its pump?

#7 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:24 PM

I think your best course of action is to start as large of a tub as you can manage with water and some form of movement to start the nitrogen cycle: http://freshaquarium...trogencycle.htm
As for filtration, get a sponge filter for a large tank, 50-80 gallons. It will give you plenty of room for bacteria now, and will allow you to use the same filter whenever you get a new tank. It should cost less than $10.

#8 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:18 PM

These are good suggestions above. If you lived closer to me, I would give you a good sized tank. Posting a want ad on Craigslist, would likely get you somewhere. Be careful though, there are some creeps out there.

In the meantime, treat a tub just as you would an aquarium. Just a body of water. Research for sure, and like I mentioned, try to get any media or substrate from a cycled tank into whatever new tank you are using. If you no longer have access, your local fish shop might help you out. Good luck!

#9 Guest_MommiForti_*

Guest_MommiForti_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:38 PM

Ok. At current, this is my "Colonization: Kirby" plan. As soon as I am able (at most, Kirby will remain in the 3 gallon for a week - I realize this means careful monitoring of his situation, but this is the best I can do) I will get *at least* a 50 gallon tank set up for him. If I am unable to get a tank, I will attempt a permanent Tupperware tub setup - *at least* 50 gallons, easily placed on a floor (so my son can more easily feed and watch Kirby, and the darker tub material should also keep the light in the homemade tank down) and with a homemade sponge filter, whether tub or tank. Whether tub or tank, I will use water, gravel, and fake plants from the 3 gallon (unrinsed) to better create a good bacteria system. Recommendations for cheap things to add to the gravel for more substrate for Kirby to root in are appreciated, as well as ideas for home made hidey caves.

On the sponge filter - how much sponge do I need. For, say, 75-80 galllons, to be safe? Do I really need the PVC pipe, or can I put the sponge on an air tube, with the air stone below so the bubbles flow thru the sponge, without the pipe? Can I use any sponge? Like those giant peanut shaped ones?

#10 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:20 AM

A word of warning on bullhead I learned the hard way. Bullhead are very very good at growing and in a tank they will keep getting bigger.

#11 Guest_aaron7353_*

Guest_aaron7353_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:09 AM

The sponge filters being referenced aren't a typical piece of kitchen sponge. They are like these:

http://www.petsoluti...ge-Filters.aspx

The way they work is by using an air pump, or even better, a power head. Read this to understand a little bit more:

http://deosfluviatil...-Why-Choose-One

I assume you will need, in addition to the sponge filter, a bigger air pump. Luckily, they are not very expensive and often go on sale at big box pet stores. It is also possible that a member or guest on the forum has one they'd be willing to give you. The bigger air pump is necessary to get a higher flow of water through the sponge to allow it to work its magic.

A word of caution: although Kirby needs a larger home, do not be hasty and buy the first 55 gallon tank that pops up on craigslist. A large plastic tub with the sponge filter installed will be plenty sufficient until you can be certain you are getting a quality tank. Also, patience is rewarded when watching for second hand tanks. 55 gallon full set ups (tank, stand, filter) often go for $100 in my area on craigslist. It's just a matter of time. For example, I landed a 125 gallon full setup (flawless tank, quality wood stand, light, glass lids, air pumps, decorations,hang on the back filters, and a canister filter) for $400.

Good luck, please keep us all posted, and don't forget to enjoy Kirby throughout the process. That is, after all, what this is all about.

#12 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:53 AM

Also, a 55 gallon (48"Lx12"Wx20"H) would not be a good option for Kirby. Not only is the extra height wasted / space for a bottom dweller, but it is also too thin for him to be anle to turn around in as an adult. A 75 gallon would really be the best option without getting into the 6 foot range. I have seen them with lids and a light on my local Craigslist for $100. All else that you would need would be substrate (I would recommend sand, softer on his belly) and a large sponge filter. That's it! Kirby should be pretty happy in a tank like this, and would live a long life.

#13 Guest_MommiForti_*

Guest_MommiForti_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:51 AM

I posted a want add for an aquarium on Craigslist - basically I stated that visible appearance of the tank doesn't matter, I just need something that works safely. So we'll see if I get a reply.

Now that I'm somewhere where I can connect my chromebook to internet (One of my jobs, lmao) I can better look into into sponge filters and how they work, from the links Aaron provided above... I'm still planning on at least getting Kirby a large Tupperware/plastic storage tub - but even that will probably take a few days to get all the parts needed together, and to make sure I have adequate space set up for him in my living room. I also have two cats, so if I put the tub on the floor, I'll probably have to keep the lid on unless we're supervising the tank - which means I'll likely have to cut/carve adequate (but too small for cats) holes into the lid of the container. I don't necessarily worry about my cats trying to catch Kirby, but one of my cats weighs 25 lbs, so... It would really suck if she fell in, I think. XD

Also, another question I have is that Kirby doesn't seem to be very active - is it normal for him really to just sort of cruise around at not even half speed? Tho his belly never looks concave, like he's starving, but instead looks a tiny bit bulgy like he's pleasantly full, I do worry that his lack of activity might be a bad sign. Or maybe he's just so chill cuz he feels relatively safe? Could it just be because he's not had a big enough house to adequately root around in? I've also noticed he doesn't like going inside 'cave' structures, but instead prefers to worm his way between the outside of the structure and the side of the tank. He also seems to like lying so he's on his side - he doesn't act like he's in distress, just sort of settles on his belly and slowly rrrrrrroooooooollllflops over onto his side, lmao. I've even come up to the side of the tank and rubrubbed the outside of the tank with my finger, near his belly, lmao, cuz he's like a chubby dog wanting belly rubs.

Once I get his tub or tank set up, I'll get some pictures of him with an actual camera, instead of my phone. He is a rather nice, healthy looking guy, in spite of acting cool as a cucumber. Or girl. XD I don't think there's really a way to tell.

#14 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:14 AM

It's quite normal for him to appear relaxed. Think about how many times during the day you move at "top speed." It's pretty much only when something is wrong. Especially when there's not another fish in there to compete for, or look like, food, there's just not much reason for him to move a lot except to explore his surroundings.

#15 Guest_MommiForti_*

Guest_MommiForti_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:56 AM

An update on Kirby -

I have posted adds in several places, looking for a 50+ gal tank. So far, the only responders want upwards of $200, and right now, I can't do anything that expensive. Even so, Kirby seems to enjoy the 3 gallon tank - all by himself, for the third day now. the water is still amazingly clear, and I have for the first time seen him explore and eat! I haven't been able to get him a tub yet - with him doing so well, and me having to work all weekend, I've not rushed into anything.

#16 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:01 PM

All the advice you got here was good so I dont want you to change your long term plans... but you don't have to rush... I think in one of the past threads you said that Kirby was still less than 3 inches long... If that is right you have some time before you need that big tank... I mean dont get lax or anything... he will grow... but it is a matter on months not days.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#17 Guest_MommiForti_*

Guest_MommiForti_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:27 PM

that's good to know! Here I've been worried it was an immediate thing. I will keep a good eye on him and keep looking for an aquarium, but wont rush it so bad. My son's birthday is the 21st of April-maybe that'll be my "Get Kirby a Bigger House" deadline?

#18 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:47 PM

Would be a great birthday present!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#19 Guest_MommiForti_*

Guest_MommiForti_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:18 PM

LOL All I can say is my kid better remember this when he grows up! Haha. I think Kirby is much happier at least by himself, even if he can't stay in that three gallon tank for very long. He's exploring a bit, in the evenings/early mornings, and before when he was in the ten gallon with other fish, he stayed hidden all the time and I didn't even see him eat once. He still seems kind of 'jumpy' when someone sits/stands next to his tank (Big amorphous blob comes your way and you're only two inches long - your best bet is to freeze and pray they don't see you, right? LOL) but he seems happier. Tho I'm a bit anxious about trying to find him an actual decent sized house, I'm also excited. I've never had an aquarium as big as the one I'll be getting, or kept a fish that has the potential to get this big. I'm curious if there's a way I can at least make a semi-educated guess about his gender? I know some fish have 'grabby' fins on the underside of their tails for holding on during breeding, or somesuch, right? Also, I am curious - could I occasionally give him a piece of hamburger or chicken or veggies? Not massive plates of leftovers, but little chunks of stuff?

#20 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:27 PM

I cannot recommend any people food type items... with maybe one exception... raw shrimp. But really he will be happier and healthier with a basic well rounded fish food (like something called Wardley's Shrimp Pellets) that sinks to the bottom, where he will most likely be when you approach the tank. Also, if you feed him once a day at the same place and time he will eventually learn that the large person thing outside the tank is not a threat, but a dinner bell! Now I am not sure that Kirby has the worlds best eyesight (he is after all a nocturnal predator and is equipped with those marvelous whiskers for sensing things in the dark). But I am sure that he will learn about you bringing food! Bullheads are eating machines. But back to the raw shrimp... bullheads eat fish and crayfish in the wild and some raw shrimp would not be a bad treat occasionally.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users